Hacking PSWii Controller

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would recommend checking out these videos, this guy has managed to recreate Sony's Motion Controller using a wiimote, a wiimotion plus, a ir led, and a playstation eye. It's still in early stages but it's cool to see what he managed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv29VUZAuyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6essv72LqSU

UPDATE: Apperently this guy isn't the first one to do this. This doesn't surprize me as I have thoguht of doing it before but my lack of knowledge on Wiimote to PC connection has stopped me. What's more impressive is how it is pulled off in this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWUBKa7fGcY...feature=related

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
very nice concept.

i don't know if it's official or just a rumor but my information is that johnny lee is working on project natale for ms. is that correct?

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Screemer said:
very nice concept.

i don't know if it's official or just a rumor but my information is that johnny lee is working on project natale for ms. is that correct?

He said himself that he is, but that he did not play any major role in the version shown at E3 and that he is more working on making it house friendly and cost efficient.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh...I thought the point of the PS3 one was that it was controlled by the camera more than any kind of 'actual' motion control (I mean that the camera could detect where the wand was at rather than relying on gyros like the Wiimote/Motion Plus do).

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
9th_Sage said:
Huh...I thought the point of the PS3 one was that it was controlled by the camera more than any kind of 'actual' motion control (I mean that the camera could detect where the wand was at rather than relying on gyros like the Wiimote/Motion Plus do).

No, because the camera simply tracks where the ball on top of the wand is. It would be nearly impossible for it to track the whole controller since youll be hold part of it it would end up being too confusing. It uses to camera to track the position of the controller and gyros to tell it's rotation, exactly the same way it's done here.

Impakt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, that's awesome.

What I'd like to see is a hombrew app for the Wii that will let you use a PS3 controller. So instead of using a classic controller you could use a PS3 one. I know it will most likely be impossible.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the guy in the first 2 videos did a comment that he will change his software to work with normal webcams as well. you don't need the high framerate for basic testing.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
HaloBenish said:
9th_Sage said:

No, because the camera simply tracks where the ball on top of the wand is. It would be nearly impossible for it to track the whole controller since youll be hold part of it it would end up being too confusing. It uses to camera to track the position of the controller and gyros to tell it's rotation, exactly the same way it's done here.
Oh, right. Actually, that was a pretty dumb assumption on my part.
tongue.gif

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What'd be really interesting is to see if Nintendo could find some way to pull this off with a camera for sports/shooting games. Then we would have strafing/side movements registered based on how far the controller moves relative to starting point.

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo should beat sony to it, release a cheap $5 addon that contains no more than an IR led that snaps on and a firmware update to the wii adding webcam support.

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaloBenish said:
Nintendo should beat sony to it, release a cheap $5 addon that contains no more than an IR led that snaps on and a firmware update to the wii adding webcam support.

So they'd release a 20 dollar LED and IOS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @hazbeans, welcome