Homebrew Q: What version of Smash do I get if I buy it today on eshop? (USA)

pancakes077

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trying to get smashhax working.

I bought a cartridge of Smash which ended up being USA 1.1.0, which I can't find a pcap for (this is different from the USA 1.1.0 eshop update).

If I buy the game on eshop right now, what version will it be?

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it can't be reverted to a previous version by renaming the update folder on the SD card?
You could use HANS, which is incompatible with updates, and play on version 1.0 with custom things. However, you can't save. If you have CFW, you could install the updates as CIAs and be on whatever version you want.

pancakes077

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm referring to this:

This exploit was fixed with the v1.1.3 Smash Bros game update released on December 15, 2015. The previously vulnerable function is now identical to the one from the updated demo mentioned above. See below regarding running old game-versions.

EUR and JPN full-game .code binaries addresses-wise are basically the same, for v1.0.4 at least. Hence, the filenames for these two regions include "gameother".

This can't be completely blocked with the main app without a system-update: even if an app-update would fix it, one could just rename/whatever the update-title directory on SD card to force the system to not use the update-title(the directory name could be restored to the original later when not using this hax). One could also do this if the currently installed update-title version is not supported, or when the latest version of the update-title isn't supported(where the currently installed version isn't supported).
The above mentioned directory is at the following SD card location: "/Nintendo 3DS/{ID0}/{ID1}/title/0004000e/{TIDHigh}". Where TIDHigh for the update-title is one of the following:

• USA: 000edf00
  • EUR: 000ee000
  • JPN: 000b8b00

pancakes077

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright thanks, that's pretty much what I was wondering. So I have to track down a 1.0.0 copy of the game, is that my only option?

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks, that's pretty much what I was wondering. So I have to track down a 1.0.0 copy of the game, is that my only option?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get any cart version of the game and delete the update.

EDIT: Double Ninja'd!

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
I don't think official retail to cia conversions are ever updated in-place, but I wouldn't be sure about this...
now nintendo does that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get any cart version of the game and delete the update.
no, it's hardcoded into the romfs if it is more than 1.0 version (the cart)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
that is when you download the update via eshop, not if you download the entire game, the update becomes merged with the app.
Uh, what? The game and the update package are separate, unless this just recently started happening. The eShop should just prompt for an update, not automatically download it.

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
Uh, what? The game and the update package are separate, unless this just recently started happening. The eShop should just prompt for an update, not automatically download it.
it doesn't automatically download it. is the update that is IN the game and can not be deleted. though most of the games doesn't do this.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But digital-only games are updated by reuploading a newer version, unlike the regular base+update setup... that's what I was thinking of, it's possible that the base was updated (just jike they do on physical versions)

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If SmashHax doesn't work out, you could always pick up the Nintendo Selects version of Ocarina of Time and use OoTHax on it. You'll just need a save adapter or an already hacked 3ds.

Reactions: astronautlevel

pancakes077

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just spent the weekend setuping my laptop to be able to inject packets properly, so I'm rather motivated to get SmashHax to work, if only for stubbornness sake. In the end getting an old cartridge shouldn't prove to be too hard, I suppose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night