Quantic Dream reveals Star Wars Eclipse

After being heavily rumored, it has been confirmed that the Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain developers are working on a Star Wars games. It's called Star Wars: Eclipse, and takes place 200 years before the prequel movie era. While Quantic Dream is known for making story-heavy games, this is going to be a little different, and will incorporate more action elements than their past titles.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a massive fan of QD's games (by far my favourite to this point has, controversially, been Beyond Two Souls), but as a big SW fan I'm interested - particularly by the choice to set it in the High Republic era.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am actually almost more curious to see devs talking about making this game in a few years. No mention of publishers or anything like that so not like it is going to be EA breathing down their neck as per various Star Wars efforts in more modern times (I still maintain Star Wars has not been relevant in games for a great many years despite once being massive), though whether Disney are the ones is a different matter and how much they care about games when everything else is on fire I also don't know.

As far as QD then if they can reign in their downsides from the more recent efforts and instead tell a tight story... however I am presuming this is that Star Wars money and oversight from if not literal film directors then ones that want to be but wound up in games.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the most interesting part of this is Lucas Film Games is back, although it's not clear if they are publishing this game or just licensing it out. Either way, it's nice to see that EA has nothing to do with it!

Reactions: felix.200

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the most interesting part of this is Lucas Film Games is back, although it's not clear if they are publishing this game or just licensing it out. Either way, it's nice to see that EA has nothing to do with it!
Is it actually Lucasfilm games division or Disney puppeteering a corpse/wearing a mask?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it actually Lucasfilm games division or Disney puppeteering a corpse/wearing a mask?
What do you mean ? Everything Star Wars belong to Disney, so of course everything SW is related to them.

The label is here to put every SW games under that now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What do you mean ? Everything Star Wars belong to Disney, so of course everything SW is related to them.

The label is here to put every SW games under that now.
If it is just a name with none of the same people (or their successors), none of the same development styles/mindsets and instead Disney just slapped a name on in house coding group 43 then it becomes harder to claim it as a return to what made things great. See also what happened to Atari and THQ, or in games then all those times the original devs leave but can't take the name with them.

If Disney took the credits lists for various classic things Lucasarts made, maybe a few outside efforts (some of the later Dark Forces/Jedi Knight people maybe, possibly poached some of the Respawn people that did Fallen Order, maybe figured out who in Bioware did good stuff on KOTORs and offered a lifeline), found the general design philosophies from back then (clearly worked rather than most of what Disney does today), maybe gave them access to shinier tech that current space, busted out the dumper truck full of money and had a "we're getting the band back together" sequence then that would be a different matter entirely.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it is just a name with none of the same people (or their successors), none of the same development styles/mindsets and instead Disney just slapped a name on in house coding group 43 then it becomes harder to claim it as a return to what made things great. See also what happened to Atari and THQ, or in games then all those times the original devs leave but can't take the name with them.

If Disney took the credits lists for various classic things Lucasarts made, maybe a few outside efforts (some of the later Dark Forces/Jedi Knight people maybe, possibly poached some of the Respawn people that did Fallen Order, maybe figured out who in Bioware did good stuff on KOTORs and offered a lifeline), found the general design philosophies from back then (clearly worked rather than most of what Disney does today), maybe gave them access to shinier tech that current space, busted out the dumper truck full of money and had a "we're getting the band back together" sequence then that would be a different matter entirely.
I don't know who is working there but I know LucasFilm games are reportedly working in collaboration with Ubisoft for a SW game and with MachinesGames (Wolfensteins games) for a Indiana Jones game, so it's just "just" a label, but I have no clue who they have right now.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After looking at designs I am going to say that ship landing is the Ebon Hawk!
Could be, but I doubt it. This is apparently High Republic era, not Old Republic, so the Ebon Hawk would be pretty ancient at this point... that said, it wouldn't be the first time they've appropriated Legends material into canon, but the design isn't all that similar... the Ebon Hawk looks like this...
edward-barons-ebon-hawk-smaller-final.jpg

Last edited by duwen,

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Star Wars: Eclipse, and takes place 200 years before the prequel movie era.

So it's High Republic Era. Avoid it like the plague folks, this is the one where a Rock-Alien named Geode, pilots a Ship known as the Vessel.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's High Republic Era. Avoid it like the plague folks, this is the one where a Rock-Alien named Geode, pilots a Ship known as the Vessel.
You shouldn't write off an entire sub-series of Canon just based on what a handful of "influencers" have deemed to be bad. If Geode was a major character it might be more egregious, but what you're saying is akin to saying "So it's Empire era. That's the one where a squid commands a Fleet..."

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't write off an entire sub-series of Canon just based on what a handful of "influencers" have deemed to be bad. If Geode was a major character it might be more egregious, but what you're saying is akin to saying "So it's Empire era. That's the one where a squid commands a Fleet..."
Disingenuous argument to say the least. The Mon Calamari looked and seemed to be actual aliens. Geode's a rock. A force wielding. Sentient. Rock. Not a golem. Not an Earth Spirit. A Rock. A rock, named Geode (a Rock term). Pilotting a Ship, named the vessel.

This would be like naming your picture "Laminate" and it drives your boat called the "Steamship".

Last edited by VartioArtel,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Disingenuous argument to say the least. The Mon Calamari looked and seemed to be actual aliens. Geode's a rock. A force wielding. Sentient. Rock. Not a golem. Not an Earth Spirit. A Rock. A rock, named Geode (a Rock term). Pilotting a Ship, named the vessel.

This would be like naming your picture "Laminate" and it drives your boat called the "Steamship".
How much of the High Republic stuff have you read? Admittedly I've only read the first couple of books (so I haven't even experienced Geode yet), but what I have read is full of great characters in a unique (to the IP) environment, with storylines that feel fresh and exciting. Definitely a much more rewarding Star Wars experience than anything in Disneys prequel Trilogy.
All I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to write off an entire era of the franchise because one relatively minor character doesn't jive with you. The prequel era is filled with far more problematic characters, some of whom are very major players, yet most fans have come to terms with the missteps. And let's be honest, ALL of the sequel characters are seriously problematic.
I'm prepared to judge this game on it's own merits. It could still be great even if a sentient rock is a major character in it.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much of the High Republic stuff have you read?
A few comic issues. And no amount of reading it matters when the content's flaccid. Maybe it did get better, but it was the sort of jank that fits with the Sequel Trilogy in terms of writing - and that's not a good thing.

And by jank, I emphasize the fact somehow Lightsabers sabers have/had mass now, allowing someone to stab a cliff while falling, and hang from the lightsaber hilt a good foot away from the cliff (no footing).

The fact is, they are trying so desperately for anything to draw attention, they abandoned all semblance of consistency with the world already established even within canon.

Let me emphasize this for you: if you don't take Star Wars seriously, maybe you could enjoy the High Republic nonsense. But with any decent scrutiny it fell apart within minutes.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let me emphasize this for you: if you don't take Star Wars seriously, maybe you could enjoy the High Republic nonsense. But with any decent scrutiny it fell apart within minutes.
Sorry to break it to you, but that applies to all of Star Wars! I can point to dozens of plot points, tech utility, character arcs, across the entire franchise (including the most beloved entries in the saga) that fall apart upon any scrutiny - and if you "take Star Wars seriously" you'll know it's true.
...and I'm a lifelong fan, having seen the original movie on it's original theatrical release in '77 when I was 6 years old - long before it was 'Episode IV - A New Hope'.
I fear that's the issue with many 'modern' fans - they take it all too seriously and like to pick apart the elements they don't like but forgive equally bad (if not worse) elements from the 'classic' era just because it came from George Lucas and not some Disney lackey.
It's just a case of appreciating it for what it is. At least, to my knowledge, there's nothing franchise breaking in High Republic, unlike Rise of Skywalker... and as much as I detest how RoS all but killed the franchise, it still has enough moments I enjoyed that will allow me to return to it.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an old fan too. Not as 'old' as you, but I am someone who watched the original tapes - including with Jabba. So if you're going to pull that age card on me (and don't say you aren't, you're laying very clear implications to what you're saying with how you claim that 'modern' fans 'pick apart the elements they don't like'), realize you are barking up the wrong tree. I have seen through Lucas having to adjust and improve the story, and retcon bits as he developed the story.

I know that as a whole there's holes in Star Wars - but most were due to revisions to the plot. None of them were 'fuck physics' levels like the Lightsaber Wall/Cliff Climb technique. When you begin to throw the physics of the world out the window you realize that the story isn't written as an expansion, but an attention grab that will throw any and all rules out the window without hesitation in order to just make an eyecandy/mindcandy story without sticking to the essence and soul.

It would be the same as someone writing a Sherlock Holmes novel, without knowing the specific traits to the writing that made Sherlock Holmes novels such good reads. Modern Star Wars lacks that 'soul', that 'essence', that fits what Star Wars was. While earlier entries were easily more inconsistent because of the early days of the lore (with the old Thrawn entries for example hard contradicting the prequal Trilogy that came after it), they kept more to the soul and essence of Star Wars. This is often the cause of many stories endings falling flat - in an attempt to jolt up the stakes, they lose sight of what made the story great. They forget the story's roots, regardless how flimsy. And that's exactly what the High Republic does.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that as a whole there's holes in Star Wars - but most were due to revisions to the plot. None of them were 'fuck physics' levels like the Lightsaber Wall/Cliff Climb technique. When you begin to throw the physics of the world out the window you realize that the story isn't written as an expansion, but an attention grab that will throw any and all rules out the window without hesitation in order to just make an eyecandy/mindcandy story without sticking to the essence and soul.
Please... read what you just wrote. ALL of Star Wars is "fuck physics" levels of dumb, but as fans we over look it. The very concept of a lightsaber is the epitomy of "fuck physics" - light that behaves as a solid and has a defined end point? I'm no physics professor, but I know that light doesn't behave like that (and lightsabers have always been shown with that property, where the light has mass, so the technique that has you so riled up is totally in keeping with cannon... remember Yoda throwing his lightsaber at a battle droid and it sticking in there? That's the same concept). It's also a universe where magic exists, so anything is possible. It's fantasy story telling in a sci-fi environment, not speculative fiction... anyone trying to make an argument out of one particular story element they don't like because it's not scientifically accurate/plausible either hasn't actually been paying attention or they're taking the stuff way too seriously.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please... read what you just wrote. ALL of Star Wars is "fuck physics" levels of dumb, but as fans we over look it. The very concept of a lightsaber is the epitomy of "fuck physics" - light that behaves as a solid and has a defined end point? I'm no physics professor, but I know that light doesn't behave like that (and lightsabers have always been shown with that property, where the light has mass, so the technique that has you so riled up is totally in keeping with cannon... remember Yoda throwing his lightsaber at a battle droid and it sticking in there? That's the same concept).
Until the High Republic, the light sabers lacked density (I won't even specifically say mass) is my entire point! They had to be moved slowly through thick metal to heat it up to cut through (Episode 1), used small magnetic fields to contain the length of the blade (all entries - and how the saber 'stuck' in a droid. MAGNETIC. FIELD. IN A DROID. Who would have thought!?) which would repel each other (Episode 5), etc.

All of this is still consistent within the logic defined by how the series worked. Wonky, maybe. But none of it describes HANGING FROM A ROCK CLIFF, SLIDING DOWN IT BECAUSE OF GRAVITY, AND THEN STICKING TO IT.

You're trying to twist the physics of events occurring to fit your argument, rather than acknowledge the actual physics going on in the world (even if they're slightly different from ours mostly in terms of the spacetech to my memory). Because the lightsabers using magnetic fields (hence establishing an endpoint and the 'stick inside a droid') would destroy your whole argument for you. You're banking on my ignorance (and/or lack of research) to make your argument for you. And before you try: magnets and droids have a rather humorous history as I remember in the clone wars.

Also, you call them 'blades of light' when they're BLADES OF PLASMA. Even ignoring that this proves you don't even understand the subject matter, plasma is even less dense than air - the only way that lightsaber could realistically stick in a rock bed, even in Star Wars own comprehension of physics, is if those pillars were made of magnetic material for the magnetic fields of the blade to attract- something never addressed or confirmed.

I don't know whether you're being disingenuous, or if you're flat out refusing to study the subject matter before entering a debate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet