Hacking [Q] USB Serial TTL Rs232 PL2303 To Hardmob Possible?

Mr Skinner

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nerdfy.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The title is self explanatory. I wondered if a USB device Serial TTL Rs232 PL2303, could successfully replace the memory card readers in hardmod process.
* Hardmob = Hardmod (Oh jez... text editor f**ck-me)

450xN.jpg

If it worked, it would be a very good solution to incompatibility of some low-quality SD readers.

Last edited by Mr Skinner,

Mr Skinner

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nerdfy.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
That's an USB to serial adapter, which has nothing to do with SD cards...
Of Course Dude, I know it well. I work with developing platforms that use this device to create images (iso) devices such as modems and routers. I'm not familiar is the Nintendo 3ds answer to this unit properly.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, if you're looking for a serial console, the 3DS doesn't have any interactive bootloader or command line like on most routers... and as I said, it cannot be used to connect to the nand itself, so my point still stands :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Aren,t SD cards accessed by serial communication?
Yes and no; the slowest option is the MMC backwards compatible SPI mode (as opposed to dat0-only or dat0-4 SD modes), but you're not going to use it with such a generic serial adapter (as opposed to an actual SPI bus adapter; this is actually how the Raspberry Unbricker works)

Reactions: LongTimeLurker

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i would guess more people have SD card readers than rs232 adapters, and tbh the compatibility is only a issue for 2DS and n3ds models, the o3ds and o3ds xl in my experience work with pretty much any SD card readers....and tbh hardmods are not as popular as they once were thanks to a9lh making accidentally updating sysnand a thing of the past, most people getting them now just want the downgrade done for them and actually dont even want a port installed, so they don't have to worry about SD compatibility

afaik there is a £2/3 adapter that has been confirmed working for even the n3ds, so if you really needed to you could buy that anyway

Last edited by gamesquest1,

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes and no; the slowest option is the MMC backwards compatible SPI mode (as opposed to dat0-only or dat0-4 SD modes), but you're not going to use it with such a generic serial adapter (as opposed to an actual SPI bus adapter; this is actually how the Raspberry Unbricker works)
Tiny correction: The Pi does true SD (the broadcom SoC does it in dedicated hardware).

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night