PSX on PSP - What happened to just using ISOs?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by hyuganet, Oct 29, 2008.

1. hyuganet
    OP

hyuganet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    I apologize in advance if this has already been touched upon elsewhere. I've been searching around for awhile now and have come up with nothing.

I remember a couple years ago it was possible to just dump an ISO of a PSX game into the ISO folder on the memory stick. This was an alternative to making an eboot. I'm guessing that Sony's patched that up since then so as to make eboots the only method, but can anyone confirm this? It'd be a lot nicer to be able to throw a compressed ISO into a folder rather than create a whole new eboot of much larger size.

I mean, I know I'm not crazy. This used to be possible. I just haven't seen anything since 2006.

2. Perseid

Perseid GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2007
    United States
    I'm pretty sure you're crazy, actually. I've never heard of that. The PS1 emulator format is quite different from an ISO.

3. knoxvillz

knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2008
    i also think your going crazy, I have never heard of just putting psx iso's straight on to the memory card before. i've been using psx games on my psp but i always had to convert them to eboots before i could play them.

4. hyuganet
    OP

hyuganet Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Hmm. I'm willing to begin thinking I may have been crazy all along. Certainly would explain a lot (namely the not finding anything part). Drat.

Really don't like having 500MB eboots that would be a lot smaller as ISOs.

5. snesmaster40

snesmaster40 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2005
    Huh? That's strange eboots that I've seen are usually smaller than the ISOs

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Usually EBOOTs compressed with level 9 compression are a lot smaller than normal ISOs.

7. warmijwilfaain

warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

Sep 30, 2007
    Kent. lolol
    Yes, you are crazy.

8. ryuhosuke

ryuhosuke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2006
    Canada
    there are tutorials now if you dont own the game, but yea, they have been slowly vanishing as people probably do not play much psp games

9. quim69

quim69 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2008
    Netherlands Antilles
    Yep, eboots are far smaller than the iso 90% of the time.

10. War

War Take it easy~

Oct 26, 2007
    California
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never seen that before. The eboots are nice though! Not hard at all to make them, and you can make your own background, background music, video, etc.