Hacking Purchased brand new Vita 1002 model with 1.81 firmware, now what?

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Purchased brand new Vita 1002 model with 1.81 firmware, now what do I do with it?

There was (maybe still is) a stack of brand new older model PS Vita OLED being cleared out for about $100 US dollars. Look like about 15 or so units. I picked one up about 4 days ago.

I was thinking about taking it back cause I already have a Vita 3G version I got at launch. I just play bunch of about 20 games I own for it.

Before I do take it back I checked the firmware level and is running 1.81, is this any good if does it need to be updated to 3.18 to be useful?

I was thinking with this cheap brand new one would be good for hacks/mods?
Can I use a physical game cart to run exploits of do they all have to come from the store. If so how does anyone access the store on old firmware, cause I found simply won't let me. Don't really want to buy game from the store so physical game would be better if works?

Going to take this back in next 24 hours, hoping someone can convince me otherwise not to with its 1.81 firmware?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purchased brand new Vita 1002 model with 1.81 firmware, now what do I do with it?

There was (maybe still is) a stack of brand new older model PS Vita OLED being cleared out for about $100 US dollars. Look like about 15 or so units. I picked one up about 4 days ago.

I was thinking about taking it back cause I already have a Vita 3G version I got at launch. I just play bunch of about 20 games I own for it.

Before I do take it back I checked the firmware level and is running 1.81, is this any good if does it need to be updated to 3.18 to be useful?

I was thinking with this cheap brand new one would be good for hacks/mods?
Can I use a physical game cart to run exploits of do they all have to come from the store. If so how does anyone access the store on old firmware, cause I found simply won't let me. Don't really want to buy game from the store so physical game would be better if works?

Going to take this back in next 24 hours, hoping someone can convince me otherwise not to with its 1.81 firmware?
No need to take it back, just follow this guide and all should be fine.

http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/DEVICE_PSVITA.html

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

@pica200

Please send me a PM (by clicking on my avatar, then clicking "send PM") and we'll discuss how you can manually upgrade/update your Vita to be able to use the PSP and Vita hacks. :)

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@pica200

Please send me a PM (by clicking on my avatar, then clicking "send PM") and we'll discuss how you can manually upgrade/update your Vita to be able to use the PSP and Vita hacks. :)
After he does that i think he might need a ps3 to access the ps store to get a psp game to use.

Last edited by cvskid,

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks everyone for the info. I will be heading in to town to take a few various items back to the retail stores. I still have the Vita though at this stage. Looks pretty complex what need to be done to mod it with tutorial requirements. I cannot see any mention of possible physical games that I could use as exploits like other systems/platforms allow, as I am not really into the idea of messing around with the store, just want to keep the Vita totally offline.

Newest game I have is Boardlands 2 which I looked up to be firmware level 3.12, if that is any good?
Still uncertain if any of the 20 or so physical games I have are any good to be used as exploits, or if it is just digital downloads only?

I have preemptive downloaded firmware version 3.15 and 3.18

D

Deleted User

Thanks everyone for the info. I will be heading in to town to take a few various items back to the retail stores. I still have the Vita though at this stage. Looks pretty complex what need to be done to mod it with tutorial requirements. I cannot see any mention of possible physical games that I could use as exploits like other systems/platforms allow, as I am not really into the idea of messing around with the store, just want to keep the Vita totally offline.

Newest game I have is Boardlands 2 which I looked up to be firmware level 3.12, if that is any good?
Still uncertain if any of the 20 or so physical games I have are any good to be used as exploits, or if it is just digital downloads only?

I have preemptive downloaded firmware version 3.15 and 3.18
If that Vita isn't activated and you have no PSP games or PSP Minis, then you're pretty much screwed / limited to what you can do. Being a professional, I would Update to the latest firmware (3.55) and purchase Mimina Lyar Chronicles from the PS Store (That's if you're using a US or JP console). It's $9.99 from what I'm hearing, and it is currently the only PSP exploit game for 3.55 (the latest FW), and that exploit installs a TN-V bubble to your Home Screen, so you can access PSP ISOs.

On the other hand though, if you do have any PSP games on your Vita (which I highly doubt) you should definitely check Hackinformer for complete tutorials on how to get the VHBL, ARK-2 and TN-V bubbles up and running on your Home Screen.

I bet you're dying to ask so many questions, but fortunately, I can, and will, happily answer all of them! :)

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If that Vita isn't activated and you have no PSP games or PSP Minis, then you're pretty much screwed / limited to what you can do. Being a professional, I would Update to the latest firmware (3.55) and purchase Mimina Lyar Chronicles from the PS Store (That's if you're using a US or JP console). It's $9.99 from what I'm hearing, and it is currently the only PSP exploit game for 3.55 (the latest FW), and that exploit installs a TN-V bubble to your Home Screen, so you can access PSP ISOs.

On the other hand though, if you do have any PSP games on your Vita (which I highly doubt) you should definitely check Hackinformer for complete tutorials on how to get the VHBL, ARK-2 and TN-V bubbles up and running on your Home Screen.

I bet you're dying to ask so many questions, but fortunately, I can, and will, happily answer all of them! :)

The Vita is brand new (as in was unopened) although I opened yesterday. As in activated, then I think likely not? All I did was take out of the box, set the data and time top get to the home screen to open settings and check the firmware. I did put in a memory card, and put in old game Uncharted to test if unit is working ok with it's buttons. There are not any PSP game on it at all.

Console I am using is likely EU for the store as I am in Australia and New Zealand region. I have a couple of PSP game on my account by not on this Vita, although think is just old GTA games. Far as I know, ever time I tried to access the store, I cannot go in without firmware update to get any games I have already purchased.

Looking like this Vita might be useless, could be better to factory restore and return to the shop for a refund?

D

Deleted User

The Vita is brand new (as in was unopened) although I opened yesterday. As in activated, then I think likely not? All I did was take out of the box, set the data and time top get to the home screen to open settings and check the firmware. I did put in a memory card, and put in old game Uncharted to test if unit is working ok with it's buttons. There are not any PSP game on it at all.

Console I am using is likely EU for the store as I am in Australia and New Zealand region. I have a couple of PSP game on my account by not on this Vita, although think is just old GTA games. Far as I know, ever time I tried to access the store, I cannot go in without firmware update to get any games I have already purchased.

Looking like this Vita might be useless, could be better to factory restore and return to the shop for a refund?
I don't know what the shop's policy is on returns, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a reason for the return? I don't think they'd take it off of your hands unless it's damaged in any way.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I already called the store, they said they will refund. I bet the store sold out, if not almost sold out of the Vita's as they are half the retail price, they wont last long, store will have no troubles reselling it. I did mention (and I did actually thought) that I already had a 1002 unit and though I was buying the 2000 model that was the only one on display. I picked mine up off a clearance table thinking was the 2000 model, but wasnt paying attention to much as the was other deals in the entire store, I have a arm full of stuff.

I grabbed 3.18 firmware from here http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Sony PS Vita Firmware

This is what I need to update to right. Which I can force though USB connection on a PC yeah?

If I can manually get to 3.18, then is there anything I can do, even if not activated or used in anyway?

btw. I have been reading the guides and searching around, but the amount of info is overwhelming and hard to follow, I cant really be sure.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst case scenario is you just end up keeping the ps vita for ps vita related games and find a cheap psp for psp related games since that is easier to set up.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I sold my PS3 awhile ago, didn't use it at all, don't want another one. I upgraded to PS4 though and have one of those now instead.

I have a PSP3000 and PSP GO

Already own a Vita 1002 model with 3G, which I have a bunch of games for.

The purchased clearance Vita 1002 is WiFi model only current on stock 1.81

Getting the idea new Vita with old firmware is useless, if not already been in use beforehand.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Never mind I told it back, mod the vita seems of little point. It just inst and looks like may never will be at a decent modifiable stage. The only advantage I can see it playing PSP on OLED screen. The fact cannot exploit with physical games and cannot run anything native in vita kernel mode seems pointless. To long to wait for some if anything to come along buying anything new now. World wide sale of vita is only 4 million, which is very small on the surface.

Only reason why I got it in the first place was I though I was picking up the newer model, I wasnt aware that the old one could be still purchased brand new. The only reason I considered keeping it was for any chance of mods. There was a few 16GB cards for about $8 US dollars.

Anyhow there is a stack of these brand vita still sitting there on clearance, the lot of them being firmware 1.81

Says $149 the price converted into US dollars is exactly $100

Vita.jpg

Last edited by pica200,

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
To verify the above photo, all those brand new PS Vita 1002 models that are on firmware 1.81 are useless because they have never been used, is that correct?
As in since none of them have ever been activated, they cannot be used for mods without upgrading the firmware to the most recent? If they can manually be updated to 3.18 firmware, then cannot download any games for the system not being activated?
Activated means the system is tied to a playstation account?

Seems such a waste to leave all those brand OLED vita's sitting in the clearance bin

Last edited by pica200,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs