Hardware Question about buying a N3DS

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to buy a new 3DS XL but I'm afraid if I wait for it to come out in the US, the firmware will be too up to date at the time of release to be able to use my Gateway card. I'm thinking about ordering a 3DS LL off Ebay and spending the bit of extra money to get one now but one of my concerns is the language. Is it possible at all to change the system language to English or is it all in Japanese? At the end of the day I guess this would not really affect me too much since I have a 3ds already, know my way around the console and settings and would still know how to launch Gateway and my games which would be English,

I'm just curious if it's possible to change the system language. also, if I'm looking to buy a N3ds to use a Gateway on am I better off getting the jpn version now from ebay (or any better places to order from?) with a FW that will (allegedly) be supported by Gateway soon, or wait for the US version to come out and buy it then.

Shanester

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, all language in the menus and such will be in JP. Secondly, if you buy now, the firmware should be lower than 9.3. I'll be in the same boat as you because I'm picking up a JP console as well and I don't know a lick of japanese. Just have to pray that GW releases an update (which all signs point to them doing so soon).

AlexaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If you want it in English, you can pick up N3DS PAL.. but it's a bit expensive of course.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want it in English, you can pick up N3DS PAL.. but it's a bit expensive of course.

229 AU(Approximately US $185.78) is the low water mark for a N3DS XL from target(via ebay.com.au) (but you would have to have a friend ship it to you or use a middle man shipper.)

edit: 2 units of the N3DS XL sold prior to Christmas from another retailer for 199 AU w/o shipping inc (Approximately US $ 161.89) but since then the same retailer has steadily raised prices from 199 AU to current 259 AU (w/o shipping)

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So out of curiosity I started looking into ebay.com.au and I see some reasonably priced ones on there, as well as the super smash version which I might be interested in as well. Some of them say they ship worldwide, if this is the case then in theory I purchase it with my ebay account and just have them ship it to the US and ebay/paypal would convert the currency or would I need some sort of Australian account/card to be able to even purchase it. I mean I saw some that said worldwide, clicked on it and it was going to let me commit to buy, but I didn't want to click it incase it wouldn't allow me to pay them for whatever reason.

The other thing is I have a friend who lives in New Zealand so I was thinking if I can't purchase it and have it shipped to me no matter what through ebay I could have it shipped to him and he can ship it to me? Or he could purchase one in a store and ship it to me rather than going through ebay?

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just paid $270 with shipping for an AUS(pal) unit shipping to USA. it should be here next year Monday :P

The thought had crossed my mind when it was first available in Australia but the costs were too high to get it imported to Canada then and now that there are sellers on eBay selling the New 3DS for a reasonable price it kind of feels dated and the the 'it's New and nobody has yet' feeling has went away for me.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thought had crossed my mind when it was first available in Australia but the costs were too high to get it imported to Canada then and now that there are sellers on eBay selling the New 3DS for a reasonable price it kind of feels dated and the the 'it's New and nobody has yet' feeling has went away for me.

for me it isn't about having the newest of the newest - it's about having the 'oldest' of the newest - the oldest firmware of the newest 3ds

Reactions: futaris

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for me it isn't about having the newest of the newest - it's about having the 'oldest' of the newest - the oldest firmware of the newest 3ds

Yes, 17 months(and counting since it's release[not to mention the time lost while in pre-production/original announcement]) some people have been waiting for post 4.5 exploit from GateWay.
They guessed wrong believing a new up-to-date exploit would be right around the corner or never hear about it in time.
Move quickly or atleast don't regret your decision if there is no working exploit(months/years/ever) when the NEW 3ds models enter the North American/European markets some time in 2015.

This is when 4.5 went bye-bye
  • 25 March 13 Nintendo released system update 5.0.0-11.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Makes of difference after 9.x firmware IMHO, 4.5 on the old 3DS is where all the magic happens that's why Gateway still recommends staying on. If you're afraid then why not just stick with the oldest hardware on the oldest firmware it's not like at this point Gateway has a solution for your oldest firmware on newest hardware dream yet.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

Makes of difference after 9.x firmware IMHO, 4.5 on the old 3DS is where all the magic happens that's why Gateway still recommends staying on. If you're afraid then why not just stick with the oldest hardware on the oldest firmware it's not like at this point Gateway has a solution for your oldest firmware on newest hardware dream yet.

thats why i bought a few N3DS XL on 9.0 :)

Reactions: Bug_Checker_

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not worried about features - just as long as I can use my gateway card on the n3ds, even if it's like 'gateway 1.0'. even still - their video shows plenty of magic happening on 9.0 so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I snagged up a (probably) 9.0 aus n3ds. I don't regret it and I'm super excited to use 3ds for once - from what reviews are saying the n3ds 3d function is 'the way it should have been'

I'm pumped!

cheesylard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a Japanese N3DS and I taught myself Hiragana and Katakana (Japanese alphabet) and I just put the words in Google Translate. It's only about 90 characters and with websites like Practice – Real Kana you can memorize it in like 5 days. I've had no real issues.

I started on http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete and I stopped after the Katakana section. Of course there's Kanji, which is the ridiculously hard part, but you don't really need to learn it if you're just putting everything else in Google Translate anyway, you can usually guess what it's saying with context clues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: