Put my hand to GBA emulator for iPlayer

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by darkchen, Jul 16, 2009.

Jul 16, 2009
  1. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    Hi~ I’m back. I want to continue the topic of GBA emulator for iplayer. Unfortunately, iplayer official refused to give me SDK, for considering copyright problems. But finally I have obtained SDK in other way what I’d like to keep secret. I beg you guys forgiveness.

Ok, let’s back to the topic. Now, I’ m analyzing the content of SDK. If you have read my previous post, you would have understand my idea, although you might not agree wity me, thinking it is impossible to emulate GBA by iplayer(my poor English ability may be a problem, I can not express everything perfectly). I consider It’s hard to write program all by myself. Fortunately I’m familiar with VBA (visual boy advanced), the PC platform GBA emulator, so first, I’m trying to migrate VBA form PC to iplayer. If it succeeded, it would suppose to be the best way. Before migration, I’d like to compare the parameter between GBA and iplayer.

Video interface port: GBA screen resolution: 240 X 160. 32,768 colors simultaneously displayable, Special effects features (rotation/scaling, a blending, fade-in/fade-out, and mosaic), 4 image system modes

(I insist on iplayer has the ability to deal with it, because of high resolution video playing)

Audio interface port: 4 sounds (corresponding to CGB sounds) + 2 CPU direct sounds (PCM format)

(Due to iplayer audio formats MP3, WMA, FLAC, APE, and the maximum bit rate supporting, I think there is no problem)

According to the comparison, we should know the hardware interface meet the requirement, and DS buttons number is more than enough. First, I need to migrate video interface port, so that I could migrate PC keyboard control to DS D-pad control. Second, it would be the audio interface port migration. I’m going to put my hand to the migration work in the future days, and because of my job, I have little time to be utilized, such as weekend and the nights after off-duty. If I made any progress, I would tell you. Wish it would be smooth going.

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ...any chance you could share the SDK? Or do you think they'll go after you for that? It could open up new possibilities for homebrew if people could freely access the iPlayer. That is, if it's useful for anything but video decoding. Either way, if people could make homebrew for the iPlayer, chances are that the sales of it will skyrocket, so it's basically win-win.

3. Dizzy Doom

Newcomer Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

United States
    Quoting myself from the other thread...
    And adding a little more:
    Porting an emulator (like VBA) to another kind of CPU is really hard. Why? Because, for example, VBA is optimized for x86 processors. ARM and x86 are different enough for that to be a hassle.
    Anyway, there's no need for "emulation". NDS AM9 can actually run GBA code almost natively, because ARM is backwards compatible. It's just a matter of mapping diferent commands.
    The reason RAM is needed is because GBA games were on ROM (Read-Only memory) that where really fast latency-wise (like RAM). NO actual microSD storage device can match up that latency speed (how fast you can launch data from)
    If you tried to stream the data, the game would hang there, because flash media isn't fast enough.

The iPlayer would be useful if it had actual RAM on it. I doubt it has, and it if has, then yes, GBA emulation is posible.

4. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    Maybe you are right, but I have to keep it secret, what is a promise. Perhaps someday people could find their way to get SDK, but never from me.

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Haha this will go no where. Obviously the ram on the iplayer wouldn't work as a replacement for the real gba slot. possibly in dsi mode it will work but definitely not in ds mode (atleast not very well, trust me).

6. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    1. I prefer an emulator to natively running GBA on DS. Because it could realize more functions in an emulator, such as realtime save, cheat and etc. And so far, nintendo never release any GBA games downloading service on DS.
    2. I have mailed to official site many times, and I also asked for the parameter of iplayer in my mail. Fortunately they confirmed actually there is 32MB ram in iplayer.

7. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    You have little to no common sense. The DS isnt capable of emulating the GBA, trust me I've tried and it runs at least than 2fps at best. Cheats can be done with a hypervisor. realtime save never going to work. emulation just isnt going to work here. You need a proper hypervisor.

8. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    yeSSS yess finally someone who actually knows what they are taking about when it comes to GBA games emulated on DS I have seen a million posts all over the net talking nonsense, speculation, and ignorance on the subject but you sir Have summed it up beautifully I have always thought this was the way a GBA EMU would work even when I first entered the DS homebrew comunity.

and to the topics creator You say you would rather emulate GBA than Run natively so you can have cool features like save states well you would still be emulating some things its just the code can run on a ds without being emulated just manipulated a little then you have much processing power left for tasks like save states. Though I question your Capacity to port a emu to the DS without knowing that code for x86 processors and ARM processors. Your legitimacy is in Question

9. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    well I think realtime save would work. I mean lots of GBA flashcards for DS support that on GBA hardware Normmatt (of course it is sketchy and wont always work) but you are correct about that other stuff.

10. unclesummer

Newcomer unclesummer Newbie

United States
    i think this's good idea, but it's impossble to use DS hardware, maybe use other way to support it.

11. liuruicloud

Newcomer liuruicloud Newbie

China
    interesting ideas, but hard to realize

12. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    dejavu already had this argument over at SCdev and your getting told the same things here!

13. H2fans

Newcomer H2fans Member

China
    wow
    then ur emulator will have those functions?

14. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    If there is possibility, I wont miss them

15. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    ...can you really program an emulator all by yourself though?

16. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    No, no, It's difficult I know. I'm going to migrate VBA to iplayer first, what I have mentioned in my post.

17. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Even that would be quite the task. Haha, I mean, it's not like my chances would be any higher, but still, you really have to be basically 100% sure in what you're doing to do something like that. 'cause we don't even know what the architecture of the iplayer is yet, really...but if there is, in fact, that RAM onboard, and it can be accessed by the DS sort of like slot-2 ram can be, then perhaps the processor on the iPlayer won't even have to be used.

Either way, though, I have no clue...you can do what you want, I guess. I'm curious to see what could possibly come of this.

18. unclesummer

Newcomer unclesummer Newbie

United States
    I wander your progress, or you just told tale?

19. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Maybe he works for the iPlayer production company and wants to stir up interest in the product?

[​IMG]

20. darkchen
    OP

Newcomer darkchen Member

Canada
    hey, man. what an imagination you have.