1. Carlitos

OP Carlitos Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for letting me know that you got this from EmuParadise. I did not anticipate this issue, since, like MrPiva, I downloaded the copy of the ISO from CDRomance and assumed many others did.
    At the top of the my head, it looks like a font file issue, so it may not be that big of a hassle, but I'll look more into it.
    If you could, you can grab your copy from CDRomance. I downloaded it from there, and I can say that it's not malicious. Just don't click on the ads, I would say.

Here's the link:
    https://cdromance.com/psp/mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica-portable-jpn/

See my attached screenshot, if need be.
    Click on "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Portable (English Patched Beta 28-12-2016).zip" and it should download (don't worry about the "data-for-madoka" file, it's not highly necessary to make it playable).

Attached Files:

sadoku, Nouka and MrPiva like this.
  2. DeliciousDelibird787

Newcomer

United States
    It took a while to download but it worked, thanks!

Carlitos likes this.
  3. Coyote_Mao

Coyote_Mao Newbie
    Newcomer

Russia
    Literally signed up to thank you for your outstanding work so far! Also, I see that the issue with fonts has already been brought up and kinda feel the need to report that the patch doesn't exactly work as intended on certain versions of the game not downloaded from CDRomance (see screenshots below). Think it would be prudent to include a custom font file like TRADUKO did with their version.
    Madoka (1).png Madoka (2).png Madoka (3).png

Carlitos likes this.
  4. Carlitos

OP Carlitos Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you for the support. Yeah, I have verified that the font file inside the ISO file from CDRomance is the only one altered to support all English characters. The other copies from EmuParadise and possibly other websites are not taking the patch well because the font file has not been updated.
    I'll see if I can have my ISO file uploaded unto EmuParadise, CDRomance, and wherever there may be a copy of the game floating around.

For now, if you're willing to, you can download the updated font from here and follow the steps below.
    https://mega.nz/file/lg0yWI7b#FXxGUHeRb4uI5nRHld5iDW1zHaVn9aOwoXzON7joSIc

Doing it this way will save you time from downloading the entire ISO and applying the patch again, if you have already done so.
    If you'd prefer to download it again, ignore the steps below and just download the ISO from CDRomance via the link here:
    https://cdromance.com/psp/mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica-portable-english-patched/

Here's how to install the updated font file:

Attached Files:

Last edited by Carlitos, Jun 27, 2020
    sadoku, Coyote_Mao and Nouka like this.
  5. Nouka

Nouka Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Wow good job on completing Madoka's chapter and thanks again for your hard work Carlitos! I will play it in the next few days and will tell you if there is any issue.

Carlitos likes this.
  6. Coyote_Mao

Coyote_Mao Newbie
    Newcomer

Russia
    Splendid! That would be perfect, though I imagine some of them might not agree to do so until the translation is at least 50% done. This brings me to my next point - I've actually been working as an editor for a local video game publisher for the past 3 years. I don't know Japanese, but I did help translate software (with lots of literary text sometimes) from Chinese, Korean, and Turkish, without knowing any of those languages either. :) I also regularly assist with playtesting.
    If this sounds at all like I might be able to help in any way - definitely don't hesitate to let me know! At the very least I could help translate the parts of the game you've already completed into my own native tongue, as I know for a fact there are plenty of Russian Madoka fans who'd love to play this. ^_^

Carlitos likes this.
  7. Carlitos

OP Carlitos Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hmm well if CDRomance, for example, has allowed TradukoSoft to upload their ISO file as it was, then I should have no problem with them. However, you may be right in terms of uploading it to other websites. I'll keep that in mind.
    You have quite the background, I see. I won't find it necessary for you to know Japanese to translate the game, and I am NOT a complete expert, but I kinda have a hunch that this may be a different "experience" than from, say, translating from Chinese to English. I would still prefer to see how you work with the material, if anything. Shoot, I'm still learning basic Japanese lol.
    As far as translating THIS GAME into languages other than English, such as German or Russian, it's a whole different challenge on its own, not because of one's ability to use translating software, but because the game's font file is still a complete mystery to mess with. Even I'm still struggling to find out how to work with the damn thing. I'll explain this in my next post, which will kinda be a tutorial of sorts as to how to mess with the game.
    I appreciate the help, if anything.

sadoku and Coyote_Mao like this.
  8. Coyote_Mao

Coyote_Mao Newbie
    Newcomer

Russia
    I can read hiragana, but that probably won't help much beyond quickly recognizing character names (which are, luckily, rarely written in kanji when it comes to Madoka Magica).
    On a side note, I've gathered a few screenshots with errors and lines that can be improved (day 16 and onwards). I can compile these into a report and send it your way. Posting a dozen screenshots in the thread seems counter-intuitive though and I'm not sure at which point new accounts on here gain the ability to send direct messages, so-o-o... What's your stance on Google sheets? :unsure:

Last edited by Coyote_Mao, Jun 26, 2020
    Carlitos likes this.
  9. NicoBlogs

NicoBlogs CDRomance <3

United States
    Some years ago we had a popup. It was removed. That's about it.

Thanks for the patch.

Carlitos likes this.
  10. Carlitos

OP Carlitos Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Once again, thanks, NicoBlogs, for fixing the links to the pages as well.

I'll PM you.

Coyote_Mao likes this.
  11. Nouka

Nouka Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Hey, there we go I finished playing Madoka's chapter!

Spoiler ahead:
    Didn't expect the route to end the way it did but now I think I understand what they were going for with this game.
    The highlights probably were the new events that were not in the Anime, I tried to guess and choose them every time.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a single secret "Q button" outside of the scripted ones so I might have missed a lot of dialogues.

Here are a bunch of screenshot of what might be errors or bugs. I am far from being a qualified proofreader for this but I hope it can be useful:

Pic 1: I think instead of " already been purified" it's supposed to say something like "fully purified" because it only shows this message when the soul gem is back to maximum "purity".

Pic 2: I am not sure when this happen but the second sentence doesn't makes much sense.

Pic 3: This is the last line of dialogue before fighting Charlotte I think. Mami is talking but the text only shows the letter A

Pic 4: I think Hitomi is saying "What am I/are you doing here?" instead, need to check the full event again

Pic 5: Typo

Pic 6: This one I am not sure at all but I think Madoka is saying something like "it's running away!" instead but don't quote me on that. It's before they meet Kyouko.

Pic 7: Typo

Pic 8: Most of the text at the end result are buggy. Maybe you could type E.Energy if you need space.

Thanks again for the translation, it was a lot of fun, and good luck for the other chapters !

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      253.9 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      205.6 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      292.3 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      261 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      340.5 KB
      Views:
    • 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      File size:
      221.5 KB
      Views:
    • 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      204.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by Nouka, Jun 30, 2020
    Carlitos and Coyote_Mao like this.
  12. baitrod

baitrod Newbie
    Newcomer

Turkey
    Thank you so much for doing this dude you're awesome!

Carlitos likes this.
  13. Carlitos

OP Carlitos Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the feedback, it's super appreciated. I'm looking at all the pictures and I find them all to have something to fix, so they're worth looking into. Coyote_Mao is already working up these tables with me on what errors to fix, but your set of eyes also catches some things worth paying attention to.
    Note: By the way, there are exactly 8 QB Button sequences in this Chapter. If you played the first Chapter in its entirety, and play it again, the QB background will light up to let you know when to press the Square button. Of course, you still have to find the right day and route/character to find them. There are some interesting dialogues to read from them, hehe. I kinda don't want to spoil them just yet, to be honest.

I expect to have these fixes, along with other minor, but numerous revisions to be implemented in the next patch.
    As for the next patch, it'll consist of having a portion of Mami's chapter done. To what extent? I'm not sure yet. I expect a couple of months, at best, before something like this to come to the limelight.
    I appreciate all the support from everyone, as always, whether you actively post here and add feedback and praises, or are just visiting the site to get the patch and play the game. It all helps, no matter what.

Nouka, MrPiva and Coyote_Mao like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Translation, Portable, Project