Put a chipped DVD drive in another wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by retroguy, Jun 2, 2008.

Jun 2, 2008
  1. retroguy
    OP

Member retroguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I could probably test this myself, but some of you will know the answer right away, which is easier for me.

I have a chipped Wii with some homebrew installed on it, including emulator Wads and a homebrew launcher. A friend of mine has a clean wii, but would like to have some emulators also. He doesn't want his wii chipped. Now, is it posibble for me to put my DVD drive in his wii, install some nice things (wads), and then put his own drive back in again. Will the wads work normal and will he be able to boot elfs from the SD. I think so, but I just want to be sure. I mean, he lives pretty far away from me and I want to be sure, so I don't make a trip for nothing.

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Yes you can.

3. doctormj

Newcomer doctormj Member

United Kingdom
    You don't need a chpped wii for homebrew....

Read the forums properly, such as homebrew guide with TP

4. jos7960

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Maybe its better to get him a wii clip and chip?

That way he'll be able to update emulators and put new wads on his wii whenever he wants. And when he's done, just remove the clip.

Edit:
    How could i have overlooked that.. [​IMG]

5. darkhawk

Newcomer darkhawk Member

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Thats more trouble than its worth and it would cost...
    Plus the Wii-Clips arnt always the best things in the world(bought a few and a few wouldnt fit)

As for swapping drives yeah you can...Just install the homebrew channel via Zelda(if you dont have a DVDRs) or the Install Disc.
    Than swap back and from there he can install WADs and run homebrew.
    The Wii can also work fine without a DVD drive.

6. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I agree w/ doctormj. Don't fanny about with modchips, drives, taking things apart, DVDRs, etc....all you need is a copy of Zelda:TP (worth buying anyway, it's a decent game) and a SD card. Doesn't get much easier than that.

7. retroguy
    OP

Member retroguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies.

The wii Clip is a No go for me. I tried it once and they really suck (is my opinion). Of course I know about the Twilight Hack, but unfortunately I lost my original game, and now only have a backup, which is useless for my friend. But I agree the Zelda hack would be the right way to go for him. Not because I don't want to exchange drives etc., but because he will learn a thing or to, and he can read all the stuff he needs to know right on this forum. So I will tell him to buy a copy of Zelda.

8. PKGINGO

Member PKGINGO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You have no video rental stores?