[Q] best way to mod a ps2 phat

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by FGOD, Jan 6, 2013.

Jan 6, 2013

[Q] best way to mod a ps2 phat by FGOD at 1:03 PM (1,333 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. FGOD
    OP

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    hey, i recently got a ps2 from a friend of mine and want to mod it so i can play burned psx and ps2 games on it or play through usb drive... what are my best options and how can i do it?

2. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    i think it would be making a vast memory card

3. DaFixer

Member DaFixer GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think also MC Boot memory card, easy to make and it works great.
    But i don't know if there is a psx swap solution that works.

HD Loader/HD Adavnce/Open Loader + 500 gig HDD works also great, faster load times and you save your old PS2 laser.
    Only downside is that some games don't work on those loaders, but those games can you play with Cosswap/Swapmagic.
    I have 2 PS2's the phat one for games on my HDD and a the slim one for swap games.

4. xen20

Newcomer xen20 Member

Israel
    MCBoot doesn't allow for burned PS1 games IIRC. A USB drive is way, way, way too slow to be a good option. Internal HDD works best, like the poster above me said. There's also ESR for loading backups from disc.

Also, last I checked, MCBoot is not possible to install on a non-hacked console unless you have somebody with a hacked one already to prep the install for you. Fat PS2's can use the independence exploit if they have a way of putting said exploits' files on their memory card - somebody's hacked console with ulaunchelf for example. Among the methods to install FMCB is a swap trick with changing discs in the middle of the game, I suggest against it. More info here: http://freemcboot.info/

If I were you, I'd just get MCBoot for PS2 and a cheap PS1 (with a modchip, cheap to buy or make at home, kind of easy to install). That's the best option in my eyes.

5. DaFixer

Member DaFixer GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You can also use Swap Magic v3.8 coder cd or dvd to install MCboot on a memorycard.

Yes it is a pain in the *ss to get MCboot on a memory card if you don't havet nobody with a swap disc/modded/mc boot for help.
    Also with Openloader you also stream iso's over a network cable from a pc to ps2.
    It is faster than USB.

6. FGOD
    OP

Netherlands
    so my best option is to get mcboot on my memorycard? great, now only need to figure out how that works :P

7. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    I recently modded my memory card with freemcboot, with a phat ps2. I used the swap disc trick. It wasn't hard and don't see why somebody would recommend against it.

You can also get an official Sony usb memory card reader that was made for the PS3. They are not made anymore but can be found on ebay. With that you can use your computer to install FMCB to the memory card.

FGOD likes this.
  8. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    [​IMG]

This is what I'm talking about. It's a ps2 memory card reader that will transfer PS1 and PS2 game saves to a PS3. You can also use it to mod a memory card and install FMCB to it. Only the one that Sony made will work, so if you go that route you will need the Sony brand. The reason is because normally a computer will not recognize the adapter or memory card, and the driver that was made will only recognize the Sony brand adapter. There is more information at psx-scene, where the initial release was made.

9. FGOD
    OP

Netherlands
    thanks, but i ordered the agent under fire game and i hope to get it soon by mail so i'll report back how it went... ;)