Hardware Purposed 3DS HD model - what would you pay?

How much

• No Thanks, I don't see the benifit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No more then the DS

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $300

• $400

• Total voters

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my last post I went into why I thought the 3D would be considered a failure in the 3DS. I proposed that in order for the 3D to work on the 3DS we would need 720p and at least a 5 inch screen.

This got me to thinking. Nintendo usually has 4 or 5 different versions of their handhelds per generation. I purpose that for the 3DS, they create a 3DS HD alternative. The 3DS alternative would have 720p and I purpose a 6 inch screen.

Now, I am sure many of you will say, you can't do that. The game developers would have to develope games for 2 systems instead of one, or lose profit. Here are my answers for that:
1- They can create games for the 3DS resolution, and the 3DS HD would upscale them to 720p
2- Currently I cannot play DSi games on my DS if the game uses any of the DSi features

Just think of the benifits:
1- Some game developers would develope in 720p
2- The 3D effect on a 6 inch screen would be equivalent to the 3D effect on a 86" TV, so it will be a lot more encompassing
3- It would make it worth while to watch movies
4- It would make it worth while to watch movies in 3D

So the question is, what is the most you would be willing to pay for something like this if Nintendo would actually do this (which they won't).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still do not think features like watching movies 3D or not need to be in HD.

HD does not = fun

Not saying it couldn't help , but on a portable idk :/

I guess if they release HD portable, I be like O.O AWESOme!11!111

I pick No Thanks, I don't see the benifit tho. :/

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Again you have not seen the 3ds
on the 3ds the screen resolution is interpreted and displayed differently than a standard tv because there are 96000px for each eye on a 3.5inch screen thats around 132.15 PPI per eye. To put that in perspective a 480p tv is 21per inch on a 42 inch screen, or 1080p/1080i on a 42" screen 52 PPI, a psp 4.3" 480×272 128Ppi
Then the factor of each eye all of the other displays listed above only account for one image for both eyes the 3DS has different images per eye meaning more detail perceived when in 3d rather than a 2d display so in 3d its more like 236.61 PPI

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alucard77 said:

In my last post I went into why I thought the 3D would be considered a failure in the 3DS. I purposed that in order for the 3D to work on the 3DS we would need 720p and at least a 5 inch screen.

This got me to thinking. Nintendo usually has 4 or 5 different versions of their handhelds per generation. I purpose that for the 3DS, they create a 3DS HD alternative. The 3DS alternative would have 720p and I purpose a 6 inch screen.

Now, I am sure many of you will say, you can't do that. The game developers would have to develope games for 2 systems instead of one, or lose profit. Here are my answers for that:
1- They can create games for the 3DS resolution, and the 3DS HD would upscale them to 720p
2- Currently I cannot play DSi games on my DS if the game uses any of the DSi features

Just think of the benifits:
1- Some game developers would develope in 720p
2- The 3D effect on a 6 inch screen would be equivalent to the 3D effect on a 86" TV, so it will be a lot more encompassing
3- It would make it worth while to watch movies
4- It would make it worth while to watch movies in 3D

So the question is, what is the most you would be willing to pay for something like this if Nintendo would actually do this (which they won't).

I'm sorry but that is actually quite hard to read.
You use the word "purpose" way too much and somtimes it looks very out of place
[title:Purpose]
QUOTE said:
Purpose is a result, end, aim, or goal of an action intentionally undertaken[1], or of an object being brought into use or existence, whether or not the purpose was a primary or secondary effect. It is possible that an intentional act may have multiple purposes, only one of which is a primary intention while the remainder are secondary intentions. For example, the introduction of a gene into a species of rice may have the primary intention of providing resistance to disease and a secondary intention of reducing nutritional value. The diminished nutritional value, though perhaps regrettable, would be a secondary intention in that it is a known effect willingly accepted.
QUOTE said:
Yeah it seems very out of place.

QUOTE(alucard77 (EDITED))
In my last post I went into why I thought the 3D would be considered a failure in the 3DS. In my opinian, in order for the 3D to work on the 3DS we would need 720p and at least a 5 inch screen.

This got me to thinking. Nintendo usually has 4 or 5 different versions of their handhelds per generation. I guess the same will go for the 3DS.
My guess is they will create a 3DS HD alternative. The 3DS alternative would have 720p and I suppose a 6 inch screen would fit nicely.

I'm sorry to be picky but for me your original text was quite difficult to read. This is my guess on what you are trying to say.

In response to that, personally I don't think Nintendo will touch anything HD on a handheld before bringing it to a household console, especially with something that uses 3D technology aswell.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ignoring the fact that the autostereoscopy wouldn't work properly on a 6" screen, let's see...

- 6" 2560x720 (1280x720 per eye) top screen (f#!@ that's a lot of pixels)
- 6" 1280x720 multitouch lower screen
- 3x 0.9 Megapixel cameras (to match the new screen resolution)
- CPU exponentially more powerful than whatever is currently in the 3DS, with the power to drive not just 1 HD display, but two
- GPU exponentially more powerful than whatever is currently in the 3DS, with the power to drive not just 1 HD display, but two
- some type of god-battery that allows all this shit to somehow operate for 12-15 hours

I think that'd be more expensive than any of us would want to think about. There's also no benefit, so no thanks.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I would get out of a 3DS with a processor and GPU fast enough to generate 3D graphics in HD would be to watch movies on the go. And if I had 3D HD video on the go I would want HD 7.1 sound as well or the whole experience would be dumbed down by just having a set of headphones or the 2 speakers in the console itself. So until the day comes that we can have our own personal home theatre for $200-$300 I don't see the point of a HD handheld, let alone a 3D HD handheld.

For handheld games, I was happy with DS and PSP. When I saw what the 3DS could do alone it blew my mind. 3D or no 3D.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really think that the touch screen would need to be changed. From what I saw the bottom screen is not 3D. So if most of the 3D action happens on the top screen, I would be fine.

Definately need the better camera. I am pretty excited about 3D pictures. It could be pretty cool.

The CPU and GPU would have to be stronger, hence the extra charge. But, if you leave the touch screen alone, you won't have to drive 2 screens.

But thats the point of this. If they can do this, and it cost $399, would you be willing to pay that?

specht said:
All I would get out of a 3DS with a processor and GPU fast enough to generate 3D graphics in HD would be to watch movies on the go. And if I had 3D HD video on the go I would want HD 7.1 sound as well or the whole experience would be dumbed down by just having a set of headphones or the 2 speakers in the console itself. So until the day comes that we can have our own personal home theatre for $200-$300 I don't see the point of a HD handheld, let alone a 3D HD handheld.

For handheld games, I was happy with DS and PSP. When I saw what the 3DS could do alone it blew my mind. 3D or no 3D.

I think you guys get where I am going with this. I commute 4 hours a day, so a Home Theater on the go with 3D would be super sweet.

BTW, check these out:

7.1 Headset

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
alucard77 said:
I purposed that in order for the 3D to work on the 3DS we would need 720p and at least a 5 inch screen.
...in your opinion. I'll admit, there was a lot of math there, but your initial premise is that a 720 lines resolution is somehow required for a "working" 3D effect, when the fact feasible 3D technology appeared at the same time as such screens is a complete coincidence, so the whole math was just building on two completely unrelated facts.

Now if we get picky and technical, the limit where 3D starts "working" is the pixel size a human eye can resolve; anything below that is (to a greater or lesser degree) too clunky and pixellated to really "work". And at 10 inches from your face that's 300 pixels per inch. A 6 inch screen with a 720 line resolution only has ~240 pixels per inch, so it's still not enough for "working" 3D.

Now, you may say 250 ppi is enough for you, well, 133 is enough for me. Neither are "real" 3D (even if one comes much closer than the other), and the rest is all a matter of personal perspective. It's entirely subjective, and only time will tell if enough people find the 3D satisfactory, but like I said in your other thread, I doubt Nintendo would let the amount of money that's at stake here hinge on a screen that isn't (subjectively) good enough for most people.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho,

I have no doubt that the 3D will work on the 3DS. I have no doubt that it will look great on the 3DS.

I am saying that 3D is supposed to engulf your range of vision. By doing this, things feel like they surround you.

I just question if a small 3.5 screen will be able to do this for you. I just doubt it will. To me, I think it will feel more like I am playing a shoe box diarama. then something that surrounds me.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Read the replies to his last thread, and you will see how multiple people have provided multiple reasons why his logic is flawed and his suggestions are impossible. Just get over it already, alucard.

We don't get where you're going with this. You thought wrong.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna,

I don't see where my logic is flawed. Maybe my communication is flawed. I think 3D in order to have to have an emcompassing effect needs to be done on a large scale. I don't see the flaw in that logic.

As for it being impossible, that is debatable. I would argue that doing 3D without glasses was considered impossible.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
alucard77 said:
I am saying that 3D is supposed to engulf your range of vision. By doing this, things feel like they surround you.
Why? That's only one aspect of 3D, and one that can only be achieved on a screen bigger than yourself; 6 inches wouldn't be able to do it either. Another aspect of 3D is being able to see 3D objects with actual depth. It will be like you're walking around an object, not like objects are flying around you. The effect won't be the same, but they're both "real" 3D. You may prefer one over the other, but they're both 3D.

QUOTE(alucard77 @ Jun 25 2010, 08:26 PM) I just question if a small 3.5 screen will be able to do this for you. I just doubt it will. To me, I think it will feel more like I am playing a shoe box diarama then something that surrounds me.
Again, that's the difference between a handheld console and a home theatre. Handhelds always had screens way smaller than a PC monitor or your TV, and there were always claims that you can't have good games on screens that don't loom over you and occupy your entire vision, because they would never be as immersive. Were they right? Let's face it, a GBA had a miniscule screen and a pathetic resolution but some games sucked you in better than some HD titles today. And even in games where you were fully aware you weren't part of the scene on the screen, nobody really complained about it.

And on the subject of TVs, how many people actually have a TV large enough to "surround" them? Only cinemas can really give you that feeling, and you're faulting the 3DS screen for not doing something most home TVs can't? Again, handheld console. Shoebox diorama. The bigger the screen the bigger the shoebox, until you make a screen large enough to contain a shoe large enough to house the old woman and her innumerable children, and that's when the scene really feels like it's surrounding you. But you need a really large TV.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
No thanks, needlessly powerful for a handheld machine, would have a detrimental effect on the quality of games produced for it, would drain battery life quicker than the original model, would possibly need to be bigger. Wouldn't pay anything extra for it at all.

Don't worry, Sony will come along with the unweildy, poorly thought out behemoth you desire in the next two years and it'll flop like the PSP.

There are some things which work well on IMAX, home cinema and home console. By trying to shoe-horn these into a handheld you just end up with a sub-standard version of your home experience. And who really wants that? Handhelds and handheld games need to be built from the ground up with the medium in mind.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BlueStar said:
it'll flop like the PSP.
...I wasn't aware that the PSP flopped. Last I checked, it sold over 60 million units.
mellow.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
BlueStar said:
it'll flop like the PSP.
...I wasn't aware that the PSP flopped. Last I checked, it sold over 60 million units.
mellow.gif

It's been nowhere near as popular as Sony hoped, I'm pretty sure that Sony themselves consider it a failure and are looking to how they can avoid a similar situation with their next handheld. It's close to being Sony's very own Virtual Boy.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that isn't fanboyism I don't know what is.

Does it really matter to you personally who sells more units? Does it make you feel like, ohh I root for Nintendo and they won. I am a winner?

I own all of the systems and know their strengths and weaknesses thoroughly. For a good 2+ years my PSP did not see one game. However, I easily watched 200+ movies on it in those 2+ years. Now the PSP is getting some good games for a change, so I am playing both games and movies on it.

My DS on the other hand played nothing but games since I first bought it. Unfortunately as of late, there aren't any good games worth playing. The difference between my DS and my PSP is that the PSP is great at playing movies. When there are no games for the DS, it just collects dust.

That is why I would love for the 3DS to be more movie friendly as well.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Around $250

Edit: Oh, and Alucard, maybe you don't realize this but from nintendo's standpoint if they sell more units then they win.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's fine. I don't mind if Nintendo wins. I don't mind is Sony wins. I would mind if we only had 1 choice. I wish Microsoft or Sega would release a handheld as well.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alucard77 said:
The CPU and GPU would have to be stronger, hence the extra charge. But, if you leave the touch screen alone, you won't have to drive 2 screens.blew my mind. 3D or no 3D.

The bottom screen is of no difference, all it's going to be used for is controls. The DS for example can only render 3D graphics on one screen at a time.

800x240 = 192000 pixels
2560x720 = 1843200 pixels = 9.6x the resolution of the 3DS.

Do you have a time machine so you can travel to the future so you can get hold of this magical graphics processor that renders pixels 9.6x faster than the 3DS while still giving atleast 10hours battery life?

Either that or the battery will be the size of a UPS.

I wish it rained gold, but it doesn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning