Hacking Question about a PSP I bought online

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just bought a used PSP 3001 2 days ago from MercadoLivre ( Libre in Spanish speaking countries ).
The console has CFW according to the seller, but something left me confused. And that is the fact that it comes with 3 memory sticks.

It's a 4GB one, a 8GB one and a 1GB one.
It says this:
"Comes with 3 cards: A 4GB one, a 8GB one and 1GB one to run the CFW"

I kinda know how CFW on the PSP works, you just install it and then run Fast Recovery everytime you boot the system off.
But why is this dude selling it with an SD card used only for that? Isn't it easier to just throw the Fast Recovery and Update apps in the other Memory Sticks and just run them when you swap them, or is there another reason for it?
Also, can you swap memory cards after having run Fast Recovery and have CFW on? That's what I'm assuming from this, or the dude is just dumb and I'm getting a free 1GB memory stick.

Here is the pic that's on the site:
psp-3001-desbloqueado-usado-8gb-4gb-829405-MLB25019740240_082016-F.webp

The PSP itself looks like it's perfect, same for the pictures of the back, that's why I got it, but those multiple sticks sure are odd.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah sounds like the seller didn't set everything up correctly. I think the 1GB has the fast recovery like you said and the others are used for games and what not.

Pacheko17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah sounds like the seller didn't set everything up correctly. I think the 1GB has the fast recovery like you said and the others are used for games and what not.

I'll just trying moving the contents of the 1gb card over to the others and hope it works.
But it's still a week away from getting to me, so more replies are more than welcome.

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Sure, you can hotswap after you've run Flash Recovery. I do it all the time. Just run it again from either memory stick if the psp crashes, which rarely happens...

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can definitely hot-swap when in the XMB, so yes you can for sure run Fast Recovery and swap in the card with your games, but my advice would be to buy 1 or 2 larger cards (or one ProDuo and one microSD adapter) otherwise you are going to get confused with game saves, plugins etc.

I have a microSD adapter with 48gb which I use for non-MagicGate sensitive stuff like emulators and PSX games, and then a 16GB Pro Duo which I use just for PSP games.

If you read my answer in the other thread you started, and give us details of the model and firmware of your PSP, we can suggest a Permanevt CFW solution for you, so you don't ever have to worry about Fast Recovery again. There are only 2 PSP versions that won't take a permanent CFW at this time, and they are not common, though as Brazil is a PAL region I guess you might have ended up with an E1000.

Pacheko17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can definitely hot-swap when in the XMB, so yes you can for sure run Fast Recovery and swap in the card with your games, but my advice would be to buy 1 or 2 larger cards (or one ProDuo and one microSD adapter) otherwise you are going to get confused with game saves, plugins etc.

I have a microSD adapter with 48gb which I use for non-MagicGate sensitive stuff like emulators and PSX games, and then a 16GB Pro Duo which I use just for PSP games.

If you read my answer in the other thread you started, and give us details of the model and firmware of your PSP, we can suggest a Permanevt CFW solution for you, so you don't ever have to worry about Fast Recovery again. There are only 2 PSP versions that won't take a permanent CFW at this time, and they are not common, though as Brazil is a PAL region I guess you might have ended up with an E1000.

I got a 3000, Brazil is NTSC-U, we are literally no different from the USA ( That's why 3DS has portuguese as an option ).
It came with chickHEN and it's working fine and I can run any game I throw it, more recent games I just gotta Prometheus patch.

I'll stay with chickHEN for a while because it's working fine, but if it starts to get annoying I'll just update to 6.60 and use ProCFW.

Thx for the help anyways

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a 3000, Brazil is NTSC-U, we are literally no different from the USA ( That's why 3DS has portuguese as an option ).

That's weird, Wikipedia has Brazil as a PAL region (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region) and I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Super NES sold in Brazil was PAL?

Of course this wouldn't affect a PSP (except when playing homemade PSX eboots anyway). Glad you figured it out.

Pacheko17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's weird, Wikipedia has Brazil as a PAL region (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region) and I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Super NES sold in Brazil was PAL?

Of course this wouldn't affect a PSP (except when playing homemade PSX eboots anyway). Glad you figured it out.

That is indeed odd. I've literally never seen anything that uses PAL here, except our CRTs which can use both PAL and NTSC ( But use NTSC as default ), DVD players are also mostly region-free. And I have 2 Brazil-made Super Nintendo's, both say NTSC on them. My other consoles are also all NTSC :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning