Q: WHLC and BlackCats

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by HybridEntity, May 24, 2008.

May 24, 2008

Q: WHLC and BlackCats by HybridEntity at 6:02 AM (2,010 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. HybridEntity
    OP

Newcomer HybridEntity Member

Australia
    Okay, 2 questions.

1. Has the fancy looking Wii Homebrew Launcher Channel, with the banner and sounds, been released yet? I appreciate Paradox's work but a genuine channel is for me.

2. With BlackCats, how often do they allow registration?

Thanks in advance.

2. GamerMichael

Newcomer GamerMichael Member

Canada
    Blackcats wont be allowing registration again for a while..prob this halloween like they did last year. BlackCats system is veyr strange though. There credit and seed back system is unlike one ive ever seen before. If you want the best of the best join a newsgroup

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    cost money, and the free ones usually are really bad and arnt any better then public torrent sites

/is a happy BC member [​IMG]

4. GamerMichael

Canada

newsgroups r cheap..i pay $30/month for everything...u get your my max download speed on any files, whether they're brand new or months old, and best of all there's no such things as a ratio and no seeding back [​IMG]

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Months old? Blackcats recently helped me get a 5 year old PS2 game.

6. GamerMichael

Canada
    it can be years to just everything is regularily reupload to the servers so technically many things are much more than years old. [​IMG]

7. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Obviously none of you have heard of ISOHunt.com

It aggregates trackers, so you end up with more seeds than you would normally.

Private trackers and newsgroups are a joke when you have people releasing data on public trackers as soon as they get it.

8. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    You're the joke here.

ps. BC registrations won't be opening any time soon afaik.

9. teq

United States
    Yeah, right... because I have free access to everything the rediculous private trackers and newsgroups have makes me the joke.

Anyone willing to pay money to steal is a hypocrite.

10. darkgoth

Newcomer darkgoth Member

United Kingdom

Funny that, I just got immediate membership to Blackcats ... [​IMG]

11. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Seconded, you know nothing of private trackers (which are also free)

12. HybridEntity
    OP

Australia
    Lol, good way to put it. I personally don't use Usenet.

I usually use Isohunt as my main torrent finder but I'm after a VC pack (number 2 to be specific) and the only seeders Isohunt could find were those on BlackCats. So I tried downloading it anyway and I got "Error: Register on BlackCats" hence the interest. Thanks to everyone who posted, looks like I won't be a member for a while...

Anything on the WHLC?

13. teq

United States
    Uh, most of them are free.

Even then, the concept of private trackers is idiotic. You're going to segment your traffic in order to curtail leeching? Oh, that's really great... considering 99% of the data on private trackers comes from sources that get leeched, namely Newsgroups and IRC. Pot, kettle, black much?

It used to be that the time between when a release hit Newsgroups and IRC was epic, but now you see more and more releases going straight to BitTorrent. In this day and age, the majority of Newsgroups users do so out of habit, as BitTorrent is the superior distribution method.

And private trackers? The time between data reaching a public tracker from a private tracker is mere seconds if the torrent doesn't have DHT disabled. Real smart.

14. whatsa

Newcomer whatsa Advanced Member

Antarctica
    BC is great if you want a specific console game from years ago, and speeds are good. The way they do things is a little weird though, their seed points system actively discourages seeding on less active torrents (reducing the availability of older games), and they didnt have invites last time I checked. Plus, they somehow think it's a good idea to censor thier forum for profanity.

++ on usenet though, if you have money to burn.

15. HybridEntity
    OP

Australia
    WTH?? Why was my topic moved?? It was in the "Wii - Hacking" section for a reason. This topic is based on the "Wii" and its "hack"ed channels. WHLC stands for Wii Homebrew Launcher Channel and is of course in relation to the Wii.

I ask that this gets moved back since the ideal responder is unlikely to appear in the "General" section of the forum.

16. whatsa

Newcomer whatsa Advanced Member

Antarctica
    Because most of the talk is about BT and usenet, which isn't wii hacking. And no, I don't believe marcan's channel has been released yet, if that's what you refer to in the first post.

17. HybridEntity
    OP

Australia
    So because my topic gets hijacked I should suffer? Logic at its finest.

As for your second sentence; Thanks, thats what I'm after. Although I'm not sure if its Marcan's channel or not. Anyone able to second this?