[Q] What does Gateway offer to N3DS users that CN does not?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Simplicity, May 24, 2015.

1. Simplicity
    OP

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    I own Cubic Ninja, I've been using it on my N3DS for a little bit now, and it seems like it has the potential to offer quite a bit of functionality in the future. We can already boot into the gateway launcher and do nand backups, backup saves, restore saves, and all that jazz.

So what does Gateway offer to N3DS users that will not be achieved, or has not yet been achieved, through the Cubic Ninja exploits?

Thanks!

2. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Modified roms.
    CIA installation
    Region free
    homebrew

Unless you run PastaCFW, then you can do all that stuff.

3. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Emunand.

KazoWAR and Kafke like this.
  4. Simplicity
    OP

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    I do run Pasta CFW, which is why I was wondering. Though I understand that it is not particularly a good idea to be messing with sysnand.

Can I not install Emunand with CN somehow? If not, I assume Gateway's Emunand is completely hackable..?

Thanks for the information.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Gateway is the only emuNAND solution for n3DS, o3DS users have more options.

6. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    And the gateway is currently the only way to play xenoblade andd pokemon shuffle without updating.

Kafke likes this.
  7. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Sexy fingernails.

porkiewpyne, Ronhero, viz and 4 others like this.
  8. Pizzakoe

Pizzakoe Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2011
    Netherlands
    I can play pokémon shuffle on my 9.2 O3DS just fine with PastaCFW

9. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    You could just install the shuffle cia on pasta

10. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    Compared to pasta - emunand, several games like xenoblade that require higher native fw and direct launching of .3ds roms without long installation.

11. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    It's also much faster to take the microSD out of a Gateway and pop a new ROM on than take apart a n3ds, copy a cia and wait for it to install which could be important to those with smaller capacity cards who switch games often

12. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Weird, it didn't work for me on emunand 9.2 with gw (stuck on 3ds logo), and some people had the same thing with pasta. :unsure:

13. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    also, with gw it is like you actually own the cart you are plaing in .3ds format.
    and having installing a game via cia, that does not match up with your eshop purchase history - so i think gw is safer

14. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    You could do pretty much everything a Gateway is used for without one... if someone wrote the software to do it. Nobody has written software that lets you have an EmuNAND using CN without a Gateway, and all or almost all of the hackers that could write it, refuse because they think they're "stopping piracy" by making sure that pirates have to pay money to Gateway,

15. sbm888

sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia

I'm a bit lost - what can the O3DS do? I have both N3DS and O3DS and only 1 GW cart.... was planning to get a second one, but would like to know my options....

16. nccom
    This message by nccom has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: flame bait.
    May 25, 2015
  17. Randomixx

Randomixx Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2015
    For me, the simple answer is "ROM hacks". Everything else I am more than happy to pay for and play legit, but at this point in time a Gateway card is the only way to play modified 3DS ROMs, including fan translations (since *cough*certain companies*cough* refuse to localise long-awaited games, in spite of tens of thousands of fans literally begging).

18. NEO117
    This message by NEO117 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: flame bait.
    May 25, 2015
  19. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    This is too hilarious.

Someone actually wants to compare GW to an actual game cartridge.

Your using gateway features to get the job done EITHER WAY. There is no comparison.

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    rxTools emuNAND as well as Palantine CFW. The former being just straight emuNAND with no hacks, which is great if that's all you need, since it supports emuNAND 9.7 :P
    Not too interesting to someone who already has a GW cart though. I would get a copy of Cubic Ninja instead if you don't have one, NTR-CFW on n3DS offers a lot of features you can't get any other way (or at all on o3DS)

WhoAmI? likes this.
  21. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    I'm thinking the benefit of gateway is once/if we have the new keys you can update to the latest firmware. Right now that's not a huge issue since you can still play online on 9.X and spoof your firmware with pasta to access the eshop but if that gets fixed then gateway will have the benefit of being able to update emunand while a CFW with no emunand, like pasta, has to stay on 9.2 or less

Randomixx and cearp like this.
  22. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    And I replied to that in my previous post but somebody had to complain " and all or almost all of the hackers that could write it, refuse because they think they're "stopping piracy" by making sure that pirates have to pay money to Gateway" as usual. Its wasn't a reply to OP.
    Another thing that I'm not sure about - pasta has regionfree for .cia games or not? Looking through source files on github I only see memory patch from pastebin so I assume not?