Hacking [Q] Sleephack for the EZ Flash IV - File size changing?

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Hi guys,

Recently I have been trying the sleephack on many game for my EZ Flash IV 2015 edition (because the official reset patch doesn't work anymore), and other than the fact many games don't start/have huge bugs after patching, I realized something; the size of almost all the files I patched changed. Some are smaller, some a little bit bigger, which is annoying for the 16MB games (they don't fit in the PSRAM anymore).

My guess is that the patch is trimming the roms, then add few bytes of code for the sleephack.
If that's the case, could it be the trimming that causes many roms to not work properly afterward?
Is there a way to patch the roms without trimming them, for testing purpose?

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hi guys,

Recently I have been trying the sleephack on many game for my EZ Flash IV 2015 edition (because the official reset patch doesn't work anymore), and other than the fact many games don't start/have huge bugs after patching, I realized something; the size of almost all the files I patched changed. Some are smaller, some a little bit bigger, which is annoying for the 16MB games (they don't fit in the PSRAM anymore).

My guess is that the patch is trimming the roms, then add few bytes of code for the sleephack.
If that's the case, could it be the trimming that causes many roms to not work properly afterward?
ON my ez-iv all games work fine. Tell me are you putting all the games in one folder on your ez-sd card?

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the answer ;)
I am putting less than 80 files by folder to avoid the folder bug.
I basically have 4 folders with games.
Maybe it'd not related, but most of my rom dump are European or Japanese versions.
Forgot to mention, I use Kuwanger's Sleephack with the reset patch.
Also I tried both soft reset and hard reset boot, I even updated the firmware to the modded 1.77 (with always on hard reset boot), but nothing changes, still the same problems with the same roms.
Sometime the game doesn't boot, sometime the game glitch completely and can't be played.
For instance, Advance Wars EU doesn't boot at all after patching (with ezgba and the sleephack/EZ reset).

Edit: Also, does the file size changes after you patch the rom?

Last edited by Stremon,

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Advance war works fine on my gba sp & ez-iv.
2ciguw7.jpg

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Thanks for the answer ;)
I am putting less than 80 files by folder to avoid the folder bug.
I basically have 4 folders with games.
Maybe it'd not related, but most of my rom dump are European or Japanese versions.
Forgot to mention, I use Kuwanger's Sleephack with the reset patch.
Also I tried both soft reset and hard reset boot, I even updated the firmware to the modded 1.77 (with always on hard reset boot), but nothing changes, still the same problems with the same roms.
Sometime the game doesn't boot, sometime the game glitch completely and can't be played.
For instance, Advance Wars EU doesn't boot at all after patching (with ezgba and the sleephack/EZ reset).

Edit: Also, does the file size changes after you patch the rom?
try this thing https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ez-flash-iv-aio.370132/

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
I think I used ez-gba to patch & move my roms to the sd-card. Try putting 70roms on each folder.
You didn't use the sleephack for the reset in the ezflash menu?
No it had nothing to do with the folder bug, since the same roms in the same folders work perfectly without the sleephack.

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
No it had nothing to do with the folder bug, since the same roms in the same folders work perfectly without the sleephack.
maximum roms you can put on 1 folder is 77.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have almost 1000roms on my sd all of them work 100% fine.

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
maximum roms you can put on 1 folder is 77.
I already know that's, why are you repeating it?
It has nothing to do with the folder bug!
Out of 70 roms almost half of them are not working with the sleephack.
And I already tested them one by one in another folder anyway.
But did you use the sleephack or not??

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I already know that's, why are you repeating it?
It has nothing to do with the folder bug!
Out of 70 roms almost half of them are not working with the sleephack.
And I already tested them one by one in another folder anyway.
But did you use the sleephack or not??
I don't know what sleephack is never used it before. As I told before I used ezgba patch tool.

Hey tell me this. The games that won't work on your ez-iv. Do they show a folder image instead of a gba image?

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
I don't know what sleephack is never used it before. As I told before I used ezgba patch tool.
Seriously? Man, I know you are trying to help, but did you even read my first post or at least the title before answering?
Since the first post I am speaking of issues related to the sleephack ONLY. If you never used the sleephack, or don't know what it is, there is no point of telling me that your roms are working.
I know that since all my roms are working too WITHOUT the sleephack.

Hey tell me this. The games that won't work on your ez-iv. Do they show a folder image instead of a gba image?
No, the few games with folder image are working perfectly.

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Don't use sleephack. What do you want with the sleep hack anyway? if you have GBA SP you don't need a sleep mode.
1. I have a Gameboy Micro
2. Normal sleep mode in most games don't work anymore in the ezflash.
3. More than the sleepmode, I am using it for the included reset function patch for ez flash that allow me to go back to the ez flash menu without switching off and on.
4. If you don't care or know anything about the sleephack, why are you even trying to argue here? Thanks for your help, but it is really going nowhere there.

Last edited by Stremon,

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
1. I have a Gameboy Micro
2. Normal sleep mode in most games don't work anymore in the ezflash.
3. More than the sleepmode, I am using it for the included reset function patch for ez flash that allow me to go back to the ez flash menu without switching off and on.
4. If you don't care or know anything about the sleephack, why are you even trying to argue here? Thanks for your help, but it is really going nowhere there.
ok sorry for helping you.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Use the 2007 version of the EZ client if you want a working reset function:
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/EZ4_20070521.zip
I don't think the trimming is affecting the your roms (I've never had a problem with trimmed GBA roms), some roms just don't work when sleep patched. You can re-pad your trimmed roms in a hex editor. You could try GBATA for sleep patching, it has pretty good compatibility. When Kuwanger's sleep/reset doesnt work, I try a combo of the EZ Client (20070521) and GBATA for sleep and reset patches. It works pretty well:
http://www.no-intro.org/gbadat/tools/gbata7a-en.zip
With regards to your last point, it's the sleep patch that sometimes adds a few bytes to the rom size. I have a couple of 16mb roms which I have only the reset patch applied because of this.

Last edited by Gyron_Oldvic,
Reactions: Stremon

Stremon

OP
Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Use the 2007 version of the EZ client if you want a working reset function:
http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/EZ4_20070521.zip
I don't think the trimming is affecting the your roms (I've never had a problem with trimmed GBA roms), some roms just don't work when sleep patched. You can re-pad your trimmed roms in a hex editor. You could try GBATA for sleep patching, it has pretty good compatibility. When Kuwanger's sleep/reset doesnt work, I try a combo of the EZ Client (20070521) and GBATA for sleep and reset patches. It works pretty well:
http://www.no-intro.org/gbadat/tools/gbata7a-en.zip
With regards to your last point, it's the sleep patch that sometimes adds a few bytes the rom size. I have a couple of 16mb roms which I have only the reset patch applied because of this.
You mean the reset patch is still working with the old EZ client? That is great to know!
I will try that, since I don't especially need a sleep patch for every rom, the simple reset patch should be perfect ;)
Thanks, that's very useful info :D

Edit: You were right! that old version of the EZ client does work perfectly for the reset patch! Thanks a lot! :)
The sleephack of gbadat also work nicely, but the reset function reset the game, ans doesn't bring back the the EZ menu. Is there a way to combine both without messing up too much with the rom?

Last edited by Stremon,

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean the reset patch is still working with the old EZ client? That is great to know!
I will try that, since I don't especially need a sleep patch for every rom, the simple reset patch should be perfect ;)
Thanks, that's very useful info :D

Edit: You were right! that old version of the EZ client does work perfectly for the reset patch! Thanks a lot! :)
The sleephack of gbadat also work nicely, but the reset function reset the game, ans doesn't bring back the the EZ menu. Is there a way to combine both without messing up too much with the rom?

You can use both the EZ Client and GBATA on the same rom to have both reset and sleep normally without issue. Many of my roms are patched with both progs. Just make sure you use a different key combo for the EZ reset and the GBATA reset so they don't clash. The GBATA reset function will never reset back to the EZ Menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one