Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
imgur.png

You read that title right, Putt-Putt has sent a legal letter to Minecraft complaining about "unauthorized use" of their trademark.
Putt-Putt said:
We feel that Mojang AB's use of the Putt-Putt® name has benefit Mojang AB to the detriment of Putt-Putt.
Of course, this begs the question: "What the crap are they talking about?" Thankfully Putt-Putt included a printed screenshot of the "unauthorized use" along with the letter.
uT1gHfk.png
And the internet issued a collective sigh. This would not be the first time that issues like this have happened, with Marvel claiming NCsoft's City Of Heroes game allowing players to customize their characters allowed infringement of Marvel's various superhero IPs.

Of note is that this letter was sent from Putt-Putt's staff, not a lawyer.
Putt-Putt said:
we reserve our right to refer this matter to our legal counsel
Maybe they should have done that first!

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Scans

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
"Putt-Putt Sues Mojang" is a bit of a misleading title for user submitted news, no? The OP even says that all they've done is sent a letter (not even from a legal representative). They probably don't even know how Minecraft works and just hastily sent a letter without looking into it properly. I'm sure they'll realize their moronic action before going as far as actually suing.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
"Putt-Putt Sues Mojang" is a bit of a misleading title for user submitted news, no? The OP even says that all they've done is sent a letter (not even from a legal representative). They probably don't even know how Minecraft works and just hastily sent a letter without looking into it properly. I'm sure they'll realize their moronic action before going as far as actually suing.
A lawsuit in court isn't the only form of suing, the letter is a legal request (complete with over-explanations).

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
A lawsuit in court isn't the only form of suing, the letter is a legal request (complete with over-explanations).

Perhaps in traditional definitions of the word, but these days 'to sue' is almost exclusively used to imply seeking justice through the courts, particularly in the media. My issue was that the word's implications are misleading, regardless of the definition. Most people are ignorant of many word definitions when they only ever see them used in a single context.

Just saying.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps in traditional definitions of the word, but these days 'to sue' is almost exclusively used to imply seeking justice through the courts, particularly in the media. My issue was that the word's implications are misleading, regardless of the definition. Most people are ignorant of many word definitions when they only ever see them used in a single context.

Just saying.
Makes sense, edited it.

Reactions: McHaggis

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit. Do I go with "I hope Mojangs putts them in their place!" or "Ass-hole inone!" or "At least they were Fore-warned!" or the always classic "Mojang, Mo' problems!"? And then there's always the dark horse candidate, "When I heard the news, I guffawed golf-awed!"

Can nothing in life be easy?

Reactions: Rydian

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems kind of like a valid case to me :huh: Everyone's just siding with Notch because OMG MEINKRAFT IS TEH UBER SAWSE!!!!!!
"Putt-Putt" is a copywrited name, and apparently "Putt-Putt Craft" is in Minecraft. That's a valid case from everything I'm seeing. Am I overlooking something? If Sony made a mini-game on PS3 called "Microsoft Craft", I'm pretty sure they'd get sued by Microsoft. Or Microsoft making "Nintendo Craft" mini-game on 360, they'd get sued by Nintendo. Why is it stupid for Putt-Putt to sue for a "Putt-Putt Craft" mini-game in Minecraft?

EDIT: See below.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Am I overlooking something?
The entire situation?

Mojang's not doing anything. They're not involved at all with anything Putt-Putt is talking about.

Those are videos players uploaded of custom levels they made.

This is like suing crayola because people are using their crayons to draw Mickey Mouse.

Reactions: chyyran

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire situation?

Mojang's not doing anything. They're not involved at all with anything Putt-Putt is talking about.

Those are videos players uploaded of custom levels they made.

This is like suing crayola because people are using their crayons to draw Mickey Mouse.
Ah, yes, thank you. I don't play Minecraft, and the way those things were worded made it sound like "Putt-Putt Craft" was some sort of official mini-game in Minecraft. I'm guessing that's what the person who wrote that letter thought too. Still, even I'm not stupid enough to sue someone before asking/looking into the facts, as that person apparently is :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.