Hacking Put a chipped DVD drive in another wii

retroguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I could probably test this myself, but some of you will know the answer right away, which is easier for me.

I have a chipped Wii with some homebrew installed on it, including emulator Wads and a homebrew launcher. A friend of mine has a clean wii, but would like to have some emulators also. He doesn't want his wii chipped. Now, is it posibble for me to put my DVD drive in his wii, install some nice things (wads), and then put his own drive back in again. Will the wads work normal and will he be able to boot elfs from the SD. I think so, but I just want to be sure. I mean, he lives pretty far away from me and I want to be sure, so I don't make a trip for nothing.

jos7960

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe its better to get him a wii clip and chip?

QUOTE said:
WII-CLIP Features:
* Very easy to install. You just need to solder the chip to the 1:1 points. Then push it cover over the D2C chipset on the drive, plug and play, even don't need the extra wires for VCC and GND , 100% ZERO wires need!
* Very easy to disable the WII chip, just remove (pull out) the WII-CLIP from the WII motherboard, no need to unsolder anymore. This process will allow you return your WII to its stock configuration, can give back you one 100% original WII immediately.
* Next generation HIGH precision design, 100% working perfect and stable.
* Use the special IC encapsulation material, whole wii-clip working like a small radiator, without any overheating issue.

That way he'll be able to update emulators and put new wads on his wii whenever he wants. And when he's done, just remove the clip.

Edit:
doctormj said:
You don't need a chpped wii for homebrew....

Read the forums properly, such as homebrew guide with TP
How could i have overlooked that..
bow.gif

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jos7960 said:
Maybe its better to get him a wii clip and chip?

QUOTE said:
WII-CLIP Features:
* Very easy to install. You just need to solder the chip to the 1:1 points. Then push it cover over the D2C chipset on the drive, plug and play, even don't need the extra wires for VCC and GND , 100% ZERO wires need!
* Very easy to disable the WII chip, just remove (pull out) the WII-CLIP from the WII motherboard, no need to unsolder anymore. This process will allow you return your WII to its stock configuration, can give back you one 100% original WII immediately.
* Next generation HIGH precision design, 100% working perfect and stable.
* Use the special IC encapsulation material, whole wii-clip working like a small radiator, without any overheating issue.

That way he'll be able to update emulators and put new wads on his wii whenever he wants. And when he's done, just remove the clip.

Thats more trouble than its worth and it would cost...
Plus the Wii-Clips arnt always the best things in the world(bought a few and a few wouldnt fit)

As for swapping drives yeah you can...Just install the homebrew channel via Zelda(if you dont have a DVDRs) or the Install Disc.
Than swap back and from there he can install WADs and run homebrew.
The Wii can also work fine without a DVD drive.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree w/ doctormj. Don't fanny about with modchips, drives, taking things apart, DVDRs, etc....all you need is a copy of Zelda:TP (worth buying anyway, it's a decent game) and a SD card. Doesn't get much easier than that.

retroguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies.

The wii Clip is a No go for me. I tried it once and they really suck (is my opinion). Of course I know about the Twilight Hack, but unfortunately I lost my original game, and now only have a backup, which is useless for my friend. But I agree the Zelda hack would be the right way to go for him. Not because I don't want to exchange drives etc., but because he will learn a thing or to, and he can read all the stuff he needs to know right on this forum. So I will tell him to buy a copy of Zelda.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end