Hacking Q regarding retail games save file when switching to the NN3DS

Nobita!

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I asked this question on the Games&Content board but didnt get a clear answer. So I have been using GW Classic mode to play my retail Bravely Default game (my sysNAND is 4.x, while emuNAND is 9.5). With the release of the new 3ds, I'm planning to play all of my current and future retail games on the new system, while still keeping the old 3ds for playing ROMs. The question is will the save file from my retail game get deleted when switching to the new 3ds? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm really a noob when technical stuff is involved.
Oh and the game requires 6.2.0U if that helps.
Thanks in advance guys!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi, I asked this question on the Games&Content board but didnt get a clear answer. So I have been using GW Classic mode to play my retail Bravely Default game (my sysNAND is 4.x, while emuNAND is 9.5). With the release of the new 3ds, I'm planning to play all of my current and future retail games on the new system, while still keeping the old 3ds for playing ROMs. The question is will the save file from my retail game get deleted when switching to the new 3ds? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm really a noob when technical stuff is involved.
Oh and the game requires 6.2.0U if that helps.
Thanks in advance guys!
yeah any retail games played in classic mode on a 4.x - 5.x system that use 6.x save encryption (basically any game that requires 6.x+) will loose their save when you switch to a proper 6.x system

Nobita!

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah any retail games played in classic mode on a 4.x - 5.x system that use 6.x save encryption (basically any game that requires 6.x+) will loose their save when you switch to a proper 6.x system
Thanks for the quick reply. Oh well, that really blows :(.
So say, if I backup my current save file and then play the game with the new 3ds. After that, can the save be restored when I want to play the game with the GW again?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah the save dumping and restoring feature in the gateway menu can do that.....i would say just backup your save and see how thing progress....we may eventually have a way to convert the fake6.x encrypted saves to valid 6.x encryption

Nobita!

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah the save dumping and restoring feature in the gateway menu can do that.....i would say just backup your save and see how thing progress....we may eventually have a way to convert the fake6.x encrypted saves to valid 6.x encryption
What I fear is that after being played with a new 3ds, the retail cartridge will no longer be able to work with a 4.x encrypted save file. I can still backup the save (well, i will :D) but there'll be no point if the cartridge refuses to work with it afterward.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no, if you backup the save in the gateway menu, you can restore it from there too, which would put it back exactly how it was when you backed it up, same goes for if you backup your 6.x save that is unplayable on gateway you can restore that afterwards to continue on a 6.x+ system....it would mean a bit of farting about, but it should be doable

Reactions: Nobita!

Nobita!

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no, if you backup the save in the gateway menu, you can restore it from there too, which would put it back exactly how it was when you backed it up, same goes for if you backup your 6.x save that is unplayable on gateway you can restore that afterwards to continue on a 6.x+ system....it would mean a bit of farting about, but it should be doable
Got it, thanks a lot gamesquest1! Well I guess the new 3ds will have to wait for a bit more then. Hopefully the GW team will find a way to go around with the old encrypted saves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I think it means something like one of these...