Hacking Question about BootMii

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used a 64MB SD card to mod a virgin 4.1U Wii and install BootMii as Boot2. To be safe I wanted to make a backup of the NAND before installing the final piece cIOSCorp 3.1

The NAND is 600MB so I obviously cannot use the 64MB card. So I copied all the contents of that SD card to my PC and transferred it to my 8GB SD Card. I pop in the 8GB SD Card and turn on the Wii and it doesn't boot to BootMii. If this Wii ever bricked and I do not have the original 512MB will I be screwed? How do I get the 8GB to boot BootMii?

Also as an additional question, if BootMii was installed by IOS how does that make a difference? I ask because these memory cards are used for different things so I don't want to screw myself over if I ever format this card when I shouldn't.

Edit: I turned on the Wii with the 64MB inserted and got to the BootMii menu, then I took it out of the Wii and put in the 8GB card and then dumped the NAND. Now in the PC it shows nand.bin as being 0KB. I thought it was a 600MB file, did something screw up?

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK try this. Boot it up with ur small sd card so wai when ur in the bootmii screen,.And switch it with ur 8 gb and then make a backup. Thats wat i did. Oh make sure you have the bootmii files and both of them.. See if it works. Or else just wait till ur card gets supported.

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
justinrocks123 said:
OK try this. Boot it up with ur small sd card.And switch it with ur 8 gb to make a backup. Thats wat i did. Oh make sure you have the bootmii files and both of them.. See if it works.
Thanks I tried that (see edit) lol but the NAND shows zero kb! But when I clicked on properties of the card it said 500+ MB are being used when there is only like 20mb on data on the 8GB card...

I am really confused. Also mainly I want to know if there is a way if I brick this Wii and have NO SD card, can I go to the store buy a brand new SD card and copy every file that were made originally on my 512MB to this new SD card and boot it from there?

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well try beta 1 then. My 2gb card doesn/t work on beta 2 but on the first one yess lol. So install beta one and see if it works on your 8 gb.

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
justinrocks123 said:
Well try beta 1 then. My 2gb card doesn/t work on beta 2 but on the first one yess lol. So install beta one and see if it works on your 8 gb.
I have no clue what that is lol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not really related to the initial question.

But can you make multiple NAND backups to the same SD card?

Also, do you have to do a NAND backup on to the same SD card with Bootmii on it? Or could I load bootmii with my normal SD, then switch SD cards to do a restore?

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
105167 said:
Not really related to the initial question.

But can you make multiple NAND backups to the same SD card?

Also, do you have to do a NAND backup on to the same SD card with Bootmii on it? Or could I load bootmii with my normal SD, then switch SD cards to do a restore?
That is kinda what I am trying to figure out lol

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can only have one NAND backup on an SD card at a time, but you can back the nand.bin up to your pc and then make a new one on the same card and keep doing that if you want multiple backups.

As for the 0kb problem, if you skipped the verification when it allowed you to, it will make that happen. DO NOT SKIP VERIFICATION.

Also did you copy the bootmii folder over to the 8GB card from the 64MB one?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do you have a micro SD and a normal SD adapter ?

63kingston_1gb_micro_sd_.jpg

these work
smile.gif
(although not tested with over 2gb cards ..1gb and 2gb cards work!)

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Btw, if there is a problem with any sd/sdhc card the panasonic sd formatter could help.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4003

That's no joke!
Before i read something about this tool bootmii wouldn't recognize an 4gb Kingston sdhc and one 2gb sd card from Tanscend.
Both cards work fine on my pc and i format them again and again with Windows as FAT and FAT32, but they didn't work in my Wii.

After i format them with the panasonic sd formatter they work also with bootmii.

I don't know why and i didn't understand what's the different between FAT and FAT, but it's true.

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
You can only have one NAND backup on an SD card at a time, but you can back the nand.bin up to your pc and then make a new one on the same card and keep doing that if you want multiple backups.

As for the 0kb problem, if you skipped the verification when it allowed you to, it will make that happen. DO NOT SKIP VERIFICATION.

Oh haha that might be my problem.

And yes I copied ALL contents from the 64MB to the 8GB one and the 8GB one doesn't go to BootMii but the 64MB will and a new 512MB stick also does when I copy the files.

I bought a 2GB MicroSD card with SD adapter today and that didn't work either. I will try NAND dump without skipping verification and see if that works!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sajiko said:
nabster92 said:

And yes I copied ALL contents from the 64MB to the 8GB one and the 8GB one doesn't go to BootMii but the 64MB will and a new 512MB stick also does when I copy the files.

I bought a 2GB MicroSD card with SD adapter today and that didn't work either. I will try NAND dump without skipping verification and see if that works!

make sure that the micro sd is pushed in properly to the adapter and make sure the LOCK is not slipped on on the adapter and make sure its pushed in firmly into the Wii ... just be careful though some adapters can get stuck they can be removed but takes a little more effort
smile.gif

make sure you have formatted the micro sd first and that its FAT not FAT32
smile.gif

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kobykaan said:
Sajiko said:
nabster92 said:

make sure that the micro sd is pushed in properly to the adapter and make sure the LOCK is not slipped on on the adapter and make sure its pushed in firmly into the Wii ... just be careful though some adapters can get stuck they can be removed but takes a little more effort
smile.gif

make sure you have formatted the micro sd first and that its FAT not FAT32
smile.gif
After let verify the NAND shows 528MB on the 8GB SD card. I used the 512MB to boot BootMii and then switched it out for the 8GB to back up the NAND. Seems to work.

Also with the 2GB I did format in both FAT and FAT32 and made sure it could be read by PC, and Wii but still doesn't boot the BootMii.

Has anyone gotten a card over 1GB to boot BootMii?

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the double post but I have another new question.

Ok so you know how BootMii creates the bootmii folder on the SD card right? Is that the ONLY folder (with the 3 files inside) I need on the SD card (and NAND on SD Root if I want to install the NAND if I bricked) in order for the Wii to boot up in BootMii? And if so, are the 3 files inside the BootMii folder:

ppcboot.elf
armboot.bin
bootmii.ini

Are those 3 files unique to each Wii? In other words if I back up my bootmii folder and mod family members and they brick in the future can I use my BootMii folder that was created on my Wii with those 3 files on their Wii without any issue (obviously using their NAND backup)? Or do I have to use the bootmii folder that was created on their Wii on their Wii console.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sajiko said:

Ok so you know how BootMii creates the bootmii folder on the SD card right? Is that the ONLY folder (with the 3 files inside) I need on the SD card (and NAND on SD Root if I want to install the NAND if I bricked) in order for the Wii to boot up in BootMii? And if so, are the 3 files inside the BootMii folder:

ppcboot.elf
armboot.bin
bootmii.ini

Are those 3 files unique to each Wii? In other words if I back up my bootmii folder and mod family members and they brick in the future can I use my BootMii folder that was created on my Wii with those 3 files on their Wii without any issue (obviously using their NAND backup)? Or do I have to use the bootmii folder that was created on their Wii on their Wii console.

yes you can use your cards settings I have a backup of my entire card when I do a wii and take a nand dump I just backup the nand then delete it off the mem card and then use the same card with the same settings on the next one
smile.gif

JUST REMEMBER DO NOT LEAVE THE NAND on the card and ACCIDENTALLY WRITE SOMEONE ELSE'S NAND to SOMEONE ELSE'S Wii or YOUR OWN! it will screw yours or their Wii bigtime!

Sajiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kobykaan said:
Sajiko said:

ppcboot.elf
armboot.bin
bootmii.ini

yes you can use your cards settings I have a backup of my entire card when I do a wii and take a nand dump I just backup the nand then delete it off the mem card and then use the same card with the same settings on the next one
smile.gif

JUST REMEMBER DO NOT LEAVE THE NAND on the card and ACCIDENTALLY WRITE SOMEONE ELSE'S NAND to SOMEONE ELSE'S Wii or YOUR OWN! it will screw yours or their Wii bigtime!

Thanks for the insight, I have folders on my PC with the serials of friends/family's Wiis that I have done so it won't get mixed up. But nice to know I do not need to backup the BootMii folder and inside contents everytime.

azeazezar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you get a 0 MB nand file, it becouse you didnt let it finish verification. Its a known bug.
Format your SD card and try again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello