Hacking QA Flagging use

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the significance of enabling the QA flag? I understand it's useful for debug tools but is there much use for a typical end user? Does it make switching firmwares easier?

D

Deleted User

It allows downgrading/going between FW versions should you decide to it. Basically dehash. Prevents the system from hard-bricking due to mismatch in ROS/SYSCON versions.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It allows downgrading/going between FW versions should you decide to it. Basically dehash. Prevents the system from hard-bricking due to mismatch in ROS/SYSCON versions.

Alright, now I get why. So it's as easy as toggling the setting in Rebug toolbox?
I'm using 4.76.1 Rebug right now, so if I wanted could I install 4.76 (or anything else) OFW with system update on XMB?
Then if I wanted to go back to CFW, I could install 3.55 OFW then 4.76.1 Rebug in XMB system update?

D

Deleted User

Yes and no.

Yes you can install OFW over CFW (4.76-O4.76, 4.76->O3.55) but once you upgrade to any OFW > 3.55 you'd need a flasher to downgrade.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and no.

Yes you can install OFW over CFW (4.76-O4.76, 4.76->O3.55) but once you upgrade to any OFW > 3.55 you'd need a flasher to downgrade.

So OFW won't let you downgrade ever, and CFW will let you downgrade but only with QA flag. I get it now.

I have a handful more questions though.
1. Aside from something stupid like installing 3.56+ OFW, what should I avoid to make sure I don't brick or become unable to install CFW on my PS3?
2. Is there any way to get my PS3 to output a 480p signal in gameplay? It's a PAL unit and the settings will allow 576p but not 480p. If it's related to the region setting of the console, would a REX release of Rebug 4.76 be able to enable this output? If so, how long would I expect to wait for a REX release?
3. Is OtherOS++ good for anything? Seems like a cool curiosity worth tinkering with.

D

Deleted User

1. Disconnect internet and remove any discs from the drive when updating.
2. 480P I don't believe so, 480i is possible over a component cable.
3. Not really, unless you want to tinker around with Linux, but there's better systems for it.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
2. 480P I don't believe so, 480i is possible over a component cable.

A composite cable, you mean? They only support standard definition signals.

480i and 480p are SDTV and EDTV for NTSC regions. 576i and 576p are SDTV and EDTV for PAL regions. My console will let me output 576i and 576p, but not the 480p that I want.

Here's what the NTSC selection looks like.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/tr/ps3/1_51/imgs/videooutput004.jpg
Here's the PAL selection.
http://in.playstation.com/media/WQbAR0ZQ/Video-output_9.jpg

D

Deleted User

Both. Composite/Component can do 480I or 480P.

Just noticed it was a PAL console.

In any case, there isn't a way to force 480 on a PAL console without running it through a 2nd device (daisychain) as I don't believe there's any way software/firmware-wise to change that. REX releases come about maybe twice a year or so recently, but seeing as there probably won't be many more PS3 FW releases, I wouldn't count on it.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Both. Composite/Component can do 480I or 480P.

Just noticed it was a PAL console.

In any case, there isn't a way to force 480 on a PAL console without running it through a 2nd device (daisychain) as I don't believe there's any way software/firmware-wise to change that. REX releases come about maybe twice a year or so recently, but seeing as there probably won't be many more PS3 FW releases, I wouldn't count on it.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

Pretty sure composite doesn't do 480p, but I'll be using component anyway so it doesn't matter.

Would I be able to downgrade to Rebug 4.75.3 REX, use the debug settings menu to change my system region and hope that gives me access to 480i/480p, and then update to Rebug 4.76.1 LITE?
Any chance of brick or damage through this kind of region change?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse