PSX eboot games on Vita Slim with FW 3.60?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by XC-3730C, Dec 2, 2016.

1. XC-3730C
    OP

XC-3730C GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2014
    United States
    How would I be able to play PSX eboot games on my Vita Slim with firmware 3.60 amd Henkaku?

I have a collection of eboot PSX games that run great on my PSP 3000, but wanted to run them on the Vita.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    At the moment this isn't possible. The only PSP mode exploit for 3.60 right now is Adrenaline, which doesn't support PSX games as of yet.

You can, however, use Retroarch to emulate the PS1 games instead. Most should work fine, and they also won't look like ass since they're being rendered at the Vita's Native resolution instead of being upscaled from the PSPs resolution.

3. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Doesnt retroarch also run psx eboots? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere...

4. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Yes all my pSX games are EBOOTS

5. Cortexfou

Cortexfou GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    Do you think that one day we can use the psx emulator of the vita and inject our games like the EBOOT psp ?

6. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Limbo
    We don't have to. Just wait for adrenaline to support eboots, then you just have to drop the eboot in the folder and it will work.

7. XC-3730C
    OP

May 10, 2014
    United States
    You can't play eboots using VBHL?

Last edited by XC-3730C, Dec 2, 2016
  8. Voxel

Voxel u wot

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Not PSX EBOOTs, no. VHBL is limited to PSP homebrew EBOOTs only.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    VHBL can't run PS1 games because it's strictly a userland exploit, enabling only PSP homebrew. In order to access the PSX emulator we require a full PSP mode kernel exploit, which is what Adrenaline is. But, as I mentioned, PS1 access isn't available at the moment in Adrenaline. TheFloW is working on it and said an update is most likely going to be in February.

10. XC-3730C
    OP

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Ok, thanks guys for the replies. Can VBHL run PSP ISO's?

I will use retroarch for now. Luckily I have separate eboot and bin/cue collections.
    I just wish there was a way to only display .cue files, and save the directory where the bin/cue files are, as well as use the analog stick in lieu of the D-pad.

Also, is there any advantage to using a BIOS file?

11. Ganoncrotch

Ganoncrotch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    I'm almost certain that you can just use eboot file psone games with retroarch psone emulator mate, you should give it a try.

I'm 99% sure that my psone games are eboots, would have to check though, but just give it a try and see.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Again, VHBL is a userland exploit, it only allows PSP homebrew and nothing else. PSP ISOs also require a kernel exploit, which again Adrenaline is.

As for Retroarch directories and things, yeah it's a little bit buggy and annoying but it's the best we've got at the moment.

And games will have better compatibility with an official BIOS image, yeah.

13. Ganoncrotch

Oct 21, 2016
    Just checked there to make sure, but yeah my version of street fighter EX+Alpha was an eboot that I had used with the pspgo
    [​IMG]

Works a charm using the retroarch psone core

[​IMG]

14. XC-3730C
    OP

May 10, 2014
    United States
    @Ganonctotch,

That's good to know that eboots seem to work! Do they work as good as a bin/cue?

How would I configure the left analog to work as a d-pad, or a mode button to switch between the two?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

15. Ganoncrotch

Oct 21, 2016
    The quick menu has a controls option if you press Start, select, L and R together you'll see it, in the controls option the second option down should be to assign the dpad to something else, one change of the second option will change it to "left stick" which is what you want. I find the psone emulation to be quite good, but obviously not as perfect as the native emu we get on games which are available from psn directly. I can't say I notice a difference between bin/cue files and eboots, I have Tekken 3 as those and EX+Alpha as a eboot and both are rather functional but need a slight amount of frameskip I find to stabilize them in action.

16. XC-3730C
    OP

May 10, 2014
    United States
    How could I save my input config and not have to keep manually pointing to my games directory?

I am willing to use retroarch until Adrenaline supports eboots. I hope when it is here, we can be able to see the icon/background, and easy disc swapping like on PSP.

*edit*

Eboots seem to work great (I have tried One, Crash Team Racing, and Legend of Mana), and I like how it is only 1 file per game.