Question about black friday

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, as my first thanks giving in America, I want to know a little more about black friday.
My aunt's washing and dryer machines broke two months ago and we want to get new ones, so I don't know if stores actually have discounts on home appliances, do they?

I'm also thinking on getting either a PS2 or a Wii (360 maybe?), but I don't know if they also discount that kind of electronics.

I mean, I know no one could know for sure, but I really want to hear your experiences on previous years. What did you got?, at what time did you went to shop?, is it RLY madness inside the stores?

Thanks!

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the friday after thanksgiving is the most busiest shopping day of the year so they offer great discounts and bargins !

for example toys r us has a deal where you buy 2 wii games this year and you get the third free ;-)

and yes its TOTAL MADNESS !

one year k mart or something were selling 40 dollar dvd players and when the store open i think 3 ladies got trampled lol

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want electronics, I would say the best play is best buy. you have to get to best buy by about 10pm the day before to have a change to get anything good. last year I got an external 250GB HDD for about 30$ and some 2GB SD cards for like 10$. they also have laptops on sale, tons of games, and just about everything.

you have to get in line the night before because they pass out papers that give you the right to buy something for the more expensive and popular things (like game system deals, or computer deals.)

camping out there at night was really fun too ^^; if you have someone to talk to. oh... and they open at like 4 am o_o;;

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want electronics, I would say the best play is best buy. you have to get to best buy by about 10pm the day before to have a change to get anything good. last year I got an external 250GB HDD for about 30$Â and some 2GB SD cards for like 10$. they also have laptops on sale, tons of games, and just about everything.

you have to get in line the night before because they pass out papers that give you the right to buy something for the more expensive and popular things (like game system deals, or computer deals.)

camping out there at night was really fun too ^^; if you have someone to talk to. oh... and they open at like 4 am o_o;;
Yeah it is fun to camp out if you have someone to talk to. I might camp out if I find some great deal, but I'm in DC so a) I have no friends here and b) It's fucking COLD at night.

F

Fiddy101

is it RLY madness inside the stores?

Thanks!
MADNESS THIS IS
rofl2.gif

michaelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, here's the way to handle black friday. Get ads together for places that have things you like. I've tended to like Circuit City for some reason even though I don't like shopping there any other day of the year. Evaluate the sales and figure out what you want to get and pick ONE place to go.

If you want a piece of electronics like a tv or dvd player, get your self to that store around 4 in the morning since quantities are usually very limited. If you're like me you just don't sleep that night. One thing to keep in mind is that it's usually the off brands that go on the big sales. So don't expect a $10 dvd player to have a lot of features or last that long. On the other hand, you only spent $10 so who cares! I got a 36" Apex tv one year. It wasn't great but it still works an only cost $200.

If you want a bunch of dvd's or games you can go a little later. Make sure you know when they open since the hours are much different for that day and wear something warm. Don't forget to bring a DS or something to pass the time.

After you get what you want go as far away from any retailer, mall, and coffee shop as soon as you can. Just get off the roads. The rest of the day will be PACKED with people and you'll likely not be able to find anything good anyhow. DVD, music and game racks will have been long picked clean. Anything remotely popular is long gone. It's always in interesting experience and it's pretty fun to see all the parents get ready for the long road ahead. So get your game plan together and have fun!

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want electronics, I would say the best play is best buy. you have to get to best buy by about 10pm the day before to have a change to get anything good. last year I got an external 250GB HDD for about 30$Â and some 2GB SD cards for like 10$. they also have laptops on sale, tons of games, and just about everything.

you have to get in line the night before because they pass out papers that give you the right to buy something for the more expensive and popular things (like game system deals, or computer deals.)

Yeah it is fun to camp out if you have someone to talk to. I might camp out if I find some great deal, but I'm in DC so a) I have no friends here and b) It's fucking COLD at night.

I'm in that area too. But since my aunt doesn't drive yet, I'll have to take my family, we really need a washing a a dryer machine.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forget Best Buy and Circuit Shitty unless you want to camp from basically Thanksgiving early evening.

Sears & larger hardware stores might have deals on Washer/Dryers. If you want electronics, go to Office Max or Office Depot. You will only need to be there maybe 2 hours before opening.

And, of course marvel at the spectacle of American Soccer Moms plowing through crows with elbows akimbo fighting for $50 bucks off a toy for their brood of brats.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VVoltz, I've been paying attention to and going to sales on Black Friday for about 5 years in a row now, and I don't recall ever seeing a deal on a decent Washer and Dryer that was exclusive to Black Friday. Sears might have a Kenmore sale, but I doubt Best Buy will have a special deal on a Washer and Dryer for just Friday. It's more likely that they'll have one specific monitor, and a couple flat screen tv's, one or two computer towers / laptops that will appear to be a really great price.

My advice would be to compare weekly sales with review sites like Consumer Reports and try to find a reasonably priced set. Black Friday will probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth for a washer & dryer.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn...I dunno where I'm gonna go
unsure.gif
been scanning the deals and each store has something special.

Once I decide on a store, maybe I'll try to get something together for GBAtemp members camping there : D

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We only have Boxing day in Canada I belive

is that where like... everyone lines up outside of stores and when the stores open, everyone starts to box and the winner gets the low prices?

We have that too, but we get 100% discount and ours are random depending on blackouts or riots.

god i hate shopping from after thanksgiving to xmas, gotta get in packed stores next to some guy smelling like armpits and ass. not to mention all the craps sold out, thank god for internet shopping.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
VVoltz, I've been paying attention to and going to sales on Black Friday for about 5 years in a row now, and I don't recall ever seeing a deal on a decent Washer and Dryer that was exclusive to Black Friday. Sears might have a Kenmore sale, but I doubt Best Buy will have a special deal on a Washer and Dryer for just Friday. It's more likely that they'll have one specific monitor, and a couple flat screen tv's, one or two computer towers / laptops that will appear to be a really great price.

My advice would be to compare weekly sales with review sites like Consumer Reports and try to find a reasonably priced set. Black Friday will probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth for a washer & dryer.

Well, that is a good advice, thanks Szyslak.
I won't lose faith if I don't get the washing and dryer machines this friday then.

Also thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread!
bow.gif

I just wanna let you guys know my aunt, uncle and I got a dryer + washing machine combo from Best But at 500USD, pretty sweet deal of you ask me. This is great, we won't have to spend 2 hours of all of our Sunday going to the Laundromat place.
Thanks again to all of you that contributed.
bow.gif

And just for the record it wasn't all that madness, it was just crowded =)

Edit: Posts edited together.
happy.gif
- Ace

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs