PSX (Chip NTSC Games in PAL Region)

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by TerryHomes, Nov 26, 2014.

1. TerryHomes
    OP

TerryHomes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    I want to know if its possible with a PSX (which has a Chip inside) to play beside PAL Games in Pal region NTSC Games (Isos). Furthermore it would be really nice if someone can tell me if a ps2 can play burned psx games via chrystal chip (Pal and NTSC).

thx!

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    PSX with modchip can play any region burned discs and/or other region retail disc. You might want a proper RGB cable to output games in color, or you will get only Black&White picture.
    PS2 with modchip usually can play PS1 burned disc and/or other region retail disc by pressing Power button two times (power ON, eject, insert PS1 disc, press power X2). (try few times, the speed for double-press is a little hard to find)

Some modchip are maybe not compatible.
    I don't know about crystal modchip, official website seems dead.

I guess the easiest and fastest method is : Just try ?

3. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    Thx! The Problem is i dont have any of the consoles yet and i justw ant to play PS1 games. I just bought some hours before a PSX (the fat one). Hopefully it will be like you said, that it can play all region games. Just to name few legendary games that didnt launch in PAL regions: chrono cross, xenogears, legend of mana,...

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    They didn't launch? or you mean they weren't sold in europe?

They will work fine.
    The only issue you can have is that some modchips don't check disc swapping. They can launch games but you can't insert disc2 while in game.
    You can have issue with Chrono cross and Parasite Eve when it asks to insert disc 2, because it doesn't ask you to save your progress before swapping disc.
    To know if your modchip is compatible with disc swapping, start with Disc2 and select New game. It will tell you to insert Disc1, if the game starts after you swap to disc1 then you have a good modchip :)

just remember you will need a proper RGB scart-cable (not a RCA adapter or a cheap scart-cable).

5. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    They didnt even launch in Europe.

The Problem is i bought the PSX from Ebay, so it schould take some time til i can feel the psx in my hands and test everything. :D

What is with the other Games beside of Chrono Cross for example FFVII. Will there be Problems to swap discs ?

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    All final fantasy let you save before swap point.

I think there are 3 or 4 games which don't let you save before swap:
    Chrono Cross
    Parasite Eve
    Metal Gear Solid (I don't remember)
    Valkyrie Profile (not sure. I never played it)

I don't remember other games with swap issue.

BAHIM Z 360 likes this.
  7. BAHIM Z 360

BAHIM Z 360 B-but I'm not a new member :(

Nov 9, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Teh Amala Labyrinth
    Lunar 1 and Lunar 2 don't let you save before swapping discs too.

Cyan likes this.
  8. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Unless you have a tv that can handle ntsc signals, your going to have color and other video issues while playing ntsc games on the psx.

There is a free loader you can download and burn to a cd called "import game player" that will allow you to force the game to output a pal signal and in most cases it works. Just keep in mind that you'll have to swap with it everytime you boot an ntsc game (and change the video setting in the loader menu.

As for the ps2 with the crystal chip, pal psx games should boot directly (like on the psx), but unless that chip forces the correct video output using hardware (im not sure if it does or not) you will need to use the import game player for ntsc games as well

9. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    hmm ok thx guys! But iust one last question: Are you guys sure that some Modchips inside the PSX (fatPS1) don't check disc swapping? I really cant find anything related to this topic with google. It only shows problems with the psx emulator for pc.. And what is the chance that i would get the bad modchip inside my psx ?

10. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Disc swapping on the ps1 shouldnt be an issue.

Some of the first ps2 modchips had issues with this due to the way they functioned (stealth eject or just really stupid patching...

You should be fine with tge crystal chip in your ps2 and with w/e chip is in the psx.

The seller most likely installed the latest stealth chip made for the psx/psone.

The seller most likely has his/her own pic programmer, so they paid a couple bucks (at most) for the blank chip and flashed it with the last stealth code that came out.

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You didn't tell which modchip you had.
    The first modchip work with discs swapping, but some games added anti-copy check so last produced modchip added a stealth mode which trigger the modchip only at launch. They didn't intentionally removed the swap feature, they changed the way the modchip worked : Only at boot time. after boot it's completely stealth and will not trigger when disc swapping is needed.

Not all modchip has issue with disc swapping, you will have to try. Maybe your modchip will work fine!
    Like I told you, you will have to test : start a Disc2 game and select New game. if you can swap to disc1 and the new game start then your modchip is compatible.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  12. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    I didnt even think of that lol

13. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    If you're getting the older PSX model(the fat one) then most modchips will allow you to play both PAL and NTSC originals and backups. However, if you're getting the newer PSOne model(the slim one) then you'll need to get a Onechip as MM3 doesn't support NTSC loading on it the last time I checked. It's an 8 wire chip but isn't that hard to solder. As for video problems. You can do a color correction mod that allows NTSC games to display in color on older PAL televisions. For PSOne units, you solder a wire between two points on the board.

14. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    I can test it in some days, because the guy sended the fat old one psx some days ago via mail. One last question: I just found out that some psx games are using a Mod protected Code. Is it possible to run them too with some Patches or something else ?

15. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    " Like I told you, you will have to test : start a Disc2 game and select New game. if you can swap to disc1 and the new game start then your modchip is compatible."

This Works! I just dont have the psx yet here, but it does 100% work (says the seller). Can somebody tell me now only if i can play protected games too now ?

16. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    It depends on the chip and PSX model. Some models don't have a point to solder to that is needed for stealth mode.

Yes, there are patches.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    For protected games, most of them used the subchannel to check the discs.

you can use patches or be sure to burn discs with sub-channels in RAW DAO 2352 mode2/XA.
    Not all burners were compatible with sub-channels, but it was 10 years ago. I guess now most of them can do it (more or less slowly).

You can't just burn .iso with subchannel option enaled, you need to dump the original disc with subchannel option (creating a .sub dump along with the ISO dump).
    Users used CloneCD for that purpose. Making .ccd and .sub files.
    Alcohol 120% is compatible with subchannels and correctly detect PSX ISO to set the correct settings.

18. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    For those who are not sure if a particular PS1 game uses LibCrypt (games that check sub-channels) or not, there is a list here,

http://redump.org/discs/system/psx/

Click on the game it'll tell you whether it uses LibCrypt or not.

Keep in mind that only CloneCD and Alcohol 120% can handle those games, Imgburn does not support sub-channel.

Cyan likes this.
  19. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I see people saying LibCrypt was only used in PAL games. Is that true?

For cross-platform burning there is also cdrdao (haven't used that since DC days).

20. TerryHomes
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011