Question about body language and psychology.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Theraima, Nov 2, 2011.

Nov 2, 2011
  1. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    I've lately been thinking about a lot of stuff and my studies at that also. So I was wondering if the Tempers could help me on this. Okay, here goes : Under what category do body language and microexpressions fall in psychology? As far as I know , they are connected, but I have no idea of the specific details about that. Also, it seems to me that psychology focuses on the human mind..

All help is appreciated!

2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    You remember the studies where they charted the human mind. They would fall under the medical side. What if a mental disorder was solely caused off of pain from a body part. What if a mental disorder was the cause of body movements. Knowing how these are connected could save you a huge load of trouble in diagnosis.

I have twitch on my face that shows up very rarely and makes me look like I am sneering. I only have that twitch due to the heart attack that ruined my nerves on select area(s) of my body.

It falls under body language. But isn't really a psychological problem. (unless you count the trouble for me for having to explain the sneer that just popped up out of nowhere and having to smooth peoples feeling from imagined emotions from that sneer). This symptom could also be part of a multitude of other diseases not necessarily of the mind.

You might not think these things would relate but wouldn't it help you diagnose if you knew more?

I really have to smile for it to affect my whole face, otherwise it looks like I am only partly into smiling, The trick to this is let your whole face smile and make sure the person you smile at is looking at your eyes more than your mouth. I had to learn that. I have to use this when I do sales jobs otherwise the customer I am trying to sell to doesn't think I am genuine.

I know this doesn't really answer your question....

3. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I have problems with looking people in the eye. People interpret this as insulting. I know it's screwing me socially but most people have such a lack of compassion or understanding.

1 person likes this.
  4. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Well this fell apart quite quickly, so I thought just to bump it up. (Also whats worse, bumping a few months old thread or just start a new one about the same topic?)

Anyway. Back on the topic then. I've been lately (well almost a year now) very interested in microexpressions and reading body language. As you may guess, yes it was Lie to Me for the microexpression part. But still, I've been doing research for a while now and I'm about to order maybe a couple of Ekman's books.

But my real question is, is there a way for me to dedicate/focus my studies on these things? I know they are a part of psychology, but I've been feeling that I want to focus on these two subjects in particular.

5. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    well than you would have to start with a very broad cultural and historical study. For the way history has affected certain cultural upbringing, and the way geographic location can have a bearing on body language. That whole hardship in location and psychology of language deal. You are in for quite a lot more work than I think you were prepared for. There is just so many things that factor into that. the worst of this would be the medical study you will have to go through to make sure what you are assuming is body language isn't really due to some form of medical disorder.

I forsee a journey of many many years and vast travel ahead of you. That is if you are serious about this.