Question about backing up games and mds files...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by War, Nov 29, 2007.

Nov 29, 2007
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I've got a small question. I have a friend who has a BUNCH of good PS2 games, so I asked him if I could borrow some to back up and then burn a copy for myself. I've only tried one so far (I don't have my Swap Magic yet, so since I can't test if the DVDs work, I don't wanna burn a bunch of DVD's and then find out that they don't work on SM)

So I backed the game up (.hack GU// Volume 3) just fine using DVD Decrypter. But... when I went to burn the disc, I noticed something. The game I backed up wasn't just an iso. There was an .iso file AND an .mds file...

I was a little confused by that. I burned JUST the iso, and left the .mds intact. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Can someone explain about .mds files further?

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    mds:iso::cue:bin

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    So was I supposed to burn both of them into the disc? Damn. If I was, I just wasted a DVD.

4. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    MDS is to ISO and Cue is to Bin

"A CUE-sheet is a plaintext file describing the structure and the location of the BIN-file"

It should work with just burning the Iso

5. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Oh, I see. So basically, when you have an MDS and an ISO, use the ISO, and when you have a BIN and a CUE, use the BIN?

6. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    If you need to burn a bin you usually load up the cue file as that tells the program how to burn the file

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. [​IMG] - Ace

7. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The recommended way is to use the MDS - it contains a bit of information about the layout of the ISO. DVD Decrypter complains if you try and burn an ISO when there is an MDS present IIRC - it still does it but moans at you [​IMG]

Worth getting hold of imgburn (if you havent already). It makes copying discs an awful lot easier (just click the add to cue box)

http://www.imgburn.com/

8. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Thanks guys, I think I get it now.

Also, one more question... Since I don't have my Swap yet and I can't check, is there any other wayto check if the game was burner correctly and will work?

9. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    You might be able to run the cue against the disk and see if they match, but they will only tell you if it burned how it was supposed to

10. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    the only other way i can think of is, if you have a powerful PC to try the PS2 emulator but as I say you need a good PC for it work, in addition be aware that there is not 100% compatibility.

11. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If you use the imgburn program and tick the 'verify' box when writing it will calculate an MDS checksum for the image on the hard drive and also the image you have written. It's a pretty good indication of whether you've burned the disc correctly.