-KangaRod-

OP
Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just fired up Puzzle Quest yesterday cause everyone has been raving about it.
Now just a little background on me here. I'm not a moron by a long shot. My brain age holds pretty steady around 25-30, I can clear tetris every time I try, and can beat the most difficult Picross puzzles in 10 minutes.....

I could not beat the fucking first level of Puzzle Quest.
I must've tried 10 times before deciding it was fucked. Anyone else seem to have trouble with the first level? I feel like I'm either playing the game completly wrong (doesn't seem likely) or the game itself is so hard/complicated that I'm missing shit.. and that its fucked (more likely).

Sorry about everything being fucked. Just been watching TPBs.

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
I had troubles the first time. It is a puzzle/RPG, you have to get higher levels, buy weapons, and crap like that. But it's not hard, if you are really good you can pull off those amazing combos (I did 3 5 in a rows + 5 4 in a rows in one combo)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had no troubles at all, remember it is a RPG as well so treat it like that! Most people go in and play it like Bejeweled and then wonder why they aren't doing well.

You work out your opponents weaknesses and your strengths and then play accordingly. Use your spells as well and clear gems that the computer are likely to use.

Plink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Its an ace game...no probs at all with it from the start.
As some people stated above its an RPG ... with everything that goes with it...
When you start lvling up and getting better items..things change...
Totally addictive game..at least for me..

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I almost quit after trying the 1st level a few times too. I never played Bejeweled before, so it was all completely new to me. And, don't you get to keep the experience that you gain each time you play through the 1st level? I seem to remember that I needed to level up or something before I could move on.

At any rate, I'm glad I stuck with it because I fucking love Puzzle Quest.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. I just wasn't feeling it. I have RPG's if I want an RPG experience. Puzzles are for like bam now satisfaction IMHO.
Well I guess thats your choice but this is very different to most games around, I really love this game to bits! For me it works as a game you can get stuck into for hours (even after I've completed it) and as a game you can play for 5 minutes (once you've gone up to level 20 or so). It bridges the gap between casual and hardcore. Its such a rewarding game too and also as someone who finds fantasy dialog to be boring lately I find it interesting in this game and makes a good little story..

qtrinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh i love puzzle quest. maybe you picked a shitty weak character to start with, such as the mage.

I used the knight, and they're awesome. Just focus on clearing the skulls to damage the opponent and you should be OK.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
*Puts hand up* Got stuck on second level, now stuck on 4th or 5th. And I play a silly amount of puzzle games. I'd never thought of it that way but I think other people in this thread are right, it's really a strategy-based rpg in disguise. I've never liked strategy games, found FF:TA a tad dull because of that. That would explain why my RP fanatic friends love Puzzle Quest to pieces, whereas I'd rather play quest mode on Zooo
smile.gif

Galaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some tips for new chars,

focus on the skulls to do damage. the coloured gems gives you mana, so, those won't kill your opponent.

I think when you're lvl10+, it's neccessary to slow down your moves so that you don't open up dangerous move for your oppenent. Most notably, if you make a move that open up the next move to make a 4x instead of the usual 3x, avoid that.
4x means free turn, you probably know that by level 10
smile.gif

pick which ever 4x when you can, keep your turn going as long as possible. and make use of those spells. remember to put them on your active spells list.

I think at around level 15, you will not beat anything without using spells.

Some spells causes you to lose turn some doesn't, so, read the descriptions or test them out.
Also, some spells causes you to lose turn but if that spell can give you a 4x, you keep your turn
smile.gif

I think warrior and knight are best starters to get the feel of the game.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The AI gets combos because it is better at seeing them.

The AI also gets combos because the move indicator doesn't take into account turn order. If you look for your own moves rather than use the ones suggested, you'll do better.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. Havn't you seen that video of the guy knowing what moves will come up next. If a guy can figure it out, for sure the computer can.

I saw the video. He isn't predicting the moves. What he's doing is using an exploit in the random number generator to predict the first few moves of the first match he plays *after loading the game*.

The game is random; he's just pulling off a somewhat common random number exploit.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so, what you are saying is there a flaw in the random number generator in that it doesn't generate random numbers?

Random Number Generators are mathematical equations. You provide a seed number, and it generates a series of numbers in return. If you start with the same seed, you'll always see the same series of numbers.

The game is random and generates random numbers just fine. BUT it saves the random number seed. If you start a match, reset your DS, and start another match, you'll have the same layout you did originally. This is because the saved seed hasn't changed.

You could exploit it, I guess, if you really are masochistic enough to map out all the computer's moves (which change in relation to yours). But you'd have to map it out for EACH match AND you'd be doing quite a bit of saving/reloading.

The point remains, though, that the game is random and the AI doesn't know what's coming next.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: