Quake, Doom and Wolfenstein DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by hollabackitsobi, Sep 8, 2007.

Sep 8, 2007
  1. hollabackitsobi
    OP

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm really big into FPS as most are, and really big into the DS so when looking through directories of homebrew games and ports, I always run into these games but never try them since it's so complicated to get them to work. If anyone can provide a small step by step for each of these games and maybe provide links to the shareware map files (like the pak0.pak and .wad files for Quake and Doom respectively), I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and out of the other shooter ports out there, which ones are free? I know there's Hexen, Heretic and RoTT, but I don't know which ones are shareware/can be played for free. Thanks again.

2. hollabackitsobi
    OP

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Stay away from HeXen .26, it corrupted my Kingston 2GB SD card, that was DLDI patched.

But anyways, almost all these ports don't include a needed (.pak, .wad, etc) file for legal reason.

I'll give ya a quick run down on quakeDS prerelease 2, just go here and use How to Play.

http://www.quake.drunkencoders.com/ LOL

Most others seem to use similar methods to get the game running.

4. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Quake's port is very good, check it out, sometimes it lags, but i like it.
    Wolf3D's port is VERY good indeed too.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    They were all available as shareware games but just the 1st episode is free. Some of the ports I've played have also allowed me to play homemade levels and episodes.

6. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    any1 have any updates on this? after playing dementium i feel like some good ol' doom and quake.

any speed issues, crashes, or anything of that matter?

7. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
  8. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Yea, Doom works very well on the Nintendo DS

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I've had some minor problems with certain enemies appearing nearly invisible for some reason (but only some of the time), but otherwise Doom is perfectly playable.

10. dawn.wan

Canada
    Yes, Doom is good.. only beef is that there is no touch screen support... then again it's doom, i played this with the Arrow keys and the CTRL button way before i discovered WASD and the mouse on Duke Nuke'm 3d... I wonder if i can run doom 2 off this, maybe i'll try this later... i might do some testing with expansion wads (like the barney or simpsons WADs). Otherwise if you just want your good old Doom, pick this up.

Quake is good, there are some laggy moments w/o ram expansion. but with features like touch screen support, on screen keyboard or on screen short-cuts with customizable controls... and you can even use the console.. This is a must.. in total it only takes up like 50mb so y not?

i cant believe ppl made a RoTT port... i didnt think that game was that popular... wonder if a duke nukem 3d port will hit the scene...

[edit] or even shadow warrior... mite take a look into this if the source has been released.

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
  12. dawn.wan

Canada
    thanks for the tip... it is very laggy and major adjustments had to be done to the controls just to move around... if want Duke 3D give it a try, although you may find it unplayable it still has that cool factor that you got it on your DS... otherwise pass..

13. SchuchWun

Member SchuchWun GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    wolf3d, RoTT and Doom rock. I am totally gonna check out quake!!!!

14. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the wolf port right now only has a few levels up and running. i found the gba version the exact same game including all the evil images and blood. if you own a slot2 it is the better solution right now. the nice thing about the doom port is that it supports 99.5% of prboom compatable wad files. i personally converted over 100 i dled off various doom wad sites and play through them on my ds all the time. also the wifi with the prboom server is less buggy than the build (and adhoc) found in the quake ports. the quake II port is already very playable, and quake I supports some custom wads as well.

they are all worth checking out.

-another world