Hardware GBA Question About Bootlegs - Sort of Big Cart

wagfo123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reposting this from Reddit:

I recently bought a bundle of the 3 GBA Castlevania games. The listing didn’t advertise them as bootlegs, but I’m not necessarily against bootlegs. Only problem, and I’m not sure if it’s a problem, is that the carts are a little big. They fit in my gba and play fine, but the top sticks out a little, whereas legit carts are about even with the top of the system. I read online that bootleg carts that are a little too big like this can damage your system. Anyone know if this is true?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. Most repros/bootlegs usually manage to be the same size -- there were some flash carts that exceeded the GBA size but repros have typically managed to be the same size (certainly not seen it noted in any of the "repro or not"/"can I overwrite"/... threads).

Anyway few ways it might damage things
1) Circuitry drives things harder or in odd ways (which could include software, though that would be rare for a repro or hack) and damages things accordingly. Without testing or seeing (assuming there is even something to see there -- lots of things are nice epoxy blob) can't say much there.
2) Sticking out the top induces some odd forces (I assume you have seen a phone or laptop charger be tweaked and not work accordingly, same idea). However it would have to be some mechanical force.
3) If it is too thick then it might put more force on the spring pins or slot itself.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Oh, and I have no idea how to get past this gap - it's too close to the roof. https://imgur.com/A2mYGPy
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    @kenenthk I used OpenMPT to make all the music. My brother will be helping out with some more tunes in the future!
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    @RichardTheKing Thank you so much for pointing out that dialog bug!! I never noticed it while finishing up these new boss fights..

And that gap on that level should be close enough to jump if you run? I might have to lower that platform a bit maybe?
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Thanks so much for the feedback!! You are awesome!!
  • DrunkenMonk @ DrunkenMonk:
    RIP GBA section 2021 :cry:
  • Darth Meteos @ Darth Meteos:
    Has the GBA section been removed? :O
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Wait WHAT???
  • Undwiz @ Undwiz:
    I'll be banned after this My Wife passed away 3 months ago , We have 3 kids. Living in a Motel right now . I make enough for a place but need a deposit.... Please help share the word. paypal.me/jdcass82 Sorry , I'll take the Ban if need be , just trying to get a home and out this Motel ... Need to get My Kids out of this place.
  • Shadowfied @ Shadowfied:
    hello
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    is this the krusty krab?
  • T @ tsao:
    no this is tsao
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    gbatemp.net/groups/ Yeah, I can see cloned groups here. Like, there's FOUR "The Nintendo group!"s all done by Crazynoob458. Glitch, a la cloned blogs?
    one tsaoburger please
    +1
    leave the chips
    +1
    @RichardTheKing nah mate, groups are sorted by Most messages etc, that's likely why you see "dupe" groups
  • T @ tsao:
    do you want a drink or nah
    yeh one medium Volvic please
  • T @ tsao:
    anything extra?
    a new Vita charger cable would be cool
  • Wavy @ Wavy:
    Could I order two number 9's, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45's, one with cheese, and a large soda.
    I'll have*
    #sorrynotsorrySAspeedrunner
    +1
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    where am i going? and what's with this handbasket?
    if you want that bottle of wine I suggest you keep quiet!
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: if you want that bottle of wine I suggest you keep quiet!