pure mp3 playback on GBA

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by FragMagnet, Apr 21, 2007.

Apr 21, 2007

pure mp3 playback on GBA by FragMagnet at 6:26 PM (1,329 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. FragMagnet
    OP

Newcomer FragMagnet Member

Malta
    I'm expecting there to be a negative response to this, but I'm wondering if there's any homebrew software for the GBA that allows me to play MP3's (note that I say MP3, I don't want to bother with converting my audio to some arbitrary format - Just a clean straight copy to my memory card and play straight like that).

Failing that, I'm wondering if anybody has succeeded in making the official GBA mp3 player rom to work on their flash cart, and if so, how?

If that last question is somehow breaking the rules, please let me know and i will quickly remove it. I'm at my wit's end at the moment, because I was basing the purchase of a second hand micro mainly on being able to use it as a smaller mp3 player than my DS :S

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1) No the GBA is too slow, some of the media players that do exist work pretty well though.

2) It uses some onboard decoders so unless your cart has such features (which no commercial has) then no.

3. FragMagnet
    OP

Malta
    That's no good. On that note, though, I'm wondering if there are any dedicated media players that are the same size as a regular GBA cartridge. It'd be kinda redundant to buy a micro, only to stick a cartridge into it that effectively doubles its size.

4. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    My suggestion:
    Unless you want to do things with that Micro and MP3 player hardware than play MP3s, you'd be better off getting an actual MP3 player. Cheaper, smaller, easier, and better sound quality.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yeah go with a proper Mp3 player, you can get a half gig one for £10 (dunno what that is in your currency) plus you will get a lot better sound out of it than the GBA, hell its not that great on DS.

6. FragMagnet
    OP

Malta
    Well, I was also looking into it as a light little console to stuff into my pocket when I want to be able to pass a few minutes on the train or bus and the DS Lite is a little too bulky for my pants or something [​IMG]

but yes, you both have very good points. Thanks for your help!