Quality School for Languages

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by babyruthcoming, Apr 14, 2007.

Apr 14, 2007
  1. babyruthcoming
    OP

Newcomer babyruthcoming Newbie

United States
    It was really incredible with Jim my older brother. He was able to learn to speak other languages such as Italian, English, French and many more in just a short length of time, he able to acquire this by enrolling to quality language schools. We just chatted last two month or so, updates of his career after school of course we exchange ideas of what would be the best career after schooling. He told me that if I really want a good future, I should have at least a knowledge in speaking other languages in able for me to communicate in a wide scale of opportunities, he introduce me these English language courses and voyages linguistiques angleterre , it a great reference in learning other languages, it will really shape up your skills and knowledge in communication. So far, I begun to learn in a little way by just starting to familiarize terms, I plan to enroll sometime soon as I have a chance, also cursos ingles estados unidos is a big help in practicing other language skills. I miss Jim a lot his my big brother, we have a good time when we’re together, but I know not a time long we will be together again. My parents plan is to enroll me where Jim is currently at. I am so excited to see my big brother again, after summer I guess. I begun searching now for a language consolidator in search engine in preparation for my lesson and guess what I found a good one sprachen studieren Excellent!

2. archagon

Member archagon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    INTRIGUING!!!!11

3. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    [​IMG]
    I´ll beat you!

4. beautifulbeast

Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    IMHO, the best school of languages you can use is life itself. You know, maybe there are parts of the language you can "learn" in a school like grammar and such, but after that, what's really important is having a good vocabulary and knowing how people of that country use the language. So, whatever language you choose to learn and regardless of the school you go to, remember that no lesson can beat the ones you learn in the Internet, watching movies, reading books, MMORPS, traveling, having a bf/gf who speaks that language... as I said before, life itself.

5. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    YESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!
    Couldn't agree more!!! [​IMG]
    Look, I'm 17, knew pretty good English at the age of 13, just because I read, spoke to brits at my father's chiringuito (some sort of spanish beach restaurant often visited by foreigners), and also because of Zelda Link's Awakening DX. School? Learn no shit there, man. Even not at the "Official Languages School", I just go to tests, succeed, get my diploma [​IMG].
    Also, I have a Swedish gf... I have known her for 5 years and we always spoke English, that was possibly the best support I ever had for learning the language. After we began as a couple (~1 year and nine months ago), I decided going for Swedish.
    Then, thanks to my knowledge in English Swedish came in super easy... it's a really easy language, verb conjugations don't mind genre or number, and there are only a few tenses... I'm currently studying ancient greek and latin, they're some pain in the ass sometimes since what we "learn" is memorizing stuff, instead of using the languages... quite normal if you study a dead language, ok, but... it could be some more practical.
    Anyway, I recommend you learning English tighly related languages (Swedish, German...) and then when you've done that and you have the ability to compare languages, roots... which will allow you to use terms you don't even know by just making them up logically, get into other kind of languages (romanic; italian, french, SPANISH, pretty useful the last one... believe it or not).

Of course, I know also some french, portuguese and a little german. Even a very little finnish... Sometimes I just feel down when I see a 5 years old knowing some English and Chinese and Spanish, but then I think: WTH, I learnt all by myself, I'm still only 17 and I live in this Spain country, homeland for dumbness and inculture [​IMG] , I ARE FUCKEN' DAH BEZT!!!! [​IMG]

Just follow beautifulbeast's advice and try to find a REASON to learn each and one language, and you'll do pretty soon.

6. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    4 o'clock in the morning ... park up outside your friend's block ... beep horn.. beep horn .. Amigo!! Amigo!! ... beep horn ... beep horn ... Crank up the Latino beats ... screech off. The fecking quillo's need to buy mobile phones is all I can say.

7. Maktub

Spain
    moshii, you may mind a shit about this, but... living in a country and not knowing its language, is getting a step closer to that 4 AM "quillo's" description you just wrote. No interest on learning the third most spoken language in the world? I can and actually I do respect that decision. No interest on learning the language on the place you live in? That's utterly stupid, since it implies a lack of capabilities to communicate with your surroundings, promotes "ghetto" appearance and shows no respect or caring for the people around you.
    About the "ghetto" thing, it's common here where I live the existence of WHOLE cities inhabited nearly only by foreigners (such as Nerja) who won't get their poops out of their chairs under the sun, mind not a crap about working, because they're reitred and will benefit from our very generous and cheap health system. And that's actually one of the reasons why you have dumbasses down the alley shouting out at 4 AM "Illo!!! Baja pabao!!!!" (dudeee, come down here down!!). Well, it's hard making our government minding education when they can acquire money from foreigners paying I.V.A (indirect taxes) from people we consider rich, and hence we high prices for.
    This, supossing you're really not living in Spain but in Gibraltar (which is NOT Spain) or some other tricky thing like that. Anyway, rejecting such an opportunity to learn a language is stupid who/what/where/when/how-ever you are.

EDIT: Ok, just read you're from La Línea de La Concepción.
    For people not familiar with this Gibraltar thing;
    Gibraltar's a brittish piece of rock on the South of Spain, an old charming remaining of the impearialist days of Great Britain's colonial policy that, with time still belongs to Great Britain and costs lots of money to this country to supply with British stuff. Actually if someone needs to be operated they carry them by plane to the UK...

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that La Línea (the line) is inside Spain, but right beside the colony, making it easy to get "licorice" (how'd they call it in Gibraltar? they got even an own dialect! [​IMG] ) by just letting one of the guards on the office in the entrance take a glance of your passport.

Anyway, moshii, if you'd ever happen to criticize anything about any country, you better do it on their language [​IMG]

8. beautifulbeast

Spain
    Off topic: not to pick on moshii, but the funny thing about Gibraltar is that it's like an Offshore Financial Centre and there's like 20 companies per inhabitant (somehting smells fishy... ohhh! [​IMG]).
    Back on topic: Anyway, let's all learn as many languages as we can 'cause it's useful, lots of fun and it makes you feel smart compared to others.

9. beautifulbeast

Spain
    So it was spam all this time? Good for me 'cause I didn't click on the links.

10. Maktub

Spain
    Woops, didn't even realize... good anyways! [​IMG]

11. moshii

Japan
    Chances are you wouldn't understand the Spanish dialect from around here anyway.

Oh and edit... You criticised your *own* country then turned it around and blamed the foreigners!! And there you are rattling off that you're cultured and all geese. Head in arse syndrome.

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Russian? [​IMG]

13. Maktub

Spain
    moshii, no offence meant but please stop speaking bullshit, ok?
    First, cocking around about how cool you are compared to Spanish people because they can't understand you... well, can you understand them? It's you who lives in Spain, the problem is yours, not theirs.
    Second, it's obvious you don't understand what I wrote when you don't even bother involving yourself with your enviroment. Won't bother myself talking to a mind-brick.
    Third, what I said and what you said are completely compatible, and believe me, I won't begin to discuss about why or how you got Gibraltar. I actually like there's a piece of britain 2 hours from home.
    Fourth, tell me which pot you smoke cause I want some of those.
    Fifth, If you read what I said on my first post and knew Málaga is right beside Cádiz, you'd know I actually speak my Spanish pretty alike those in Cádiz. Anyway, any Spaniard can understand any other Spaniard wherever he/she is from. Even South Americans can understand us and viceversa.

14. Maktub

Spain
    Actually that depends on the resource you get the information from.
    http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html
    Check websites, you'll find lots of different answers. Ask experts and you will as well get different answers.
    Truth is, lots of people in the world speak Spanish. Don't see the need to post stuff like what you've just posted.
    EDIT: And yes, I know that website shows Hindi as the third, but that's just for showing that what I said is actually true.

Edit (after reading moshii's): Well, I criticize my country's own failures because I can see them. I'm not a patriotic-blind dumbass. Brain in the head syndrome, that is.

15. moshii

Japan
    Actually, I know that isn't true at all. Some Spaniards speak a totally different dialect that is essentially a different language.

16. moshii

Japan
    I'm a communist and have been for many years... I thus have no interest in patriotic matters.

17. Maktub

Spain
    I'll skip the "you're too young" part because it's worth no answer.
    I realised where I live and the importance of this a lot of time ago. I don't actually feel any pride about my country or any others, but I know communication is very importand and anyone may contain precious knowledge you may miss if you don't speak their languages. That is, anyone.
    As for the last point; sorry, you're probably too unfamiliarized to Spanish to know what the f*ck you're talking about. See? That's what knowing a language is for; being able to take part on a discussion. Even if you meant "gallego" or "catalán", anyone can understand those. Even Portuguese, I'll give you a point with Vasque, but too few people speak that one, those who consider themselves Spaniards will speak Spanish with you, and those who don't, well, I prefer to spend my time learning other languages the time being.

Thanks for telling me about the brick wall expression, I'll remember that one. Only reason I won't tell you it's stupid you correct me when speaking your own language on such non-important things, when you don't even know or bother knowing mine, is that English is GBATemp's official language.

18. Maktub

Spain
    I didn't say you have them, I said I don't.

19. hobotent

Member hobotent GBAtemp Regular

United States

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
    Ronald Reagan

Communism is a worse evil than Nazism if you look at how many people they each killed...by FAR too... [​IMG]

20. Maktub

Spain
    hobotent, I think that's also focusing on details far relative to the main topic. I think we all know what "communist" governments once did, and also what democracy has done. I don't see the point on criticizing moshii's ideology by blaming him for what other people has done claiming they were communist.