Hacking [Q] GBA cia on emunand not rendering screen correctly

Hepklep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So recently I've been dabbling in gba games converted to 3ds format in the form of a cia file. So they all install correctly and run, but the problem is that they don't display correctly. The top of the screen is cropped off and then displays on the bottom of the screen, so it makes it a bit difficult to play. This happens in some games more then others, and I was just wondering if anyone had come across it at all or knows of a fix for it?
xKdKai7.jpg

--------------------------------------
emunand 9.9 on a sysnand 3ds XL 9.2

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this using AGB_FIRM or the experimental GBA emulator found inside the other VC titles? I've been running a lot of custom AGB_FIRM GBA games and I've never had this problem. How does the ROM you used run in something like VBA?

Hepklep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is this using AGB_FIRM or the experimental GBA emulator found inside the other VC titles? I've been running a lot of custom AGB_FIRM GBA games and I've never had this problem. How does the ROM you used run in something like VBA?
Bringing up an old thread I know, but it's just this game. Doesn't matter what source it comes from, as soon as it's put as a CIA on the 3ds it has the screen off so the top pans back around to the bottom. These are all installed as CIA's and I've tried on multiple emunand versions all the way from 9.6 through to 10.3 and every time the exact same thing. As I said, I have not seen this with any game except DBZ Legacy of Goku II. Does anyone experience this? And if so has anyone found a fix?

LeSpaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump an old thread (probably better than starting a new one)...
but I am getting the same problem above when I try loading Pokemon Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green.

Specs:
New 3DS
Reinand 10.7
128gb MicroSD

I'm hoping the only fix isn't switching sd cards because there's really isn't a chance for me to just swap out a 128gb card...

So if any one knows a possible fix?

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had this problem recently and it only happens on GBA VC roms 16MB and larger. I had the problem on Zelda Minish Cap, Mega Man Zero 4, Donkey Kong Country 3 and all Pokemon Games. Not really sure why it is happening. I am formatting my mSD with 64 kb clusters and installing the AGB_FIRM with no splash screen to try and fix. Are you using the AGB_FIRM with Gameboy splash screen?

LeSpaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had this problem recently and it only happens on GBA VC roms 16MB and larger. I had the problem on Zelda Minish Cap, Mega Man Zero 4, Donkey Kong Country 3 and all Pokemon Games. Not really sure why it is happening. I am formatting my mSD with 64 kb clusters and installing the AGB_FIRM with no splash screen to try and fix. Are you using the AGB_FIRM with Gameboy splash screen?

Hmm that's pretty good speculation for >16MB games.

And yes I'm using the patched agb_firm with the splash screen (because nostalgia lol).
I guess i might as well try the patched agb_firm without the splash screen i guess.

ANU815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any update on this? I'm also using a 128gb FAT32 formatted microSD on my N3DS on aureinand a9lhax. I have the exact same screen issue except for <16mb games (I think). I've not done anything with agb_firm other than what was in the aureinand a9lhax install pages. I only have sysnand. No red or emunand.

LeSpaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately still happening with mine, with the screen display being off like shown above.
Guess we'd just have to cut down the >16MB files I guess??

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Assuming you're using a custom Minish Cap ROM and not, for example, the eshop one?

jonnytron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, same problem here. I posted on the homebrew boards but realised that it's probably not the ideal place for this issue.

Some (not all) GBA injects I have on my system display the top screen overlapping the top margin - so that the top of the screen is displayed at the bottom of the image for some reason.

Specifically pokemon (and all other pokemon injects ive tried to replace them with) have this problem... so far i've tried replacing these titles but cant find any that don't have the issue. i've tried restoring my TWL and GBA to stock (incase I had any other patching going on) and changing the options in Luma for GBA booting.

*Further information on my system; N3DS XL running 11.0 CFW sysNAND with Luma3DS

Edit: It seems to happen exclusively to GBA inject CIA's in the 16Mb size range? Ideas on how to fix? roms around 33, 8 or 4Mb in size are fine.

So has anyone quietly found a method to fix this? Aside from downsizing the SD card?

Edit: Also, pressing the home button in game makes the screen scroll further up... after doing this a good 20 times the screen levels itself out. So i suppose thats sort of a fix.

Last edited by jonnytron,

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hi, same problem here. I posted on the homebrew boards but realised that it's probably not the ideal place for this issue.

So has anyone quietly found a method to fix this? Aside from downsizing the SD card?

Edit: Also, pressing the home button in game makes the screen scroll further up... after doing this a good 20 times the screen levels itself out. So i suppose thats sort of a fix.

I have noticed the same but for me its totally random.
Sometimes the game doesn't get cut-off, and sometimes (feels like 30%?) it does.
Also the home button only moves the screen up by some pixel every 10th time i push it.

I asked some people in IRC but they think I'm crazy as they've never heard of it.

btw. 128gb sd + n3dsxl + luma3ds

Reactions: Hepklep

jonnytron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah ive just given up hope at this stage. I just hammer the home button until the screen fixes if i ever want to play those titles :lol: its just a very odd side effect of big sd cards i think.

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
the aurora dev said this:
"I recall this being an AGB FIRM issue with cluster size on the SD FAT FS (too small or too large, can't remember). It surely is not a Luma issue."
What are your cluster sizes on the SD?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to put this issue to rest once and for all, I did 10 tests of 3 SD, 3 times each with different formats, here are the results.
All performed on a New 3DS XL, with the official copy of WarioWare, Inc. Mega Microgame$!. Cards formatted with Minitool Partition Wizard each time.
---
4GB Toshiba SDHC @ FAT32 16KB Cluster Size
0/10 times the issue was present.

4GB Toshiba SDHC @ FAT32 32KB Cluster Size

4GB Toshiba SDHC @ FAT32 64KB Cluster Size
1/10 times the issue was present.

32GB SanDisk SDHC @ FAT32 16KB Cluster Size

32GB SanDisk SDHC @ FAT32 32KB Cluster Size

32GB SanDisk SDHC @ FAT32 64KB Cluster Size
1/10 times the issue was present.

64GB Samsung EVO SDXC @ FAT32 16KB Cluster Size

64GB Samsung EVO SDXC @ FAT32 32KB Cluster Size

64GB Samsung EVO SDXC @ FAT32 64KB Cluster Size
2/10 times the issue was present.

---
Seems clusters above 32KB cause the issue. So riding the line by being on 32 seems to be the best option, since it seems going lower makes the console significantly slower, especially on the largest card sizes.

In addition, it seems it may be more common on larger card sizes, possibly related to larger cards being slower?

Edit: fixed a couple typos I made.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, , Reason: fixed typos.

contingences

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, it seems getting a 128gb micro sd card could be an issue alone:
mine is :

128GB sandisc SDXC @ FAT32 32KB Cluster size
6/10 times the issue was present (with certain games only, like FFVIadv) - and 10/10 on first boot.

So, revert back to 64 (humpf, I dumped all my collection on my 128) will do the trick ?

Regards

(nb : when you are playing GBA in original resolution (Start+Select when loading the game) it’s not the upper screen which is cropped to the bottom, but the bottom which is double. The upper section is missing, though.

Last edited by contingences,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Sicklyboy I was reading your post on the lgbtq batman