[Q] Best flashcart for GBA SP/Micro in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by icelaglace, Apr 19, 2018.

1. icelaglace
    OP

icelaglace Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hello everyone,

I've been looking around this forum & across the web about which flashcart to get for my GBA SP and Micro.

The new EZ-Flash Omega looks great but it seems that it was reported with a very high power consumption...? (Reported by FAST6191 on another thread)

I really don't mind not having fancy features as long as there's a flashcart that does not destroy the battery and runs most of the GBA games, I don't mind having to patch games if the flashcart does not support RTC, for example.

I've seen that the EverDrive X5 does have a very good power consumption but the fact that the cartridge isn't flush is a deal-breaker for me :(

Should I go for an older version of the EZ-Flash or another clone or just the latest Omega or something else ?

Thank you very much!

Hoping this is the correct place to post this... :)

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Last edited by Jayro, Apr 19, 2018
  3. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Basically, the currently best cards are the Everdrive X5 and the EZ-Flash Omega. They both have their pros and cons. I am not able to compare the external build quality of the cards since I don't have an Everdrive GBA X5

What both cards have in common:
    High compatibility with the entire GBA game library
    All save types supported, no ROM patching required
    Fast Loading (most games load within 1 - 2 seconds)
    256Mbit PSRAM (32MByte) ROM memory
    Real-time clock support (RTC)
    SD, SDHC and SDXC cards are supported
    Supported with gamecube player, super retro advance adapter and other GBA accessories
    NES, GB and GBC games support via emulation

Everdrive X5
    Pros:
    Low power consumption
    Battery replaceable (used for RTC and saving)

Cons:
    FAT32 support only
    RTC causes troubles when using multiple games with an RTC function
    larger than a regular GBA game (will stick out in GBA consoles, even farther in DS-Lite consoles)

EZ-Flash Omega
    Pros:
    FAT, FAT32 and exFAT support
    smaller than even a regular GBA game, sits flush even in a DS Lite
    Savestate functionality
    Cheat functionality
    Reset to menu
    less than half the price of an everdrive X5
    RTC works perfectly with multiple games

Cons:
    higher power consumption
    Battery soldered in - soldering required to replace if it runs dry (only used for the RTC)

NOTE: regarding older EZ-Flash Cards (IV/Reform): They are slightly cheaper than the omega. They also don't require patches to run the games if you're using the latest kernel (2.05). IIRC @FAST6191 reported a comparable power draw between the IV and the omega, I'd assume the reform wont have any significantly different power draw either. That being said, I have been using the EZFlash IV for years in my GBA. Yes, it was noticeable that it draws more power than a GBA Game but it was certainly not abbysmall (sp?) or unacceptable. If money is a big concern, the EZFlash IV and Reform are still valid options, imho if you're willing to live without some added features.

Last edited by Localhorst86, Apr 19, 2018
    Goombabomber86 and migles like this.
  4. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    I have an everdrivex5, ezflashIV, and ezflashIII. I may sell the everdrive and/or the ezflashIV and get the omega.

5. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    How are the saves dealt with on the Everdrive? Does it require a reset or a wait while it writes to the SD card?
    Or does it simply just save via the battery and transfer to the SD card instantly?

6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Buy from Krizz direct if you decide on the Everdrive. It's the only way to purchase one IMO.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I wish all flash carts would just freeze the game for a second and write directly to the SD from the SRAM.

8. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    That would be nice, but possibly annoying if there was a game that constantly wrote to the SRAM in the background as you played.

If we're going to wish for things, I'd like a physical button on the cart that dumped the SRAM to the SD card whenever it was pressed. So you can play uninterrupted as long as you want whilst using a internal battery for SRAM, then when you're done you hit the button and dump the save.

9. icelaglace
    OP

icelaglace Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2018
    New Zealand

Would you mind explaining why please? :) I'm very curious.

Thank you very much for the details with pros / cons! Very useful :)
    And thanks everyone for the fast replies!

Seems that most of you are actually recommending the EverDrive X5, I guess i'll just have to accept the fact that it doesn't fit perfectly fine on a GBA :)

My main priority is battery life as I mostly use my GBA outside of home.
    But then I wonder, will the EZ-Flash Omega improve in terms of power consumption or is it just how the hardware is done ?

I was also looking into older flashcarts too but I've seen the Reform on a comment give people only 1 hour of battery life on a Micro which is crazy (Only one guy though, can't really confirm anything, I don't own any flashcart yet :P) I thought older carts as they have way less features would be more efficient ... but seems not lol.

If the price isn't an issue, should I still go for the EverDrive X5?
    Thanks!

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    One of the kernel updates did improve the performance enough to be noted, even on my crude setup. Whether they continue to pursue that I don't know. There is scope to do so as I saw power draw at points during the test but down there with the older stuff that everybody seems happy with.

Equally you can charge the thing from USB if you have one of those USB power banks that are so popular these days.

11. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    I would go for the omega, really. Not only is it less expensive but it also has more features and doesn't stick out from the GBA.
    I always felt that the EDGBA simply wasn't worth the premium price it asks for.

There really never was a point where I though "damn, battery life with my EZ-Flash is really short."

12. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California

I’d go for the omega because, it’s cheaper, it fits better in the Gba, the NOR is much larger than the usual 32MB, and I’ve always like the interface better. Sure the battery is soldered in, but changing it isn’t that bad. On my ezflashIII, I broke the tabs from the original battery and slid a new battery in there. Works great.

13. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I would not recommend that. Just hold the soldering iron on one of the tabs and pull the battery up. It's not hard like some people would like you to believe.

14. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    I was talking about the tabs right on the battery. Replacement batteries don’t have similar tabs as they are unique to the ezflashIII.