Hardware [PSTV] Can I use this without getting a DS3/4 (yet)?

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I just got a PSTV, but I don't have the money for a controller yet, and I'm asking if I have any way of setting it up and using it until I get one?

Code:
My USB controllers at home: (There's probably no way to get them work with this, but it's worth a try)
Xbox 360 Wired Controller
Some Plug & Play PC controller made by Aneex
Wii U Pro Controller

If none of these work, am I able to turn my Android phone into a Dualshock 3 with an app?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get a PS2 to PS3 adapter you can.
They specifically only allow devices that have the HID infos sort of like DS3 or DS4.
The great Hori FPS Plus controller also doesn't work, they want your money, don't waste it on a DS4.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, PSTV only support the ps3 and ps4 controllers offically. There are some generic usb controllers that apparently work (i'm sure there's a database out there somewhere).

-Just plug in your Aneex plug&play controller to see if it works (the mapping might be off). It'll either work or it won't.
-I think generic usb controllers have to have an equivalent of a "home" button to work? Not certain on that point though.
-You can get an adapter that convinces it any controller is a ps3, to get your 360 controller working for it.
-The wii u pro controller probably won't work.
-If you can convince it your android phone is a dualshock 3(that's possible?), that might work

Last edited by osaka35,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Okay, here are my results:
  • Xbox 360 Controller: The Player LEDs start flashing, then stop, and the console gives me this message in the top left corner: "(!) This device is not supported."
  • Wii U Pro Controller: The controller starts charging off of the console. Nothing else happens, even if I press the HOME or the Sync button.
  • Aneex Plug & Play Controller: Nothing happens at all. The controller doesn't even get power.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They specifically only allow devices that have the HID infos sort of like DS3 or DS4.
Is it possible to edit the HID info of a controller?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here are my results:
  • Xbox 360 Controller: The Player LEDs start flashing, then stop, and the console gives me this message in the top left corner: "(!) This device is not supported."
  • Wii U Pro Controller: The controller starts charging off of the console. Nothing else happens, even if I press the HOME or the Sync button.
  • Aneex Plug & Play Controller: Nothing happens at all. The controller doesn't even get power.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it possible to edit the HID info of a controller?
Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaTV/comments/4ft7c7/compatible_and_non_3rd_part_controller_list/

"A common question on this sub is where a particularly 3rd part controller (e.g. non Sony Dualshock 3/4) works with VitaTV. However, with many discussions about that you have to search the sub for find a bit of an answer to the question.

It seems that many non official controllers that works with PS3 are not-working on VitaTV due to more restrictive internal checks (also known as: you buy a less-than-50$ console and wanna also use cheap controllers? *censored*)

This aims to be a centralized list of supported-or-not controllers.

Working ones
Mayflash adapter

CronusMAX Plus adapter -- protocol set to PS3 -- even two on a USB hub

Titan One

STRIKE NX Wirer GamePad

Not working ones
bigben Wired Controller PS3 -- BB4334Blk PS3PAD -- Not passes Press Home screen

Logitech F310 -- US PSTV

ZD N Wired Controller

GameStop BB-Model wireless controllers -- lacks USB port

Mayflash Wireless Wii U Pro Controller to PC USB Adapter -- seems to work on PS3

Mad Catz Street Fighter V Fight Stick Alpha -- US PSTV, PS3/4 switches, works on PS3, it only receives power"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1