Pure Capsaicin

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Cablephish, Dec 15, 2008.

Dec 15, 2008

Pure Capsaicin by Cablephish at 1:52 AM (1,202 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Cablephish
    OP

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    So, I'm a really curious person, and I bet a lot of you people out there are too.

So, a while ago I randomly came across something on wikipedia i found out about, and it's called the Scoville Scale.
    This scale is the measurement of piquancy, so it's found in things like chili peppers.

Anyway, the highest possible thing on the Scoville Scale is pure capsaicin. I was wondering what it could do to you if you ingest it. I'm just so curious...

2. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well i believe Blairs 16 Million is pure capsaicin and well if you would eat it pure you would die very fast ...

Here in Germany its even forbidden to get to much hot souces and such because it can be used to kill XD

I once wanted to import two bottles of hot souce that had around 1 million scoville and the online shop sayed they could not ship that to germany in one package [​IMG]

well i got my hands on some Habanero which were the spiciest chili some time ago (now there are some new) and one of my friends even blanked out for some secs and they have only between 400k and 800k scoville.

Once saw a article about some guy that used Blairs 16 Million in some soup and he sayed he made like 10 Liter and used just one tiny piece and it wasn't really edible after that.

if this stuff would not be so expensive -.-
    http://www.sweatnspice.com/429-13.htm
    I want one of those 16 Million Reserve ...

P.S. its sayed that the human tongue can only notice a difference up to 1 Million scoville but well yeah ... i still want blairs XD

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yup, pure capsaicin will pretty much kill you. And it's even dangerous to open a bottle of it anywhere near an asthmatic person.

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well, I have read that even a few grains can turn tomato soup into something ridiculously hot. and that if you got anything near pure capsaicin in your eyes it would definitely blind you and quite probably kill you from shock/heart attack.

personally I found out about it when researching how to make pepper spray (its illegal to buy in the UK)

5. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    yeah dangerous stuff but still interesting [​IMG]

6. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    nothing is really that interesting if it isn't at least a little dangerous in some way, now is it? [​IMG]

7. Cablephish
    OP

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    This is great. I was curious what it was capable of. I was really wondering if it could kill people. Wow.

Yeah, I really like anything hot, hot wings, anything in hot sauce, but if my dad gets his hands on pure capsaicin, I might be in for some trouble...