Hardware PSP2 has a touch panel and is bigger.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.[/p]Finally.

Several sources have confirmed to Kotaku that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad. When Sony showed the PSP2, it did not provide concrete details regarding how the trackpad will be implemented in games and instead is leaving that to the discretion of game developers.[/p]Sounds like it could be used to aim in an FPS game? Move your finger along the back of the system and your aim on the screen changes as well. This can bring a new level of reflexes and stuff to FPS games without the usual "can't see through your hand" problem. It could be comfy or not depending on the shape of the system and such.

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".[/p]A larger screen sounds like they want to make it more media-oriented like current tablets and netbooks. Also as usual I call "bullshit" on the screen being High-Definition. They're most likely using "HD" as some other acronym, as High-Definition has a concrete term as defined by the US government of at least 1080x720.

A larger PSP should not be that big of an issue for Sony — especially in a mobile environment with large tablets like the iPad. It also shows that Sony realizes it is no longer simply competing with Nintendo, but also Apple.

It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.

In late September, there were also reports that the PSP2 hardware was in the hands of "numerous" developers.

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.

Sony set the PSP2's goals (what Sony wants it to do), but is still tinkering with the portable's innards. The PSP2's tech specs are expected to change, meaning that things like chip size and processor size are variable.

Sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011. Sony is not yet talking openly about the PSP2.[/p]

The image is a fan-made mockup. Just getting that out of the way now.
http://kotaku.com/5672410/psp2-will-be-big...tly-overheating

User-submitted news wouldn't care as much as the PSP forum, so this is going here.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.

HD screen? Overheating, battery problems? Looks like Sony's going for the "super-duper mega graphically-superior powerhouse" route for their next handheld.
That'll show Nintendo! Just like last time, right?
tongue.gif

On a less biased note, I think Sony's approach at a touch panel is interesting to say the least. I'm actually quite curious to see how this'll be implemented in games.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes me curious, but, as to keep my hype level for the 3DS extremely high, I must think of some bad things that might make the PSP2 suck.... hmmm, low battery life? Or what if it feels bad in the hand, like the PSP go? What about UMDs?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
The title is totally misleading, since it's only a rumor...
Many things about the PSP2 are a rumor (including it's look, even), but these two things (larger screen and touch on the back) are confirmed because of the meeting, thus the title and article focusing on them.

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, really hope they a touch screen for menus/typing- that is, if they're going to focus on all the media player/netbook aspects, then make it easy for the user.

If Sony wants to have the posterior touch panel for a "second analog" (or maybe multi-touch and make it for both?), that's great- just don't sacrifice user-friendliness for uniqueness.

I was really hoping they were going to stick with the form factor of the Go- all the mistakes of that system's release had nothing to do with its size. Oh well- maybe this means a pre-E3 reveal?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Interesting to say the least. Not digging that idea for a 'back touchscreen panel', it just sounds so awkward to me. Why not just make the main screen a touchscreen like the iPhone? =/

wolffangalchemist said:
i'll buy it if it get's hacked first thing, if not I'll wait till it builds up a good library of games at least till then i know the 3DS can hold me over.
If platforms were that easy to hack, they wouldn't even be releasing any these days...

Chiverus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as long as its not like the go design (akward analog stick placement) ill look into it however 3DS is something im really much more excited about

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
looks like sony's opting for NO analog sticks what so ever, but then again if this is accurate(didn't read the whole article) it makes sense as a phone/gaming device.
It has a multitouch panel which is being used directly directly inplace of the analogue sticks. This doesn't look like it would work well if you have large hands....

In that touch pad there are also 2 dots, they could be using an optical system like Sony are using on their Google TV Remote.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16