Translation Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable Translation Project

Nouka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much for the translated scans, they look amazing!

Etteila: I think I solved the "cookies" mystery. It turns out "お菓子が食べられたら嬉しいなって" is just the name of the first segment on the bonus DVD where Madoka and Mami's VA play the game, eat a cake and talk about stuff.

Attachments

• bonusdvd menu.JPG
    bonusdvd menu.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by Nouka,

TsuMan9907

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dude you're amazing for continuing this project all by yourself, definitely looking forward to new patches, i think we all support and appreciate this effort you're doing, Happy holydays and stay safe! Btw is there a way to stay informed on future progress? social media or something?

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A New patch soon?
Yes.
Also can you post the guide book pages that has Charlotte would greatly appreciate it.
I will also post the entire guidebook as well, soon enough.
Dude you're amazing for continuing this project all by yourself, definitely looking forward to new patches, i think we all support and appreciate this effort you're doing, Happy holydays and stay safe! Btw is there a way to stay informed on future progress? social media or something?
Thank you very much. This project is what keeps me going during these times. I'll try to be safe and enjoy the holidays.
Erm... about future progress, I'd like to keep it all on this thread. To be frank: I don't use social media that much and I'm not a big fan of it/not great at it. Perhaps I could do more updates, for a change.

Katsudon96

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can't wait for this to be 100% completed. will take a long time, but i don't care. wish they would remake some of these older japanese games for the Switch or PS4/5 with english translations (even if it is just an Asia release)

Reactions: qhost and Carlitos

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I'd be interested in helping you translate the game if needed! :) you can find me @maa9_mark on Twitter,
or add me on Discord Maa9#6531 or just message me here!
Sounds great! I'll DM you when I have some time.

Okay, here's kind of a Christmas special.

Patch 2.4 is now live! Just download the patch below and follow the instructions enclosed to install it.
The game is playable in English up to the end of Day 9 (Day 10 not included), along with other minor fixes to prior translations. Below are just some screenshots to the game (including the themes you can install, for those playing the game on the PSP/PS Vita via Adrenaline.)
I also have a link to the Madoka Magica Portable Guidebook available as well (169 Pages in total!).
It covers ALL the bases to the game. All the possible routes to the game, the hidden Q-button dialogues, artwork, interviews and much more!
NOTE: Be aware that the pages aren't all properly sized, and it's only in Japanese. It's somewhat time consuming trying to get a single page translated and I've been very busy so I'm releasing it as is. It is still worthwhile to check it out, so please do so!

Patch Link: https://mega.nz/file/4pUGiLjI#QKZOBfdL7xowuJi-V96KRGeG0jWUODx4BHEvZlZN7Y8
Madoka Magica Portable Guidebook (JAPANESE ONLY): Link: https://mega.nz/file/JktUhLya#RaDCYSTYjW_3YpsjFWeKzx1sXMu77zWYouqEtcVoASg

Feel free to drop in any questions, comments, concerns about the patch or the guidebook. Happy holidays!

ULJS00430_00002.jpg2021-12-15-121356-182610.png2021-12-15-121422-775685.png2021-12-15-121504-567621.png

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy New Year, everyone! This is a "small" update on the project.
The great news is that I finally found a way to properly use the font encoder/decoder program and manipulate the font in the game to squeeze more letters and words per line into the dialogue boxes. It's been a big struggle trying to figure out how to do so since the beginning of this translation project. It involved looking at source code for the programs that decoded/encoded the font, asking for help in other websites, and a lot of trial and error.
Before, this was how it looked (with the regular font file installed):
ULJS00430_00004.jpg
This is how it looks after (modified font file):
ULJS00430_00008.jpg

If you noticed, the space between words have been reduced; some letters such as "r", "h", and "m" have had unnecessary, empty space removed; and certain punctuations marks, like the regular and Japanese quotation marks, have also had unnecessary, empty space removed.
ULJS00430_00009.jpg

The more exciting aspect of all of this is the ability to add more special characters to the font. I've added all the characters found on a Spanish keyboard. Below is a test screen that displays all of them.
The first line just shows how the accented "A" interacts with other punctuation marks.
The second line shows all the accented letters. They're not perfect (everything's "hand drawn" with letter and numbers), but it's a start.
ULJS00430_00010.jpg

The third line shows punctuation marks, with the two gradient blocks demonstrating how a 16 by 16 array is used to make the letters/characters. The array (below) is 16 by 16 and serves as the canvas for which characters are made. The Unicode number for " (quotation marks) is 0022. If it has a Unicode number, it can be shown in the game (even emojis might work!). The numbers range from 0-9, then A-F. 0 is blank space, while F is the darkest shade of black. The array below doesn't "look" like a quotation mark because it's not... I only substituted the lines with numbers and letters to show how each letter can add different levels of darkness to the characters.

gradiant array.png

The fourth line shows that more than the safe 34 characters can fit in a single line (thanks to the modifications made). It's possible that up to 41-44 characters could fit in that line (not just 39), and it is also possible that a fourth row could be utilized for adding dialogue. I haven't figured out how to remove unneeded space above and below the letters but I will find out if it's possible in the first place.
ULJS00430_00011.jpg

To wrap things up, I would like to say that this game can be translated into languages other than English. While I do have the Spanish characters added for the time being, I can add characters from other languages (Russian, Portuguese, etc.) as well. If there's someone out there that's interested in wanting to translate the game to other languages, please send me a message and I can give you all the tools you need to get started, while I can also help with adding the proper alphabets to the font file.
...But maybe not Chinese.. that's too many characters to add by hand... Seriously.

Vivianne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a site where we could download the game? Or could you upload your own personal ISO to a G Drive or somewhere. I can't find the game anywhere now.

Reactions: Carlitos

Misharid23

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I am a big fan of this anime. When I heard about this game I wanted to play it instantly. I am loving this translation, I really appreciate it. Please keep it up. You're my god. Also, I'm sorry that I can't do more than thank you, I don't know Japanese and not even English is my native language, (im using google translate, lol) I can only give you my best wishes. Lov ya.

Etteila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
(including the themes you can install, for those playing the game on the PSP/PS Vita via Adrenaline.)
Would it be possible to extract the icons from the themes? The PSP themes are the only place where Kriemhild Gretchen and Homulilly's kisses appear (the first and third on the top bar of the fourth image you posted). Right now on the wiki the only images of them are taken from a PSP screen with a camera, so it'd be nice to have higher-quality pictures.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...