Quake 1 gets a silent release on the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One and Series plus PC.

Out of the blue, one of the games from the id's Holy Trinity of Classics, Quake, hits the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One/Series and PC on a rather quiet release, with the price of $9.99.

The original Quake released back in 1996 saw the main protagonist go against an ancient evil and its hordes of Lovecraftian creatures. This port is an enhanced version of the original, featuring widescreen and 1080p support, enhanced models, revamped lighting, and much more, including the original 2 Expansion packs and 2 new ones added in this exclusive release.

You can check out the full list of features that this port includes in the official Nintendo eShop page.

eShop Page said:
Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. Now, experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original.

Experience the Original Game, Enhanced
Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 1080p* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and colored lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

Get the Original & New Expansion Packs
Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”

Discover the All-New “Dimension of the Machine” Expansion
In the deepest depths of the labyrinth lies the core of lava and steel known only as The Machine. Crusade across time and space against the forces of evil to bring together the lost runes, power the dormant machine, and open the portal hiding the greatest threat to all known worlds—destroy it...before it destroys us all.

Enjoy Online & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP
Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.

Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Play Together with Crossplay
Play the campaign and all expansion packs cooperatively or go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Crossplay is supported among PC (controller-enabled), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.

Motion Aiming Ready
Improve your gunplay with an option that allows you to aim using gyro controls. The option can be used in conjunction with the control stick for the perfect blend of immersion and accuracy.

*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.

:arrow: Source

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Aww man, I hoped for a reboot or remaster. Like Doom 2016 got. A lot of this they show already is modded way beyond what they have here.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Aww man, I hoped for a reboot or remaster. Like Doom 2016 got. A lot of this they show already is modded way beyond what they have here.
A Quake reboot is still feasible, they could very well still get a reboot out while still having the original available, like they did for Doom 2016 and Doom 1/2/3.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think I still got the demo of the original in a CD somewhere...

This is a game I basically ignored because I already had Doom 2 and the review if it that I read in a magazine didn't sold the game to me.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Out of the blue, one of the games from the id's Holy Trinity of Classics, Quake, hits the Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One/Series and PC on a rather quiet release, with the price of $9.99.

The original Quake released back in 1996 saw the main protagonist go against an ancient evil and its hordes of Lovecraftian creatures. This port is an enhanced version of the original, featuring widescreen and 1080p support, enhanced models, revamped lighting, and much more, including the original 2 Expansion packs and 2 new ones added in this exclusive release.

You can check out the full list of features that this port includes in the official Nintendo eShop page.

:arrow: Source

Pretty cool. Playing it on Switch now.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
When I heard the rumors I was hoping for a proper reboot this time but I guess this works.

Here's the question though: Quake 1 is overrated as hell, when are we getting a re-release of Quake 2 and 3? Please?

I understand the console audience probably won't like Arena FPS combat much, because they're almost always on controllers and Quake III plays best with a kb&m, but I still think more people need to be exposed to these games of old and realize what they've been missing!

That isn't to say this isn't at least a step in the right direction. This is, to my knowledge, the first official port this game has gotten to modern consoles. But it really disappoints me that only the first game, which already gets way too much special treatment, is getting a re-release.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,
Reactions: Kazmar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2