Hacking Punetwiin then Bootmii as IOS Restore

vinzanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Punetwiin then Bootmii as IOS Restore

Okay need some sort of advise here. I HAD 2 Wiis, 1 is a USA Model with bootmii as boot2 and a Korean Model with bootmii as IOS. I have nand dumps of both (Bootmii). The USA Wii fell down from the top of the table head-on, which damaged the power, sync, reset and eject switches rendering it useless. I have a lot of Miis there and also saved data so I was wondering if I could use Punetwiin to copy contents of my USA Nand to my Korean (Region converted to US) Nand?

-Will the "Korean key" not be a factor?
-Will I even be able to restore a NAND when the Wii only has it at IOS? Why does all the write-ups I read discourage restoring when Bootmii is installed as IOS? If my Nand backup is fine this will not brick it through this method right?

The main reason for this is because I don't want to transfer the saves manually and the Miis (if transferred via wiimote) will not be editable anymore.

Is this a viable option or is the risk higher than the gain?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can do it, the korean key is no issue. But bootmii ios restore is risky. Be sure to check the nand.bin with nandbincheck before restore. You need gc controller and do konomi code to make it go. It really would be best to extract the data from nand.bin and manually restore, but if you like you can use punetwiin, but with bootmii ios you need to be at terms with the brick potential.

vinzanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that maui. What I would like to ask if if there is another way to transfer Miis that can be editable and not show that it came from another Wii? The saves can be recovered by SaveGame Manager but the Miis are what's important. Also based on your reply as long as the nand that I will restore is not corrupt (working version) whether I use Bootmii as boot2 or IOS is not an issue right? I always read that Bootmii as IOS can backup but not restore (which I think is not true). So what exactly is the "risk" other that a power failure during restore?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should be able to extract the mii database from your old nand and copy it to your new wii without risking a brick. that will give you all your old miis, but you wont be able to edit them. i think you can open up your new and old wii and swap the wifi card and then your new wii should use your old mac address, and you should be able to edit all your miis on the new console. IIRC, the wifi card is beside the sd card slot on the top of the main board. you need to remove the dvd drive and it should be right there.

if you are not comfortable doing that, or if you do and for some reason it doesnt work, you can give commandeermii a shot.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Enter the following using the Gamecube Controller, when asked within BootMii's Restore Function:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right B & A.

What is commandeermii, that you speak of?

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
commandeermii edits the mac address of miis downloaded from another wii or the check mii out channel and makes them editable on your wii

its works great too
heres a link pune posted about 2 weeks back
http://www.mediafire.com/?cac1maxy9iruiah

Reactions: 1 person

vinzanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You sir pune never fail to impress me. I'll try this app and save me the trouble of restoring nand should it work. BTW, are you saying that even if I am able to restore the nand backup using bootmii, the miis would still not be editable due to the dependency on the MAC address of the WIFI card? Is transferring Miis thru wiimote and swapping the wifi card the easiest solution? I'll try that out. Thanks a lot giantpune, mauifrog and lwares87.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
commandeermii edits the mac address of miis downloaded from another wii or the check mii out channel and makes them editable on your wii

its works great too
heres a link pune posted about 2 weeks back
http://www.mediafire.com/?cac1maxy9iruiah
does it allow you to edit Miis within the app and be able to give them gold trousers?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, the wifi card is beside the sd card slot on the top of the main board. you need to remove the dvd drive and it should be right there.
This will probably be the only time in life that I will ever be able to correct you, but it is the bluetooth module that is right beside the SD card slot. The wifi module is on the right side of the motherboard. :P

Also, to the OP, you have to do more than just remove the DVD drive, you have to also remove all the black plastic shrouds and also the metal shield covering the motherboard. It is nearly a full tear down that needs to be done to get to the wifi module.

Reactions: 1 person

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country

vinzanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i went ahead and restored the merged nand made by punetwiin and after 15 minutes of praying that there won't be a power interruption, I rebooted the Wii. OMG! punetwiin works! The only thing I had to do was reinstall the homebrew channel because it gave me the scam screen. Thanks Pune!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs