Question about compatibilty for different microSD card capacities

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by The Chow, Mar 24, 2008.

1. The Chow
    OP

The Chow Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    This is mainly asking in regards to the Acekard 2, but I'll also extend the question for Flash cards in general.

If some MicroSD cards of a certain brand are known to work efficiently (such as FMVs, etc), is it safe to assume that other cards of the same brand with more memory will work as well? What about for MicroSDHC versions from the same brand?

Eg: 2GB microSD Kingston cards were tested, and seem to work fine. Is it safe to assume that the 4GB microSDHC (class 4) Kingston card would have the same result?

2. gratefulbuddy

gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    on the wheel
    Assume nothing.

3. golden

golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

Dec 1, 2007
    United States
    I second this.

4. bollocks

bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 29, 2005
    this is especially true of microSD cards - there aren't many companies with the ability to manufacture them, so most just rebrand. you can see this with the kingston japan/taiwan fiasco, for instance. never assume that cards sold under the same brand come from the same manufacturer.

your best bet is to get one in a store where you can actually see the card in the packaging - with non-HC if it says "SD-CXXX JAPAN" (where XXX is the capacity) on it, it's a toshiba and you're probably good to go. no idea if HC are the same, though, i don't have any (yet)

5. Chedderknight

Chedderknight GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2008
    United States
    Los Angeles
    its the luck of the draw, but like others, assume nothing