Hardware PSP2 to have no UMDs, Power of the Xbox 360 (Rumour)

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
PSPGo failed since it can't play UMDs. Are they going to do the stupid move again?

nah, GO failed because of
A.) lack of downloadable games
B.) inability to convert UMD games to digital copies
C.) cramped design

i would not have a problem with the GO if you could somehow obtain a digital copy of your already owned UMD's.

this just does not work in Sony's favor however, as it would be a very easy system to exploit. (pick up games at a garage sale for $5 and get a digital copy of it from Sony, thus costing them bandwidth, for no monetary gain)

but, starting with a whole new system, sony is free to structure things how they want, and figure something out that works.

digital copies of games is a great way to go, its just that the current way of doing things makes it only feasible for PC...

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Just in....design leaked...

space_invaders_toaster.jpg

That one got me.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
Rydian said:
But still what?

I'm pretty damn sure connections to the shop channel are encrypted.They'd better be. And WEP and WPA really doesn't matter when you're going to be connecting anywhere when you're on the go.So it's the same situation as doing ANY shopping online?
tongue.gif

QUOTE(themuddaload @ Oct 29 2010, 11:31 PM)
To clarify why this is so bad, many UMD games aren't available via PSN at all, and thus can't be played on the Go. So it's more expensive and can't even play all the games.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Also, ghz is not a way to measure power. That's just what the companies tell you to get you to buy them.
Don't you think I know that?

Tualatin!, I still have the 1.4Ghz 512KB which I use for JTAG'ing. One of the best Intel CPU's the've ever done. I'm so glad it got it's revenge.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It wouldn't surprise me if rumour was fed by someone at Sony. You have the 3DS due for release before the PSP2, and Sony are going to want to spoil that.

RedBaron

Trophies
XP
Country
I don’t remember where I heard this, it came from a Chine's source a few days ago confirmed that the SONY PSP2 has a UMD, that makes sense, if the PSP was never hacked there would be no pirated games so the UMD was 100% successfully at stopping clone games
I have never seen or heard of a clone UMD game or movie.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
themuddaload said:
C.) cramped design

i would not have a problem with the GO if you could somehow obtain a digital copy of your already owned UMD's.

this just does not work in Sony's favor however, as it would be a very easy system to exploit. (pick up games at a garage sale for $5 and get a digital copy of it from Sony, thus costing them bandwidth, for no monetary gain)

but, starting with a whole new system, sony is free to structure things how they want, and figure something out that works.

digital copies of games is a great way to go, its just that the current way of doing things makes it only feasible for PC...

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nutella said:
With a PSP2, retailers will refuse to sell it unless there is a system that allows them to sell PSP2 games.
PSN actually already supports an ideal system for that(which also would be a solution for those complaining about not getting LE's or game case to show)
i think sony never bothered with it though:
game tickets: instead of stores selling the game on a storage medium, stores could sell PSN code tickets for specific games in boxes with boxart and a manual (and perhaps even a memory card with an unactivated copy of the game data)
this would bring pricing choices back to the stores, and actually allow download-version buyers to get limited editions of games too.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
1GB of RAM.

Sounds comprehensible, but the question is: what type of RAM? People is criticizing Nintendo 3DS because Nintendo only put a shitty 64MB of memory, but they do not bear that RAM works 3 times faster than than devices as the iPhone. It is not for anything but in the world of the smartphones there is very capable GPUs that see his performance diminished to 25-40% by the fact of using a slow memory.

Power like x360

Maybe Sony's fanboys believe this, even they believe PSP is powerful like PS2 and more than GameCube. There's no will be smartphones with the power of 360 after 2015. The actuals smartphones have graphics cards of year 2000 (power like GeForce 3) + OpenGL 2.0.

HD screen

The guy who invented this rumor had no idea of what he talking about.

Use Memory Stick

Memory Stick sucks. Sony knows this.

Again, the guy who invented this rumors doesn't have idea.

A council for everyone: Don't talk about smoke. PSP2 is only smoke.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
nutella said:
With a PSP2, retailers will refuse to sell it unless there is a system that allows them to sell PSP2 games.
PSN actually already supports an ideal system for that(which also would be a solution for those complaining about not getting LE's or game case to show)
i think sony never bothered with it though:
game tickets: instead of stores selling the game on a storage medium, stores could sell PSN code tickets for specific games in boxes with boxart and a manual (and perhaps even a memory card with an unactivated copy of the game data)
this would bring pricing choices back to the stores, and actually allow download-version buyers to get limited editions of games too.
I guess that's the problem then. Down in Australia, I haven't seen a single thing like that. Three stores refused to sell the PSPGo because they had nothing in on it.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
they don't do it anywhere as far as i know, but they could if they wanted.
i was just saying, the way the PSN store is built it would be possible.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
If you can afford the upcoming PSP, surely you can afford the new optical fibre unlimited bandwidth with mirrored speeds internet connection?

EDIT: But i do think they need to start bringing out the full UMD library onto PS Store. Otherwise, a peripheral should be built to support UMD loading. What happened to the rumoured Logitech UMD Drive?
ohnoes.png
That is whats stopping me from buying a PSPgo.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
fgghjjkll said:
If you can afford the upcoming PSP, surely you can afford the new optical fibre unlimited bandwidth with mirrored speeds internet connection?

such services dnt exist globally - trust me.
i live in a city where fiber is available, but live on the wrong side... fiber optics require a totally different cable to be run into an area, which takes time and a lot of monies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse