Gaming Quality of replacement touch screens.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone speak on the quality of replacement touch screens that are floating around?
Such as the ones which come from dealExtreme? I'm specifically looking to maybe replace a DSi XL touch screen which is scratched.

Is there an advantage to buying from DealExtreme versus say an Ebay seller?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You talking about the digitizer or the LCD?

I've yet to need a new bottom LCD in a system (though I may be, at some point, building a DS Lite from just a motherboard that Devin has, so at that point I will). The digitizers, though, for the DS Lite, are phenomenal. Only difference is they have a matte finish to them, not a gloss one. This doesn't affect the application of a screen protector, and the screen protector completely negates that matte finish into a gloss one.

At least mine did. Maybe different batches are different.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. I was just talking about the digitizer. Well that's comforting to know. I assume this is in reference to the DealExtreme ones. Thank you

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They should be of a fine quality. About a year ago I replaced my touch screen (digitizer) and it works perfectly fine since then. It wasn't from DX but since it didn't have any brand packaging or label and it was cheap I assume the quality shouldn't be too high. Oh, mine was gloss.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what about dsi touchscreens?? do the digitalizer be replaced without replacing the whole screen???
my dsi have a very ugly scratch, even when is only cosmetical, because the touch works perfectly.

They're all two part assemblies, and you just peel them apart to replace one or the other. Not sure exactly how the DSi one goes in, but you can buy the replacement touch screens for them.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
oohh thanks for the video, i'll be buying a touchscreen to have my dsi like new, i'll need a new case too but i don't care much about that.
the installation seems easy enough and i have experience disassembling shit, i had disassembled my dsi before to clean the L button from inside.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
good lord! i cant believe theres so many people with no screen protector applied.

a DS without a screen protector just feels....naked

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
good lord! i cant believe theres so many people with no screen protector applied.

a DS without a screen protector just feels....naked
resistive touchscreens lose precision with a screen protector applied, also the screens looks worse for the extra layer, not mentioning that the protector tend to catch scratches by itself, after a time you end up not seeing anything.
if you are cautious when using you ds scratches arent a problem, thing is my dsi is second hand and buy it with the scratch anyway and that is the only noticiable scratch is has, dsi touchscreens appear to be more durable that ds lite ones.

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree.

If you are respectful and take care of your DS, you won't really need screen protectors.
Those i feel are little kids, who don't really know any better.

I also like the DSi much more than the DS Lite.
It has a better, more solid build.
It's sleeker, sexier, has SD card music support, crapload more apps, is easier to repair, basically better put together and less problematic.

With the DS Lite, the GBA carts stick out annoyingly, the hinges are too fragile and the buttons are more prone to wear, as they use the older style, thicker rubber pad interface (ala PSP), vice the DSi's thin rubber pad and bubble clicker style interface.
I suppose it comes down to preference.
Sure it doesn't have the GBA slot 2 but most handheld fans have a GBA-SP anyway.

The DSi is to the DS family what the GB-Micro was to the Game Boy family.
No backwards compatibility, but everything else is streamlined.

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Streamlined.

The DS Lite is extra bulky (being the older model) but also feels cheaper in comparison.
The DSi is slimmer, easier to turn on/off, turn up/down the volume.
The DSi is the peak evolution of the standard DS family.
Only exceeded by the DSi XL, which is great for football players, people with horrible vision and giants. :)

I'm not trying to put shame to the DS Lite, it's nice.
I own every member of the DS family, as well as all of the Game Boys.
I am merely stating the obvious.
I also repair/customize and modify DS's for kicks, so I know them inside and out.

I was referring to the DS Lite's slot 2/GBA game carts sticking out.

As a side note, I love how Nintendo addresses most major problems with their older models.
It shows that they are paying attention to what we, the fan base/consumers have to say and put pride in their work.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
resistive touchscreens lose precision with a screen protector applied, also the screens looks worse for the extra layer, not mentioning that the protector tend to catch scratches by itself, after a time you end up not seeing anything.
if you are cautious when using you ds scratches arent a problem, thing is my dsi is second hand and buy it with the scratch anyway and that is the only noticiable scratch is has, dsi touchscreens appear to be more durable that ds lite ones.

Using a touchscreen without a screen protector is irresponsible, especially on the DS. There are certain games which literally require you to swipe the hell out of it, and at the end of the day, the stylus is somewhat sharp.

If a screen protector is applied evenly and is of good quality, loss of accuracy is minimal if at all noticable. Besides, you re-calibrate your touchscreen once the protector is applied anyways, so the touch detection will adjust.

A good screen should also be transparent enough so the "looks" of the screen remain pretty much the same - here I recommend "Hori" screen protectors - they're regarded the best.

No protective screen scratches "by itself" - it scratches because something else rubs againts it.

Some devices with resistive touchscreens actually used to come with screen protectors in the box, for example my old smartphone did (Mio A701) - in fact, the box contained two. Using them is very much advisable.

The DS Lite is extra bulky, feels cheaper.
Depends on many factors. My DS Lite felt a bit cheapo from the start, however my girlfriend's was perfectly fine - even the plastic felt different and the assembly was much better, which leads me to believe that my DS Lite, like many other late ones was in fact a "factory refurbed" system, and those were sold as new.

The DSi is slimmer, easier to turn on/off, turn up/down the volume.
Digital volume switches instead of an analog slider, yay! Because less choice is always better! I have to agree as far as the power button is concerned though.

The DSi is the peak evolution of the standard DS family.
The DSi is not a part of the DS standard family - it's merely backwards-compatible. There are numerous differences OS (Division into DS-Mode and DSi-Mode, completely different firmware with added functionality) and hardware-wise (Different CPU clocks, different amount of RAM memory, different WiFi chip, no SLOT-2, SD Slot, Cameras etc.) between a DS and a DSi, too many to consider it a part of the same family of hardware.

Only exceeded by the DSi XL, which is great for football players, people with horrible vision and giants. :)
If only it didn't look hideous. :D

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen protector, no screen protector...

It looks like azz.
Especially if you get bubbles, debris or lint in there.
It's an eye sore.

Stylus's can wear down.
If it's too sharp, it's probably time for a new one.

I am literally here right now, scratching the shit out of both a DS Lite and DSi screens, pressing harder than i usually do, with a new stylus, and nothing.
Still looks pristine.

Just take it easy on the pressure applied/get a new stylus.
They're nice, video game handhelds, not work boots. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Screen protector, no screen protector...

It looks like azz.
Especially if you get bubbles, debris or lint in there.
It's an eye sore.
Which is why you clean the screen before applying one? I did say applied correctly which are keywords here.

Stylus's can wear down.
If it's too sharp, it's probably time for a new one.
It's a gradual process - it doesn't magically become "too sharp", it wears off againts the screen which causes the scratching.

I am literally here right now, scratching the shit out of both a DS Lite and DSi screens, pressing harder than i usually do, with a new stylus, and nothing.
Still looks pristine.
Good luck doing that for an extended period of time.

Just take it easy on the pressure applied/get a new stylus.
They're nice, video game handhelds, not work boots. ;)
Which is why you protect them with screen protectors rather than not protecting them at all because who cares. All electronics deserve the least bit of care, and that includes screen protectors.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can anyone speak on the quality of replacement touch screens that are floating around?
Such as the ones which come from dealExtreme? I'm specifically looking to maybe replace a DSi XL touch screen which is scratched.

Is there an advantage to buying from DealExtreme versus say an Ebay seller?
I've heard the quality is fine but they break easily in postage so you may want to order something else in the same package, something flat that will help protect the screen a bit.

Trevor Belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The DSi is not a part of the DS standard family..."

By your reasoning then, the DS family only consists of the original DS and the DS Lite., since after that there was "major" change in OS(Division into DS-Mode and DSi-Mode, completely different firmware with added functionality) and hardware-wise (Different CPU clocks, different amount of RAM memory, different WiFi chip, no SLOT-2, SD Slot, Cameras etc.)...

If applied to the Game Boy family, there IS no Game Boy Family.
Since they are all so different technically, which most users would never, ever really know those differences without going to ITT Technical institute for a few years...

"Good luck doing that for an extended period of time."

Why would I want to do that?
That's baby stuff.
I use mine mainly for retro gaming and bigger kid stuff.
You know, the games with actual, quality game play vice little kid, cheap thrills.

"Which is why you protect them with screen protectors rather than not protecting them at all because who cares. All electronics deserve the least bit of care, and that includes screen protectors."

It's all about preference, but personally, I would rather have crystal clear clarity on the visuals then some cheap sheet of plastic between me and the gaming interface.
It's kind of like eating a steak and shrimp dinner with your tongue wrapped up in latex.
Takes away from the enjoyment intended...(not to mention the analogy between this and sex, which i won't be going into, too many young eyes...ha)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"The DSi is not a part of the DS standard family..."

By your reasoning then, the DS family only consists of the original DS and the DS Lite., since after that there was "major" change in OS.
Correct, which is why the DSi has exclusive software in the form of DSiWare as well as DSi Exclusive retail games. Not too many retail ones because companies didn't manage to capitalize on them, but they exist. Instead of carrying on with those, developers switched to the DSiEnhanced model.

If applied to the Game Boy family, there IS no Game Boy Family.
Since they are all so different technically, which most users would never, ever really know those differences without going to ITT Technical institute for a few years...
Not true - the original Game Boy, the Game Boy Pocket and the Game Boy Light all have the same core hardware in different form-factors. The Game Boy Colour sort-of stands out as it has additional memory for the palettes and a slightly overclocked CPU to my knowledge, so it's a bit of an in-betweener, a lot like the DSi. Then finally we have the Advance line, that being the Game Boy Advance, the Game Boy Advance SP and the Game Boy Micro, all sharing the same core hardware.

Why would I want to do that?
That's baby stuff.
I use mine mainly for retro gaming and bigger kid stuff.
You know, the games with actual, quality game play vice little kid, cheap thrills.
Oh, I see. So, your personal tastes dictate what is common sense and what is not. Pretty subjective if you ask me.

It's all about preference, but personally, I would rather have crystal clear clarity on the visuals then some cheap sheet of plastic between me and the gaming interface.
It's kind of like eating a steak and shrimp dinner with your tongue wrapped up in latex.
Takes away from the enjoyment intended...(not to mention the analogy of this and sex, which i won't be going into, too many young eyes...ha)
No, why? Let's go to the analogy of sex. Let's say you're on a party and there's this fine gal that wants to take you upstairs, and you really fancy that broad. You can dive right into that gal unprotected, right? I mean, what are the odds of you catching HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Hepes or getting her pregnant... Do I really need to go on to prove my point?

Screen protectors are what they are - they protect your screen. You have a choice between spending $1-$2 every now and then for a screen protector and replacing it when it begins to impede your vision or not doing so dishing out for a replacement screen and having to dismantle your console if you damage your screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient