Homebrew (Q): saving US GC Game in the same MC as my EU games or different MC?

2DSGamerdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hi all,
um I was wondering for running a gamecube game on wii in nintendodont,
if it is a US version, can I save the game in a memory card that has all my other game saves that are of different region? EU for example or do I need to save it on a different MC?

thanx

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I can only talk about my personal experience, but I have one MC for PAL, and another for NTSC-US games, for organization's sake.
Thing is, though, that in the PAL one I also have some NTSC saves, and viceversa, and I never had a problem while using them.

Looking here we can read this:

The Gamecube's Memory Card data format is determined by the console region. While NTSC-U and PAL save data can typically be stored on the same memory card, memory cards used with NTSC-J consoles must be reformatted to Japanese settings or data corruption can occur. A separate memory card should be used for each region to avoid data corruption and/or loss of save data.

So it seems that for the most part, game saves of different regions can exist together (although I wouldn't have saves of the same exact game with both regions, just in case). My recommendation would be that, if you want to have a single memory card, you should back it up from time to time with GCMM.

I suppose is similar to PS2, where you can also have both PAL and NTSC saves on the same memory card.

Reactions: 2DSGamerdude

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hi all,
um I was wondering for running a gamecube game on wii in nintendodont,
if it is a US version, can I save the game in a memory card that has all my other game saves that are of different region? EU for example or do I need to save it on a different MC?

thanx
That's no problem, but if you're using virtual memory cards you can also have a separate memcard for each game, which might be a good idea since some saves can be rather large and I don't think the virtual memcard size is unlimited. It also makes managing saves, backing them up and such easy.

Reactions: 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
np, thanx guys for the help, for us GC games, I'll run them from mu usb with my other gc games and save them on a different MC card just for uS games, also GCMM is a great app, been using it for years now.

glad I have like 2x official GC mc cards :)
also, offtopic: how scary is "eternal darkness?"
I tried playing it when I was 15, my friend loaned me his copy of the game to try out on my then GC console, and just from the first minutes, I was shit scared as fuck.
turned it off imdidatly, lol.

I've seen that it has the best ratings like high 92's of 100% for a 2002 game.
im willing to try playing it again.

I heard/read that it fucks with your psychology/mind etc, but it's a "good game"?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
One thing I like about GC/Wii is that is not stingy with memory cards, at least in my experience. I've been using two third party (generic) ones, 20 megabytes, for each region, and for quite a few years already (6 at the very least) and I still have to find any issue with them. Compared to PS2, and how over 8MB cards can be quite unstable, and how Sony forced for thirds to program "memory card checks" so games wouldn't save properly on third party cards (like God Hand), GC memory cards are so hassle free it's refreshing, lol.

About Eternal Darkness... I always say that what scare each of us can be very different and subjective. Some people find blood scary, others may find implications way more terryfing. The game by itself can be scary, and I still consider it one of the greatest of its generation. That said, I can't keep up with what "general public" cares or likes any more, so what I may think may not hold for current "gamers". It's not a "jumpscare-a-minute" type of game, thankfully. That said, the game does like to screw with you, that is correct!

And yeah, I also got scared easily back in the day. I remember Resident Evil Remake, and being too afraid of doing anything, wasting typewriter tapes left & right with each silly step I did, and finding out I was completely screwed. Then I discovered that zombies could break doors, completely shattering what I thought to be safety barriers. Fun times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey