WIP QuakespasmNX - a better Quake port

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by fgsfds, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Despite being open-sourced and very popular on the QuakeWorld community, the original Quake: Team Fortress was released for netQuake engines. So unless he's using the QW version of it, it should work.

By the way, huge congrats for the release !!

Also @cucholix I'm trying to work on this. It requires some changes that might take some time (and I'm quite... Busy doing something with idTech3 at the very moment)

cucholix likes this.
  2. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    That's interesting. I was sure it was made after QuakeWorld came out and specifically for QW.
    Though there's no real reason it shouldn't work in NetQuake either, I guess. Just beware of the netcode.

3. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Well, if you're not using the QuakeWorld's progs.dat file, you're fine. Otherwise, you're going to immediately crash because some interpreter code won't be found (and other things related to the netcode and other stuff)

EDIT: I'm quite surprised you didn't simplify the multiplayer menu's navigation (you know, choosing between the dead IPX and the more standard TCP/IP protocol)...

Last edited by Ch0wW, May 14, 2019
  4. xitpu

xitpu Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2008
    United States
    Oh my God...
    How hell it can run so well!!
    I hope in a 'better Doom port' too and in all quake engine based games!
    Thanks for your work

5. Elalexyzoner

Elalexyzoner Alex95

Jun 5, 2016
    Mexico
    Near Texas
    Gotta try this out asap.

6. Dutt

Dutt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Australia
  7. xitpu

xitpu Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2008
    United States
    Lol I didn't see It was ported by fgsfds
    Unfortunately gzdoom on my switch Is slower than quake and crash every time after few minutes

8. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Phenomenal work as usual. loading usermaps from the console with software keyboard! :)
    And the gyro! Omg the gyro works so wonderfully. Im gonna play through the entire game again now with the gyro for a new experience!

One thing i noticed is that when the gyro is enabled the control to center the camera doesnt work anymore. Intentional or bug? Being able to center the camera is important to quickly reset your hand position with the camera back to neutral.

cucholix and Dutt like this.
  9. falquinho

falquinho Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    Brazil
    Yeah I could not make that work. IIRC it actually works, but requires no motion being made. It's kinda weird. I've tried to implement a "deadzone", but it does not feel right.
    I'll try to find time and take a look in to it again, but i can't make any promises(too busy playing with reicast).

10. Dutt

Dutt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Australia
    Try my config file i posted in the gzdoom post.
    In normal doom/doom2 i get up to 120fps..

xitpu likes this.
  11. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    Eh, it's just one button press. I forgot about it. Maybe in the next version.

I never even tried the centering control. Wonder if lookspring works.

12. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    I've built an small updated build with some of the previous fixes and stuff that weren't put into nxQuakeSpasm0.2.0.

• Resetting your configuration works perfectly (binds, crosshair on, scaling).
    • The multiplayer menu doesn't prompt for the IPX/TCPIP connection setup, and directly goes to Create/join.
    • Fixed the console accepting buttons while it shouldn't happen.
    • [because of nxQuake2] X button is for the inputs, not Y.
    • You can now toggle on/off the crosshair in the options (it replaces "invert mouse")
    When I'll have a few moments free tomorrow, I'll add the "Quick sensitivity" function (similar to the build of nxQuake2 I made)

OH ALSO, I've spotted a bug.
    +BUG : Going into 720p in handheld mode cut the screen vertically in half.

And... IS it normal that the gyro doesn't work on handheld ? (probably too on docked but unsure)

Attached Files:

13. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    Gyro doesn't work when the right joycon is attached. Probably have to also add an additional handle (or two) here for TYPE_HANDHELD. You can detach the joycons in handheld mode and it'll work.
    Can't confirm your screen offset issue. Willing to bet that you haven't updated your switch-sdl2 package, as the fix for that was added around the same date I published 0.2.0.

>Fixed the console accepting buttons while it shouldn't happen.
    I don't really understand how what you did is any different from what I had before. There's also a chance that #if __SWITCH__ won't work because it's generally not defined to anything. Use #ifdef for that.

Last edited by fgsfds, May 16, 2019
  14. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Oh, so it's Pro-controller or detached only ? That's weird...

Indeed, mine wasn't. That's weird, I've made a clean install very recently on my fresh mac... Well, that's one problem fixed.

Nah, this is a mistake but it didn't do what I thought I really accomplished.
    That's again a minor issue, but pressing A on the console with no text says "ABUTTON (or LTHUMB) is unbound"...

Anyway, I repost a quick-fixed build, fixing that 720p error and also fixing a quick string error when resetting the config.

Attached Files:

15. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    That's the default message for when you press a bindable button that is unbound while in game. Thought it redirects console buttons completely when the console is open, but apparently not.

16. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    I'm aware of that ; I had to fix a similar issue in nxQuake2. BUT a console-enabled key shouldn't act like if you're pressing a bind in the console. And that's what's happening there. Unbind A (or press L-Stick), go to the console, and the warning appears.

Similarly, the aiming joystick can be moved in the menu, even if it shouldn't be possible (but I'll make a fix for the original Quakespasm aswell, since it's related)

17. falquinho

falquinho Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    Brazil
    Gyro does not work on portable because I dislike it. Sorry, I was coding this to myself, and since I only cared with docked ... But should be easy to add.
    Originally I intended to create a menu option to set gyro aiming "Docked only" | "Handheld Only" | "Both". I'll see if I can do that. Sorry bout this again.

nabelo likes this.
  18. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Could you add it to NXQuake2? lol :bow:

19. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    I would like that last option, as 85% of the time i play handledh mode,thank you falquinho
    And quake 2 with gyro would be just.... Crazy :D

20. Vadographer

Vadographer Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2018
    United States
    I actually did try both versions, the netQuake version worked perfectly. The QW version worked, but it had some weird things going on with it

nabelo likes this.