Question about bootmii!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mayonaze, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010

Question about bootmii! by mayonaze at 11:53 PM (1,576 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. mayonaze
    OP

Member mayonaze GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When I had this softmodded, the guy told me I did not need to back up my wii lol. Well I've had it modded for about six months works great fro me. But I want to have a back up just in case a brick happens! I have the parental controls on and 24 connect off. ( But my netflix instant play asks to update if the wifi cuts out and I have to reconnect! Ive told everyone never to update I'm just nervous because the potential is there!
    I guess Im a little confused about bootmii, Do you guys use bootmii all the time and navigate where you want to go from there? Or this is just a back up option you would save on the computer along with your backed up nand or wii. in case of a brick? Is this right I don't know?
    anyways I dont have a nand back up and need one! thanks everyone

2. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Bootmii allows you to install 1 of 2 ways, or in some situations both ways:

1.Bootmii as an IOS
    2.Bootmii as boot2

Installing as either or both is fine, but boot2 is preffered (if you wii can install it as boot2)
    Bootmii as an IOS is at it's best when Priiloader is installed, so you can launch the HBC, and then Bootmii from there.Newer versions of Priiloader let you load bootmii right from Priiloader itself.

What it does is allow you to back up you Wii's nand,and allows you to restore your nand from said backup.

What I do is everytime I update, is I make a Nand backup, and copy it to my PC for safekeeping. I have a nand backup from every system menu from 3.2 on up (except 4.3)

Now, in the event of any brick that you can't manually fix, you can just launch bootmii,and restore your nand (if you backed it up)

3. mayonaze
    OP

United States

How do I find out when my wii was made so I can install bootmii as boot2 accordingly? Im pretty sure it was made before mid 2008?

4. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    There is no way to know when exactly your wii was made but you can get an idea by looking at the wii serial's number at the bottom of the wii. But anyways the important thing is that if during the installation bootmii gives the option to install bootmii as boot2 then you can install it as boot2. If is says something like the "installed boot1 prevent...." then you can't install it as boot2 only as an ios.

5. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Check your Wii serial. IIRC, BootMii can be installed as Boot2 in some consoles with serials that start with LU3X and LU5X.

6. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    Great that's all I need to know then I guess. I have one more question after installing and backing up the wii, do i always use bootmii to access wii/homebrew channel? Or Do i simply put on root of sd in the case of a Bricked wii? ( Am I making sense?

7. Burton

Puerto Rico
    You can set it to boot the wii normally or to boot directly into the hbc. To choose how you want to boot your wii you have to edit the bootmii.ini inside the bootmii folder at the root of your sd.

Example:
    # Autoboot, possible settings:
    # SYSMENU, HBC
    AUTOBOOT= ---------> choose sysmenu if you want to boot normally or hbc if you want to boot directly to hbc
    BOOTDELAY=5 ---------------> it means that after 5 seconds bootmii will boot into chosen autoboot. You can change this value too.

8. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    I'm still confused! First how do I edit the bootmii.ini? I want the wii to boot normally. If it autoboots normally then how do i access bootmii and restore nand backup in case of bricked wii?

9. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    open up the bootmii.ini with notepad

edit it how the guy above said.

to boot back into bootmii then edit the file again.

i just backup the bootmii folder onto my pc until i need to run it, then just put it back on the sd card.

10. Burton

Puerto Rico
    To edit the bootmii.ini file you have to take out the sd from the wii, insert it in your computer and open bootmii.ini with notepad or wordpad.

Then edit the values. You can set the autoboot to a specific time or stop it by pressing reset button on your wii during the autobooting.

11. DarkMatterCore

Venezuela
  12. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    same difference
    thats what its made for.

13. DarkMatterCore

Venezuela
    Exactly. That's why he should use it if he's so confused with the bootmii.ini edition.

14. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    well I just thought maybe the guy added all of this when modding my wii so, I read I can access bootmii through the HBC By pressing home button, and clicking launch bootmii. When I click this the wii crashes blinks the blue light around cd insert? When I had it modded I took it to someone so if he backed it up its on his computer not mine lol?

15. Burton

Puerto Rico
    I thought recommending him that app, but I wanted him to think a little, didn't want to make things too easy.

16. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    This is all just so overwhelming and scary, I dont want to brick my wii! Is there a bootmii install that is just that? Or Do i have to install all of these? I mean I already have the HBC DVDX, I just want to make my wii safe from bricking? Am I going about this wrong any input is appreciated!
    * BootMii public beta 4
    * The Homebrew Channel 1.0.6
    * DVDX v2

17. Burton

Puerto Rico
    Edit:

Let's start fresh, You can install the homebrew channel and bootmii too. If if gives the option to install bootmii as boot2 is better. About dvdx is your choice. It is safe to install this package.

18. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    Ok So I have installed onto root of sd card no problem. I load through The Home Brew Channel, and of course I'm one of the unlucky ones it says bootmii can only be installed as an IOS. Which the completesoftmodguide says will give me no brick protection!
    "Glossary Bootmii IOS - It is possible to install bootmii as IOS. This gives you no brick protection as it is booted with the system menu. Bootmii IOS can create or restore NAND backups, but restoring without BootMii Boot2 is not recommended."

I don't know what to do? I shouldn't do this then anyways right? If restoring without boot2 is not recommended! Is there nothing for me to do?

19. DarkMatterCore

Venezuela
    Use Priiloader. That will at least protect you from Theme Bricks, Banner Bricks, Semi-Bricks and any other type of brick that is NOT a Full Brick (related to the deletion of the System Menu or its IOS, or well, by replacing that IOS with a stub). Install it when you have patched the IOS 36 with TBR, not right now.

20. mayonaze
    OP

United States
    " Install it when you have patched the IOS 36 with TBR, not right now."
    How do i do this?