Hacking 'Quasi-Brick'?? THIS is bullshit.... Glitchy !@#$%

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've posted here a few times (often regarding the same kinds of shit), I'll skip describing everything I've done as it's safe to say I've run all the updates right and kept it all Japanesezy (after the strikers scare, which gave me the famed double channels that the smg update didn't get rid of). All was going well when I decided that a wiikey 2 update wouldn't come out soon and I really wanted a lil smg action.
I'd been running all games I wanted to with the 1.9g update, as I said in a different thread: every game but SMG. I read somewhere that it -might- work if I set the read speed to 3x. So, in the past when I'd tried it there was really no change; but NOW after setting it to 3x and region over ride off (to play ntsc-J smg)(wanted to try something I hadn't before) NONE of my non-ntsc-j games work. my officially purchased JP games work, and my backups (all except umbrella) all work. However, EVERY OTHER GAME, PAL or U get DREs. Please don't send me messages on how to burn roms, I've been doing it since the wiikey came out; but do tell me if this has happened to anyone else?
wacko.gif

Here's kicker... THE 1.3 SETUP DISCS won't load... I can't DL the 1.1 & .2 discs 'kuz Wiikey's down (again), so I cannot try that root
wtf.gif
and while I can run the 1.9b/g updates over and over (y'never know at this point), NOTHING'S WORKING.....

I went from having a 2.2 semi (like all the rest) to THIS.....
I was well into the last stages of BWii2 and S.Calibur when this bullshit went down....

Again, I have reason to believe I have a clone chip as 1.9g made a bunch of other games that didn't work before playable; however SMG is still no go. Also, DREs are random, that is to say I can play a disc for days (say, mp3c/bba/tonyhawk pg/others) and then not use it, and then use it again. At least this little WTF episode has allowed me to beat 0079.

So, any ideas? How do I fix this if you've been there?
How do I detect if I have a clone w/out opening the box?
How the fuck do I rectify the situation kuz I'm sick of this glitchy BS....
thx,
hate2.gif

A

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
were you perhaps running a non-ntscJ setup disc that you now cannot run anymore?
wink.gif
What error dyou get with mario? DRE? or the unauthorized blah?
note, the wii doesn't have "roms". Roms are for snes, nes, etc. We use Isos
wink.gif

There're quite a few other people with this DRE business since 1.9G so perhaps on some wiikey(clone)s it screws with media compatibility which was boosted at 1.9B I believe?

Getting DRE's with games not yer region with region override OFF is normal. So my advice would be to get the japanese 1.3 setup disc and run that to turn it back on again. (google should be able to provide a mirror I believe or even this forum)
If you are already using a japanese setup disc, reburn it at 2-4x on quality dvd-r media like verbatim.

And if that works, never turn region override off again!

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yo thanks guys, it's still quite a pickle I'm in; almost all my J-Isos run (yes I am aware of the rom/iso name thinggy... it's just habbit I guess, lol)~ however none of my ntsc-U & setup discs work. I never booted with a non ntsc-j setup disc; hence my perplexion in this whole mess up...

All the ntsc-U & J-setup discs get the basic black DRE, so it's not even the said iso's dre (IE in the font/style of the game, rather the system's black screen of death, hehe).... so it's something with the reader/wiikey, I'm not sure.

I did speak to a few other people with official wiikey's who had this issue; so I'm further confused as to the legitimacy of my wiikey since legit ppl run into this issue as well..... FFFFFFUCK, I'm almost tempted to pawn off mine and get a new one; hahaha.
but I can't... it's the first one out of Shinjuku, Tokyo.... what do I do ><

ALSO, please explain the GCOS Multibooted Wiikey config 1.3 (Jap) ; I've never heard of that; I have the NTSC-J 1.3 setup discs, but what's that and where do I get it?

I just cannot believe no1 on amongst us has gone through the same load of bollocks as I have ><

peace,
A

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmmm....there should be pre-made gcos set up discs out there for d/l. you didn't have any luck finding them? try googling like "gcos wiikeysetup disc torrent"

i think you're problem is the ntsc-j wii. not the wiikey. because like you said the ntsc-j games are playing fine. just not ntsc-u. wii doesn't have complete region compatibility. and it sounds like thats what you want. also you should always keep your drive speed at 6x. nothing will ever read better at a slower speed.

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea- I'm aware of the slower speed thing; just wanted to try it out and now look what's happened ><
I'll google that up, thanks~
However, I do think the problem is the wiikey because up until a few days ago I played everything.
I considered buying a new Wii, but I sorta wanna keep it in JPNZ, and ordering's such a pain and I won't be in JP again for a few months.
*cries
I'll google that gcos up and hopefully have success
Thx~

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
good point
hmmmm
this is so fucking annoying; anyhow - I have GCOS now and after I do a bit more work I'll give it a shot

HUZZAH THE GCOS disk worked!
well; galaxy still does gives me the smg dre screen (please insert disc)
and the disc is burnt like all my discs; tdk or some jp brand of high quality @ 4x
and smg still not working ><
blarghhhh

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and the disc is burnt like all my discs; tdk or some jp brand of high quality @ 4x
blarghhhh

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
good point
hmmmm
this is so fucking annoying; anyhow - I have GCOS now and after I do a bit more work I'll give it a shot

blarghhhh
So you have now gone back to being region-free, and mario galaxy doesn't work, but you are at 1.9G?

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yup....
1.9g and the smg update, and not only do I still have double channels/no access to my wii settings, but I get DREs everytime (the game default where it says in smg font in Japanese "please insert smg disc")

I have about 6 different discs burnt - different brands, +r & -r at 4x, 1x, 2x, and 2.4x
none work ><

Mario & Sonic works; but that games hurts - as do a plethora of other new games; but smg being rough >

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yup....
1.9g and the smg update, and not only do I still have double channels/no access to my wii settings, but I get DREs everytime (the game default where it says in smg font in Japanese "please insert smg disc")

I have about 6 different discs burnt - different brands, +r & -r at 4x, 1x, 2x, and 2.4x
none work ><

Mario & Sonic works; but that games hurts - as do a plethora of other new games; but smg being rough ><
the double channels will never again disappear. You never mentioned your settings problem before, but if you got that from a game recently released mario won't fix that. Especially not if you updated using a non-japanese >

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got it back in the (ntsc-u)Strikers mayhem (why couldn't they have released the JP version first....)(wasn't ever worth the semibrick).

so no smg (either I get dres or black screens; all speeds all media), and no settings change IE no OLplay...
someone fixxxx thisssssssss

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got it back in the (ntsc-u)Strikers mayhem (why couldn't they have released the JP version first....)(wasn't ever worth the semibrick).

so no smg (either I get dres or black screens; all speeds all media), and no settings change IE no OLplay...
someone fixxxx thisssssssss
u got it thru mario strikers and now you still didnt fix it with another japanese game? did you run the japanese mario update? or did you just brickblock it

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
either your burner is making dodgy burns, or perhaps you burn to fast ? try x4 with ImgBurn it's free... although it could be you are using crap discs as well

if all the above is ruled out, buy a new laser assembly or try to tweak the one you have with a very slight pot adjustment and a buff of the lens with a micro cloth

fixmyjapwii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like that's my only solution, to open er up and buff the lens (as I'm not making crap burns since 95% of them work).... but again, it's a matter of time; dunno when I'll have time to do that. I did run the Jap Mario update, and it did... nothing. so since buying a new laser assembly is short of buying a new wii; and I cannot lose my Shinjuku#1, I'll just try to open'er up in the next few months (still wonder if I don't have a clone chip...)
thx all
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.