PSVita update 1.6 coming out this week (in Japan)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by masterchan777, Feb 6, 2012.

1. masterchan777
    OP

Member masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    PSVita firmware will be updated to version 1.6 on Wednesday February 8th . This update will include:

1- A new Map app, maps can be viewed with satellite imagery turned on and off. and users can also search for walking and driving directions, and view information about current location, and send points and locations to friends via group messenger App.

2- An updated Photo app adding the ability to take videos.

3- The Home button will now flash blue when the console is connected to power and when wake up from standby mode and blinks for a few seconds when going into sleep mode.

Sony is also planning to release a Mac OS version of its Content Management Assistant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source : http://www.eurogamer...japan-this-week

2. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source

3. rehevkor

Member rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I don'd understand why they stagger the releases of features like this.. didn't the 3DS do similar?

4. keran22

Newcomer keran22 Member

United States
    Sounds like they're really trying to make the device more attractive by adding smartphone-esque utilities. Obviously, i'm all for more features on a device, it can only help it sell better - but I wonder if a GPS is totally necessary? I'm unsure if there's anyone who'll use the GPS on this device that doesn't have a similarly capable smartphone already. What they need to do is introduce some utilities that can only work with multiple touchpads, or other unique Vita hardware features.

I don't think that this game console is going to do very well with the non-gamer market that Nintendo so successfully tapped into with their DS. So with that in mind, i'd rather that Sony keep the development focussed on things that will make it a more attractive games console than smartphone.

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Quite glad for video recording.

But I find GPS kinda unnecessary... I mean you have smartphones/true GPSes for that!

6. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Fixed that for you. Phones have had full GPS before smart phones took off.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's aiming for more of a core market/tech savvy market and not really the "non-gamers" that Nintendo sold their stuff to. It has some casual appeal but it definitely aims for the more "core" audience.

Also the GPS is only on 3G models and it could probably be used for social functions and hell, maybe even some games.

8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I'll really hate Sony if they made it compulsory for some of their awesome franchises.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I doubt it'll be a necessary feature since it's only on the 3G models, it'll probably just be additional features.

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Basically they rush the hardware out the door with basic functionality. Since the hardware takes a while to be finalised software lags behind and Sony wants a return on the R&D ASAP. The most recent, stable version of the firmware will be the release version then any other planned features will be released as developed. At least that's my theory.

11. masterchan777
    OP

Member masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  12. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    This is useless since many smartphones already have those. Silly Sony.

13. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The GPS may of not been necessary, I believe it was only included in the 3G model. I'm questioning why there is a 3G model, that seems unnecessary, although I do not know what it may be like in other parts of the world. The idea of adding GPS to the 3G model was a smart idea as it gave one of a few feature/reason (that I'm aware of) to own a 3G model.

I do see some usefulnes of a GPS Vita. Some people do talk and text message in while driving, which isn't a good thing. But it would be much easier to use than to toggle between apps. And 5" screen is bigger than most cellphone screen that I've seen people use. But tablets have been very popular, most has GPS, along with built in to cars, and many who absolutely need GPS would already have one.

14. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    So let me get this straight. New features = not needed? Imagine all the rage if the device had GPS and there was no Navigation services available.. Bah. This is all about a possibility to have something. Sure you can have GPS on your mobile phone, but then again there were navigation devices before mobile phones had GPS. So adding GPS on a smartphone was a bad move because there was something already available doing the same thing? /trolling

Good to see new features. Now if only Sony and Nintendo made their online networks add some homebrew possibilities..

15. junn

Member junn .

United States
    Firmware update 1.60 is now available.
    Content Manager Assistant for the pc has an update too.
    the new map app is kinda slow.