Tutorial  Updated

QuadForce - A guide to playing Triforce Arcade games on a Wii.

Important!
The latest builds of Nintendont support Triforce games now, so it is no longer necessary to use QuadForce, making this guide outdated.

In addition, this guide is also deprecated and contains outdated information about the various ISOs that exist.
The rest of this guide will remain here as a resource, in the spoiler below, however I will no longer be supporting it.

I will, in the future, make a new thread about triforce games, probably, but today is not that day.

You may (and should) use a Nintendont setup to run your games the very same way you play GameCube games with Nintendont, and it should just work.

Obtaining the ISOs is on you, it's not too difficult, but I can't tell you where or how, due to GBATemp's rules.

What is QuadForce?
QuadForce is an awesome cMIOS (Custom MIOS) made by Crediar for the Nintendo Wii that allows you to play the 4 most well known Triforce Arcade games from your SD card or USB device. Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, F-Zero AX, and Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006. This thread aims to help anyone with a Wii, The Homebrew Channel, and a working method for installing WADs get QuadForce running.

You will need:
-A Wii
-The Homebrew Channel
-A Method for Installing WADs (Trucha Bug, AHBPROT based WAD Manager, whatever works)
-An SD card (2gb or larger if used for game storage)
-*A USB Device with storage greater than 2gb if you plan on using USB for storage.
-Any kind of decent formatter software, such as EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition
-A gamecube controller

I will not be providing you with these, and all of the software modifications required are obtainable easily through the popular PC tool by XFlak: "ModMii for Windows"

Tutorial/Setup
You have 2 options for storage, SD or USB. SD is best, but USB is convenient if you already have Dios Mios running properly or you don't have space on your SD card. USB tends to have more frame drops than an optimized SD card, but this isn't a big deal.

USB Devices
You will first need to format your USB device to FAT32 with 32K Clusters. This is the ONLY setup that will work for USB. Must be full format and the partition you use must be the first on the device. For this I highly recommend an advanced formatting software, such as EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. USB devices are trickier to work with because there are a lot more inconsistencies among USB devices then there are among SD cards. QuadForce reserves the right to be picky, so keep that in mind. One more bit-- If you already use DIOS MIOS, then your device is set up just fine and should work with Quadforce.

SD Cards
You will first need to format your SD card to FAT with 64K Clusters for best speed. There are reports of FAT32 working, as well as reports of 32K Cluster Size working, however this usually results in slower SD read speed, that potentially can create frame drops in-game. You'll need to do a full format too, however I don't recommend the Windows Formatter, but you can give it a try if you feel like it. If you're using SDHC, higher classes are recommended. If your SD is formatted to work with DIOS MIOS LITE, then it should work with QuadForce.

Next, you'll need to get the most recent QuadForce wad. (Download 4.0 for SD Cards, Download 4.1 for USB devices) *Since this is a cMIOS, it overwrites your GCN support with QuadForce. Because of this, I also recommend keeping a copy of the RVL-MIOS-v4.wad so that you can reinstall regular GCN support any time you want, ever.*

Next, You'll need to get Dios-Mios Booter homebrew app to load the games. (here)
If you have a USB loader Set up, you can probably use it too if it is updated enough to be compatible with Dios Mios related functions.

Put Dios Mios Booter on the SD card like any other Homebrew channel app and Put the .wads from the .rar you downloaded in whatever folder you put wads in on your wads folder. (Maybe SD :/wad or SD :/wads?)

Now you'll need the Triforce Arcade games. As for getting them, you'll need to figure out on your own. Do not post asking for links. It is against the rules on this forum. Total they eat up about 1.7gb of space, which is actually pretty small considering, this also means they should be able to fit on 90% of all SD cards and USB devices today. Which is good. Something else I should mention; you can't use MAME CHDs at all for this, you need the ISOs. They aren't very hard to find, just use Google.

Optional Step for Virtua Striker 4. Ver.2006
Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 has 2 versions; Export (English Version) and Japan (Japanese Version) which both with the same Game ID. Even worse is the Game ID is actually is shared with the japanese Virtua Striker 3 GCN game. Due to this there is an optional step you can follow to avoid this gameID trouble. It is recommended you use this tool by nubecoder to change the game ID of your Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 ISO(s) to the Unofficial IDs that match up with GameTDB. The IDs you change them to are GVS46E for the Export ISO, and GVS46J for the Japan ISO. Additionally If you are loading the games with a USB Loader in place of Dios Mios Booter (such as USB loader GX or WiiFlow) this minor change will also make the games sync up to GameTDB's Accurate information about the game found on these pages, and also allow you to download any covers for the games from within your loader.
Japan GameTDB Page
Export GameTDB Page

Next we'll put the games on your storage device.
Now this is how the games are structured on the SD card or USB device (See Image below)
MKAGP1: ??:/games/GGPE01/
MKAGP2: ??;/games/GGPE02/
F-ZEROAX: ??:/games/GFZJ8P/
VS4 v.2006: ??:/games/GVSJ8P/
If you followed the optional step for Virtua Striker 4. Ver. 2006
EXPORT VS4 v.2006 ??:/games/GVS46E/
JAPAN VS4 v.2006 ??:/games/GVS46J
In each of these directories, there should be a "game.iso" file, and there may or may not be a "sys" folder. The "sys" folder isn't important, so if it's missing, don't worry about it. As long as your ISO's MD5 matches the dumps below, they should work fine.

So your SD card should look something like this (Unless you put the games on your USB device, where the "games" folder would be on the USB device instead) (Image only shows the files you should have You should also have your regular HBC apps and your app for managing wads)
This image is outdated, so it is missing Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006, but the paths listed above are where they go.
Quad_Force_SD_structure.png

Now all that you need to do is use a WAD manager to install your Quadforce wad, launch Dios Mios Booter, choose a game, and you should be playing it. If not, check your SD/USB formatting, and if all else fails, try another SD/USB, and write a post about it here.

Note: Depending on your source for the F-Zero AX iso, DM-Booter might display the title 'virtuastriker2002' in place of the games actual title. This is normal. Some ISOs of Mario Kart Arcade GP and Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 also have MKAGP1 and MKAGP2 as their Game IDs. See "ISO Header Changing" below if you want to edit the headers of the ISO's to change this. The Virtua Striker 4 Ver. 2006 is also a special case and was covered in an optional step above.

Something else I should mention is that sometimes 3rd party memory cards are recognized as USB geckos and can cause games to crash. If you experience this, remove the memory card from Slot B.

About Controls:
You need to have your GameCube Controller plugged in before booting the game. If you are having trouble getting your wavebird/wireless GCN controller to work, make sure it is switched on before booting any games with QuadForce, and if that alone doesn't do it, you should hold down a button or two on the controller to make sure QuadForce picks it up.

With Quadforce 3.0 and beyond, you can use the Pad Hook Options by enabling them in Dios Mios Booter's options menu for each game. Should you enable them, you can press R+Z+Start to reboot your Wii or press R+Z+B+Down to power off the Wii.

F-Zero AX Controls:
Note: When starting F-Zero AX it says "Initializing Motor..." it will shortly after ask you to calibrate the controls, circle the analog stick around a few times and press A, then B, then press Start.

Analog-Stick: Steer
A: Acceleration
B: Brakes
Y: Boost
L: Drift left
R: Drift right
Digital-Pad: change views

Mario Kart Arcade GP 1&2 Controls:
Analog-Stick: Steer, navigate menus.
R: Acceleration, (Gas Pedal)
L: Brakes, Tapping L jumps and activates sliding, during which you get a shield. (Brake Pedal)
A: Use Items, Make Selections on the Menu.
B: VS Cancel button, can do certain things depending on situation (read on-screen instructions)

Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 Controls:
Note: When starting Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006, it will ask you to calibrate, rotate the analog sticks on the controllers you're using a few times, and then press start.

Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 supports local multiplayer. Controller 2 goes in GCN port 2, and must be plugged in before booting the game.

Analog-Stick: Move, navigate menus
Start: Start
A: Shoot
B: Sprint
Y: Short pass
X: Long pass
Up: Tactics 1
Left: Tactics 2
Right: Tactics 3

About Card Support:
Recently added to QuadForce 3.0 is the ability to use the license card functions of Mario Kart Arcade GP and Mario Kart Arcade GP 2. This allows you to save your game data! Isn't that neat? One little note: If you ever choose not to continue in either GP games, you will have to power off your Wii, as the game will ask you to remove your "License Card" which you obviously can't do, because it's just a file on the storage device.

Verify you have Working ISOs
Download A MD5 Checker to verify you have known working ISOs.
Note that the MD5 of any file will change if you modify it, so editing the header with nubecoder's tool will change it, I'll try my best to cover all possible variations of each ISO, but any small difference make the MD5 completely different.

VERIFIED WORKING ISOs
F-Zero AX TriForce Arcade ISO
-ISO with "virtuastriker2002" title in Header
ab1e442313cc0cc2dd1f52f0407aed1a
-ISO with "F-Zero AX" title in Header (Best ISO)
1632826dab98f02f87ca474345f59db1

Mario Kart Arcade GP TriForce Arcade ISO
-ISO with "MKAGP1" GameID in Header.
32fc2fc04980ad713360d5d5a834e6e9
-ISO with "GGPE01" GameID in Header.
59eccd51f04664c9667900c9ebdec4f7
-ISO with Infinite Credits Patch (Thanks Cyan)
8520010c65f06b4867a68a5f15ecb9ec
-Wierd ISO with GGPE01 GameID and "Mario Kart Arcade GP" title in Header (Thanks DJ_skual)
e9bd95bec1a69bedcae171b6629876b0

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 TriForce Arcade ISO
-ISO with "MKAGP2" GameID in Header
83922403a5f413552dcd1cb89a0a2a86
-ISO with "GGPE02" GameID in Header
70f261a2f10d00c7d77b4fd13307843a
-ISO with infinite Credits Patch (Thanks Cyan)
2b63cbe6bc1cc8b38c2c9ad783d66bb9
-Wierd ISO with GGPE02 GameID and "Mario Kart Arcade GP2" title in Header (Thanks DJ_skual)
6a07e7ab97112ae9b5d8277eb9628a02
-Compressed Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 ISO (503,316,480 bytes) - FROM SOURCE (Thanks JackNet!)
Sample "RELSAB" header and "Sample Game Name" title:
38e96d3f9080515520075cecd693824b
-Compressed Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 ISO (503,316,480 bytes) - CORRECTED (Thanks JackNet!)
Changed the header and title to "MKAGP2" and "Mario Kart Arcade GP2":
e591cc0ae0ee3078e36a9516d5b5ef22

Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 (Export) TriForce Arcade ISO
-ISO with "GVSJ8P" GameID in Header
53a0eb3d593b3280911269d2aee2f6b1
-Modified ISO with "GVS46E" GameID in Header
3a28d974b96546a89c279a20c3360b04
-Modified ISO with "GVS46J" GameID and "Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006" title in Header
74a63de8768f688a47dfe274ece5e74f

Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 (Japan) TriForce Arcade ISO
-ISO with "GVSJ8P" GameID in Header
236561a6fe8b6387a1f0558372d9c4ce
-Modified ISO with "GVS46J" GameID in Header
c22de9a93a99ddad44085052357f5f8c
-Modified ISO with "GVS46J" GameID and "Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006" title in Header
5c9928bdb4c9d3793a5db6b0cf3cc18f

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does this allow you to play GCN games?
A: No. It replaces gamecube support, and you can only re-enable it by reinstalling your regular MIOS, which will uninstal QuadForce. It's best to keep all your MIOS wads handy so you can swap between them easily. It's worth mentioning that If you have your SD/USB all set up for QuadForce, it should also work with Dios Mios Lite/Dios Mios, which runs GCN games.

Q: Does this work on Wii U in vWii?
A: No. Not at all, and it is dangerous to attempt installing it, as it can brick your vWii easily. Do not attempt this under any circumstance.

Q: Can I use this with my USB Loader?
A: Yes, as long as it is updated enough to pick up that quadforce is installed. This is especially important for version 4.1.

Q: Can I burn the ISO's to discs and run them that way?
A: No, QuadForce is only for USB and SD devices.

Q: Can I run this from EmuNAND?
A:Yes, but it's generally more buggy, and there are many reports of audio issues.

Cool Extras
Adding Ocarina/GeckoCode Support
All you need to do to add Ocarina/GeckoCode support to QuadForce is make a folder on your game storage device called "sneek" and put the "kenobigc.bin" in it. (kenobigc.bin is included with quadforce) If you're using a loader other than DMbooter, the GCT path must be set to the storage device you use for your games.

Ocarina/GeckoCodes
F-Zero AX Codes (Thanks CosmoCortney!)
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (Disable Menu Timers! Thanks conanac!)

ISO Header Changing:
If you have one of the ISOs with the Incorrect headers (MKAGP1 GameID, MKAGP2 GameID, or F-Zero AX's "virtuastriker2002" Title, you can use this little tool by nubecoder to edit it, and any other ISO header for Wii/GC ISOs. You may have used the tool to edit the Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006 ISO(s) if you followed the optional step above.

Forwarder Wads for your Wii Menu
Here, i've collected some forwarder wads for convenience, if you want to have your wad added, make a post in this topic or PM me. Include the IDs they install under, and screenshots. (Just the preview, icons optional unless there are variants) (bnr's coming soon!)

F-Zero AX
Versions 1-3 are no longer available because the author of them went on a rampage and cried, and then left GBAtemp for good. Then he set the wads downloads to private because he was butthurt.
(Not mentioning any names, but you know who you are) :creep:

Version 4: Download (ZFAX) [Thanks MasterShoes]
F-ZeroAXBanner_zpsa054a1fd.png
F-ZeroAX-ZFAX_zpsb0cdf608.png

Version 5: Download (UFAX) [Thanks AbdallahTerro!]
SDoKqXP.jpg

FZROAXICO.png
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Version 1: Download (UGP1) [Thanks AbdallahTerro!]
2a0c3mh.jpg

gp1.png

Version 2: Downloads [W/Icon1] [W/Icon2] [W/Icon3] [Thanks MasterShoes]
MarioKartArcadeGP1Banner_zpsba1612e0.png

V2 With Icon 1 (ZGP1)
MarioKartArcadeGP1Racers-ZGP1_zpseb01d971.png

V2 With Icon 2 (ZGP5)
MarioKartArcadeGP1LogoWhite-ZGP5_zpsc3b448e7.png

V2 With Icon 3 (ZGP3)
MarioKartArcadeGP1LogoBlack-ZGP3_zpsda96045a.png
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2
Version 1: Download (UGP2) [Thanks AbdallahTerro!]
w2dpcj.jpg

gp2.png

Version 2 Downloads [W/Icon1] [W/Icon2] [W/Icon3] [Thanks MasterShoes]
MarioKartArcadeGP2Banner_zpsff37c92e.png

V2 With Icon 1 (ZGP2)
MarioKartArcadeGP2Racers-ZGP2_zps3aee15e8.png

V2 With Icon 2 (ZGP6)
MarioKartArcadeGP2LogoWhite-ZGP4_zps13eb8080.png

V2 With Icon 3 (ZGP4)
MarioKartArcadeGP2LogoBlack-ZGP6_zpsa939c06c.png
Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006
Version 1 Download (USV4) [Thanks AbdallahTerro!]
mEVC9Cy.jpg

VSTRIKICO.png

Version 2 Downloads [Thanks MasterShoes!]
[Icon1/GVS46E] [Icon1/GVS46J] [Icon1/GVSJ8P]
[Icon2/GVS46E] [Icon2/GVS46J] [Icon2/GVSJ8P]
VirtuaStrikerBanner_zps8447a9cb.png

Icon 1 (ZVS2 for GVS46E, ZVS4 for GVS46J, and ZVS6 for GVSJ8P)
VirtuaStriker4White_zpsa56736ec.png

Icon 2 (ZVS1 for GVS46E, ZVS3 for GVS46J, and ZVS5 for GVSJ8P)
VirtuaStriker4Black_zpsdf7a5dbb.png

Additional Links and Other Stuff Worth Including.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice guide, nice layout.

I hope you keep it updated if any changes need to be made.

* I will delete below here if you add this info to the first post *
Wavebirds need to be switched on before loading. (The receiver blinks)
Some 3rd party GameCube mem cards cause problems

Reactions: CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice guide, nice layout.

I hope you keep it updated if any changes need to be made.

* I will delete below here if you add this info to the first post *
Wavebirds need to be switched on before loading.
Some 3rd party GameCube mem cards cause problems
Ok, will add teh first one in the controls section. Memcards though, this is QuadForce not DM. lol.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it is not allowed to post links to the isos maybe it would be good to post
the CRC or MD5 for the correct dumps.
I heard there different dumps... would be good to know which are the good ones.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they differ in size?
These Triforce Games how where they stored on the original system?
Disc, HDD? I ask because they have a very strange size for a disc iso.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SD Card formated in 32k cluster are also working.
I couldn't format mine to 64k, so if users can't either they might think it won't work at all in 32k while it does. 32KiB only has slower SD read access.

You mispelled "trucha" to "turcha".
A vulnerable cIOS is not required to install/play with QuadForce. (you can use Wad Managers using AHBPROT)

the use of "cMIOS" abbreviation is usually not well accepted. users could think it's the "cMIOS" from wiigator, while it has nothing to do with him. (that's what I've been told, I don't see the word "custom" as being something copyrighted to someone in particular, it just means that it was custom-made and not official but it's better to use something else for QuadForce/DM/DML).
Just use MIOS or something else to tell that it was created and not modified/patched.

The /sys/ folder are not really required. It's used by sneek only I think.
If you use DML Booter, users don't need it as it's loading the ISO, not the extracted files.

About the controller "needing to be ON" it's also the case for wired controllers.
They need to be connected before launching QuadForce or else they won't be detected by the Arcade game.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD Card formated in 32k cluster are also working.
I couldn't format mine to 64k, so if users can't either they might think it won't work at all in 32k while it does. 32KiB only has slower SD read access.

You mispelled "trucha" to "turcha".
A vulnerable cIOS is not required to install/play with QuadForce. (you can use Wad Managers using AHBPROT)

Updated, for whatever reason, I never seem to remember AHBPROT wad managers exist. Every time I tried 32kb I kept getting lags and freezes, I'll add it in anyway though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SD Card formated in FAT32 works too, I'm using it.
and 32K cluster is not "might work", as I"m using it too.

SD Card can be :
FAT or FAT32, formated with 32KiB cluster size or, if supported by your SDcard or your SD formater, to 64Kib cluster size for faster read access.

in fact, it can be any size from 64 or less. the bigger the better for reading speed, but you loose more space if you write multiple small files to the card.

Edit:
I'm using a Sandisk MicroSDHC 32GB, Class 4, made in China.
FAT32, 32 768 Bytes per allocation units
Kingston MicroSD adapter, made in China.

In F-Zero AX:
I have 3 second lag when previewing the selected track then it's not laggy anymore.
I have a 12 second freeze when loading the track before playing.
Playing is very smooth and fast.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Another MD5:
GGPE01 : 8520010c65f06b4867a68a5f15ecb9ec (has "always 9 credits" patched)
GGPE02 : 2b63cbe6bc1cc8b38c2c9ad783d66bb9 (I guess it has a credit patch too)

The credit patch is only useful if using QuadForce 0.1, as QuadForce 2.0 always re-apply the Credit patch to force "always 1 credit".

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another MD5:
GGPE01 : 8520010c65f06b4867a68a5f15ecb9ec (has "always 9 credits" patched)
GGPE02 : 2b63cbe6bc1cc8b38c2c9ad783d66bb9 (I guess it has a credit patch too)

The credit patch is only useful if using QuadForce 0.1, as QuadForce 2.0 always re-apply the Credit patch to force "always 1 credit".
oop, ok, adding theses now.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to add something.
If you have an ISO with incorrect header info, you can (and should) patch it using available tools, so it will show up correctly in your USB Loader. I think the one I used was wit (http://wit.wiimm.de/features.html) but I'm not sure.
OH, that reminds me. I'll add a link to NubeCoders tiny GC/Wii/Triforce ISO header editor. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...