Homebrew [Q] Best way to mitigate low quality for theme CWAVs?

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
OP
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to put together a theme, and I want to have custom sounds in it. But holy heck, does the quality drop when you run WAV files through the CWAV converter. I wouldn't mind it so badly if the audio didnt basically become unrecognizable afterwards... Is there anything I can do to kinda, ease the quality degradation? Either, say, some command-line switch for the converter that I missed, or perhaps some sort of pre- and/or post-processing I can do on the WAVs?
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give~

plushifoxed

OP
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the CWAV converter has a terrible resampler? Try using 32KHz audio as the input, so it doesn't have to be resampled.
Hmm... That helped a little bit (I also tried 16Khz just to double check), but after the WAV gets converted to a CWAV, the sound clip, though slightly better, still sounds mostly as bad as it did with the prior settings... I think it's bringing it down to 8Khz even though the home menu supposedly supports 16Khz. If there's any way to get a 16Khz clip out of the converter, or just improve the quality of the clip at 8Khz, it'd be awesome...

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can choose not to lower their quality but the rate of success will vary. That is, the SFX you add might not appear at all when you install the theme.

Reactions: plushifoxed

plushifoxed

OP
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the CWAV converter has a terrible resampler? Try using 32KHz audio as the input, so it doesn't have to be resampled.

You can choose not to lower their quality but the rate of success will vary. That is, the SFX you add might not appear at all when you install the theme.
I wanted to thank both of you for your advice! I followed Fishaman's, in particular, after re-reading it while not sleep-deprived, and it ended up working out; my theme has very high-quality audio clips now. I'm gonna be releasing it soon, actually! Thanks to both of you~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over