PS1/2 [Q] best way to mod a ps2 phat

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think also MC Boot memory card, easy to make and it works great.
But i don't know if there is a psx swap solution that works.

HD Loader/HD Adavnce/Open Loader + 500 gig HDD works also great, faster load times and you save your old PS2 laser.
Only downside is that some games don't work on those loaders, but those games can you play with Cosswap/Swapmagic.
I have 2 PS2's the phat one for games on my HDD and a the slim one for swap games.

xen20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
MCBoot doesn't allow for burned PS1 games IIRC. A USB drive is way, way, way too slow to be a good option. Internal HDD works best, like the poster above me said. There's also ESR for loading backups from disc.

Also, last I checked, MCBoot is not possible to install on a non-hacked console unless you have somebody with a hacked one already to prep the install for you. Fat PS2's can use the independence exploit if they have a way of putting said exploits' files on their memory card - somebody's hacked console with ulaunchelf for example. Among the methods to install FMCB is a swap trick with changing discs in the middle of the game, I suggest against it. More info here: http://freemcboot.info/

If I were you, I'd just get MCBoot for PS2 and a cheap PS1 (with a modchip, cheap to buy or make at home, kind of easy to install). That's the best option in my eyes.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can also use Swap Magic v3.8 coder cd or dvd to install MCboot on a memorycard.

Yes it is a pain in the *ss to get MCboot on a memory card if you don't havet nobody with a swap disc/modded/mc boot for help.
Also with Openloader you also stream iso's over a network cable from a pc to ps2.
It is faster than USB.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded my memory card with freemcboot, with a phat ps2. I used the swap disc trick. It wasn't hard and don't see why somebody would recommend against it.

You can also get an official Sony usb memory card reader that was made for the PS3. They are not made anymore but can be found on ebay. With that you can use your computer to install FMCB to the memory card.

Reactions: FGOD

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
img_27021.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. It's a ps2 memory card reader that will transfer PS1 and PS2 game saves to a PS3. You can also use it to mod a memory card and install FMCB to it. Only the one that Sony made will work, so if you go that route you will need the Sony brand. The reason is because normally a computer will not recognize the adapter or memory card, and the driver that was made will only recognize the Sony brand adapter. There is more information at psx-scene, where the initial release was made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over