Homebrew PSX emulator for the DSI XL?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
op i smh
who thinks a dsi would emulate psx

Look at a PS1/PSX game then look at a DS game, tell me which one looks graphically superior.

(What I mean is, I wouldn't think he's dumb to infer that)

It might be possible by using static binary translation but that only works well for things that don't use self modifying code. Both Starcraft and Diablo 1/2 have been emulated/converted to run on openpandora (and apparently rpi systems as well) that way.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might be possible by using static binary translation but that only works well for things that don't use self modifying code. Both Starcraft and Diablo 1/2 have been emulated/converted to run on openpandora (and apparently rpi systems as well) that way.
isnt openpandora powerful enough to play there game native?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
isnt openpandora powerful enough to play there game native?

Starcraft (and Diablo) are x86 only and can't be played natively on an ARM system like openpandora and CPU emulation, even with the fast userspace qemu emulator, would be way too slow. So they used an "emulation" technique where they disassembled the Starcraft/Diablo binary and then translated the x86 asm to ARM asm, then reassembled it. I think SM64pc did the same thing, taking the N64 MIPS code and then converting it to x64 code. There is also an xbox 360 to PC translator that does the same thing which is easier because the x360 security model doesn't allow self modifying code at all.

If I remember correctly with the openpandora conversions they had a performance hit of roughly 50% meaning you need a system twice as powerful as the original rather than at least 10x needed for dynarec based emulation. I would say a 133mhz ARM9 is at least twice as fast as the PS1.

Last edited by nl255,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)